Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First snow..Wally confused but playful, me annoyed.

Well, it was the first real test of the "paw protectors" I had bought sometime back. The worked okay in the rain, but now they get the test in the first bit of snow.

First the annoyed part is me because the things kept coming off. It was so frustrating seeing the snow stick to his paws anyway because the protectors kept coming off. So now I'm trying to find some boots that won't cause me an arm and a leg. *sigh*

Wally was confused because he wasn't used to the ground being so blank and white. He had a hard time finding a spot to go potty and I could see him stop and tilt his head like he's trying to understand why the ground changed :) He did it the whole time.

He was playful too, he would pounce on the snowballs he kicked up. He would sniff in the footprints (both mine and his) and play bow at the snowballs (which is the silliest thing I've ever seen! :D) before crushing them. It was fun watching him enjoy the snow. I always wondered how he might react to seeing/feeling snow - seems to be no big deal for him :)

He didn't seem to care about the snowballs on his fur - at least not until he got inside. He groomed them all off him. I think he realized how cold he was too, poor dog was shivering. I gave him some food, had him go on his bed and covered him up.

Really just the bad part with the boots, otherwise, the first snow of the winter was fun for us both :)

I would like recommendations about the boots situation. Use them or no? Which brand(s) you like, etc?

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Re: First snow..Wally confused but playful, me annoyed.

Boots are a hassle; I don't even worry about them. If a dog gets snow packed between their paws they'll just plop down and clean it out.

Don't you just love watching dogs get excited about snow? mine were running circles in it this morning. :D

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, it was so much fun to see him play :) It's like he was a kid!

I never thought dogs would enjoy the snow so much :D

·
Registered
96 Posts
I love these: http://www.pawzdogboots.com/

Super thin, so dogs can feel the ground better. They are also disposable, cheap, and tight -- they don't come off! :D

It's my first winter with my Aussie (and we've had snow since November up here) and she makes me laugh so much! She eats it, jumps like a bunny in it, she's just a joy to watch!

I can't say that I put these boots all the time on her when we go outside, but if I plan to go for a long walk, I'll certainly do so. (I also use those on hardwood floor to prevent slipping/scratching). As they are not insulated, they are not too hot to wear inside as well!

·
Registered
9,307 Posts

Boots are a hassle; I don't even worry about them. If a dog gets snow packed between their paws they'll just plop down and clean it out.

Don't you just love watching dogs get excited about snow? mine were running circles in it this morning. :D
I also have no idea why you would need boots unless dog is entered in the Iditarod (hope I spelled that correctly) Of course I don't believe in clothes hats etc as the noble creature that I think the dog is does not have to be a xmas tree or a clown. I prefer my dogs to be dogs. That being said I don't care what anybody else puts on their dogs as it's a free choice program.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

I also have no idea why you would need boots unless dog is entered in the Iditarod (hope I spelled that correctly) Of course I don't believe in clothes hats etc as the noble creature that I think the dog is does not have to be a xmas tree or a clown. I prefer my dogs to be dogs. That being said I don't care what anybody else puts on their dogs as it's a free choice program.
Yeah, at heart, I feel the same way, but I read about how snow can cause their paw pads to be uncomfortable/crack and not to mention with all salt and crap on the sidewalks and streets (we don't walk in the street of course, but we do cross streets sometimes).

That said, washing the paws when he comes in is not a problem for me (it's what I did after I took him out to pee and enjoy the snow (and sleet at this point) again not too long ago.

I don't do dog clothes though. At most, a bandanna on him since he found a swath of cloth one day and just kept sniffing it every day. I figured he liked it so I put it on him and let him wear it.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts

Yes, I do forget the salt stuff as we are in rural area. You could use vaseline jelly on paws before you walk. Our county does not use salt just sand and since I just turn dog in fenced area to do duty etc so in reality I know nothing about what I am giving advice on. Just keep your dog's paws safe and forget my inane remarks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts