Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I think my title says it all. I am not first time dog owner but I am a first time Aussie owner. Anybody else here an Aussie owner that would lend some advice? She really is a special little girl, just adorable but definitely has a mind of her own.
thanks in advance

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Hello, I think my title says it all. I am not first time dog owner but I am a first time Aussie owner. Anybody else here an Aussie owner that would lend some advice? She really is a special little girl, just adorable but definitely has a mind of her own.
thanks in advance
I've had Aussies since 1970. what do you need to know? Would love to see pictures.

·
Registered
22 Posts
We are first timers too! I will be following this thread! Welcome! I have had lots of help from the members here so far! They have been great!

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I've had my aussie for 9 years and am looking to add a second this year. I would be glad to answer any questions I can. And I second the needing to see pictures of your aussie!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well our biggest issue is the house training, I have read and done all that I have found on it. But nothing is working. She only goes once we all go to sleep. And she is scared of the dark when we go outside in the middle of the night. During the day she does really great outside, loves it even. But I won't crate train her because I just don't think she needs to be locked in a cage and I also live out in the country so there is no need for cages. We have an acre for her to roam and neighbors that are farmers to chase cows if she likes, and nobody minds. But its the pottying in the house that isn't working too good for us. and I have a few pictures to share, that I will add as soon as I figure out how.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is our baby girl Adele. My wife named her the day we got her, when she got in the car this was the artist that came on when we turned on the radio.
She has one brown eye and one 1/2 blue 1/2 brown.
My son wanted her to wear a shirt and take pictures with her. These are what we got....

Attachments

·
Registered
463 Posts
She is adorable but to be honest its going to be very difficult to potty train her at night without using a crate. We don't use one now that the dogs are older, but when they were puppies they honestly loved their crates. It was a warm dark place they could run to when things got crazy in the house, and with 4 people in the house sometimes it was crazy! We kept the crate in the bedroom and got up about every 2 hours to take Chloe out until she was about 12 weeks, then she could hold it for about 4 hours.

Where does she sleep at night? Puppies are like little kids, you wouldn't let a baby wander around at night that's why they have cribs and people don't ever say those are cruel (they don't right?)

Just some food for thought.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Well our biggest issue is the house training, I have read and done all that I have found on it. But nothing is working. She only goes once we all go to sleep. And she is scared of the dark when we go outside in the middle of the night. During the day she does really great outside, loves it even. But I won't crate train her because I just don't think she needs to be locked in a cage and I also live out in the country so there is no need for cages. We have an acre for her to roam and neighbors that are farmers to chase cows if she likes, and nobody minds. But its the pottying in the house that isn't working too good for us. and I have a few pictures to share, that I will add as soon as I figure out how.
Well, unfortunately, when one is opposed to crate training (or another form of confinement when the dog can't be watched), it does complicate house training. If she has free roaming priviledges when everyone is asleep, you really have no way to communicate to her that you don't like where she is choosing to go, or interrupt her when you catch her in the act. My Aussies have been among the easiest of dogs to housetrain, but then, they were supervised carefully AND crated when I couldn't supervise. Crates, like most management equipment, CAN be overused and abused, but are very handy for a number of reasons, used with good common sense. Additionally, there may be times when your dog has to stay over at the vet's or a boarding facility. In addition to normal stress (and in the case of the vet, possibly pain), if your dog has no experience with being confined in a small area they are likely to be panicked. I have one dog who would have surely lost a badly broken leg if he hadn't previously been trained to be calm in a crate. As to letting your dog roam out in the country? There are as many dangers to country dogs as there are to city dogs - they just tend to be better hidden. There are still vehicles that drive way too fast on country roads, there are usuallty large-ish dangerous wildlife like panthers and mountain lions, and packs of coyotes who will draw a dog out and kill them. You also mention she can "chase cows if she likes". VERY bad idea. Cattle can hurt or even kill dogs, especially dogs who haven't been specifically taught to herd cattle - and sometimes even experienced dogs who have been taught. A puppy is certainly at risk. Additionally, despite what your neighbors may be saying now, they WILL mind if your dog starts chasing the weight off their calves, or stressing the cows too bad to give milk. Or run them through fences. Dogs who do these things to people's livestock frequently end up being shot or poisoned by farmers who have an investment to protect.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
also (just wanted to chime in on the crate issue) i was asking my mom who grew up in africa how they potty trained their dogs with no crates. she said they just shut the dog in the bathroom.

same concept, except for a crate is safer because there arent outlets, woodwork, things to chew, ect. all my foster puppies (20+) have been crate trained and like pawz said, its important that the dog learn to tolerate it BEFORE you have to use one at a vets office/groomers/while traveling. At some point your dog will be crated (probably as soon as she gets spayed, as thats where they put them in the office after the surgery) and it will all be much easier if your dog is already crate trained.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I never thought of it that way to be honest. I will definitely be giving that a try too. She likes to sleep in living room or in our bedroom, she isn't really particular on which...where should I put the crate?
I did some reading on it and it seems fairly easy to do, but also its the getting up every two hours that gets me, how long should that go on?
Also, I have been training on the sit and stay, she has sit down pat, but not stay just yet. Any suggestions?
Another is when she wants to be petted she comes over and nibbles, and even while we pet her she still nibbles, sometimes kinda rough, I know she is only doing it in play though, is there a way to control it?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also on the neighbors and livestock, its a close nit community and when one of them lost a dog to some very dysfunctional teenagers were going up and down the road throwing out poisoned meat balls to kills animals, we all came together to find out who it was and to make sure they were punished, I won't go into anymore detail because its not what it was about but we all know each other and know what the boundaries to not cross. But she rarely goes near the fence so its not too much of an issue, one day she might....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can I also see pictures of the Aussie owners babies?? Adele doesn't like to pose too often and I love all colors of the breed, all are just amazing....

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Well I never thought of it that way to be honest. I will definitely be giving that a try too. She likes to sleep in living room or in our bedroom, she isn't really particular on which...where should I put the crate?
I did some reading on it and it seems fairly easy to do, but also its the getting up every two hours that gets me, how long should that go on?
Also, I have been training on the sit and stay, she has sit down pat, but not stay just yet. Any suggestions?
Another is when she wants to be petted she comes over and nibbles, and even while we pet her she still nibbles, sometimes kinda rough, I know she is only doing it in play though, is there a way to control it?
For the nibbling, look for the "sticky" called "The Bite Stops Here". For crating - an area where the dog can be close to family. Start by putting something (good food) in there and shutting the dog OUT. Then open the door and click and treat her for going in, ask her to come out (no click and treat) back in again (click and treat) Ask her to wait in the crate with the door open. You want her to see the crate as a place to relax and get good treats - not something that traps her. At her age (did you say four months?) you may need to set the alarm to take her out once in the middle of the night. Stay comes from slightly increasing the amount of time between behavior (sit) and treat, and doing so gradually.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Also on the neighbors and livestock, its a close nit community and when one of them lost a dog to some very dysfunctional teenagers were going up and down the road throwing out poisoned meat balls to kills animals, we all came together to find out who it was and to make sure they were punished, I won't go into anymore detail because its not what it was about but we all know each other and know what the boundaries to not cross. But she rarely goes near the fence so its not too much of an issue, one day she might....
The thing is, as she grows up, I can almost guarantee that she will start expanding her territory (and will not know where "your" boundaries are. And if she's of decent breeding, she's going to want to control the motion of stock. With cattle this is dangerous for both the stock and the dog. And while your neighbors may be nice caring folk, I can guarantee you that when your pup starts running the weight off the cattle, they'll be less understanding. Will send some pics of my Aussies when I get home

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
welcome to the forum, I have had Aussies for about 17 years. My current three are in my signature (which needs to be updated)

·
Registered
66 Posts
If a crate still makes you feel a little weird, you could also try an 8-panel exercise pen. My boys are both under 2, and they stay in one together (with a top to keep them from jumping out) while I'm at work. That way even if they need to be in there, they can still stand/walk around/play/etc.

This is my little (6 month old) maniac. Pretty quick to housebreak, but in the beginning when he WAS having accidents, he still wouldn't in the exercise pen. I had my doubts at first, figuring the crate really prevented it because they would be forced to lie in their own waste, but even with a little room to roam he held out. Just throwing it out there!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Everybodys replies have been so great, I thank you so much. Some are working, but we still haven't gotten the peeing outside part fixed, she will poop outside but not pee. We haven't gotten a crate just yet since we haven't gotten a chance to get to Petco (its over and hour drive and the closest thing we have here).
Should I withhold her water at night??
Also I have noticed that she really wants to be a lap dog with my wife and her only. Last night we were all settling down and I had our daughter in my arms and she had our son by her, the dog climbed up(she does not jump up) beside my wife on the couch and went to sleep. Do they really pick one person in the family to bond with?
She really is learning the sit and stay very well with my wife, it could because she is with her all day.
All the pictures are so wonderful. Paws how many Aussie's do you have?? I love the black tris very much, Adeles brother was one and the one we almost got but Adele kinda chose us so we went with the only merle in the litter. He is still looking for a home and wish I could get him too but just one is good for us at the moment.
This may be a grooming question but should the hair between the toes be clipped just a little?

·
Registered
66 Posts
JenandWes, is Carter from a merle to merle bread litter? He is beautiful as well just curious.
Yes, unfortunately he is. He's a special little guy, and makes the best of his situation :)

In my opinion, it's pretty typical for them to bond with one person a tad more in the family, while still loving and being extremely loyal to all members. She's also still a puppy, and your wife probably has a very natural and maternal way of coddling her (plus you mentioned that she is with her and training her more often). I wouldn't worry about it.

The time to worry is if she starts guarding your wife from other people/animals. That can happen, too. But like I said, I think it's just a sweet little aussie girl who loves her mommy :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts