Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We came home last night, after our first real vacation since bringing home the puppies.
We had so much fun!
It was really hard to find a hotel that would accept the dogs, but finally we did. I was nervous, with the barking issue we've had, but they actually did really well, quiet as could be. No potty accidents.
First we went to Holland, MI, and took the kids and dogs to Dutch village. There was a petting zoo there, and the pups got to meet some pigs, which Zoey enjoyed just immensely, a very docile llama, some pygmie goats, and some ducks. They even let us take the pups in with us to the shops, which was really neat.
We had a learning curve about what to do with dogs in the car when we need to stop to eat? It was hot this week.....but we figured it out.
Later on Friday, we drove over to Grand Haven, MI. There was a "pirate invasion" on the waterfront. There were probably 100 people, probably more, and action, gun shots, yelling, etc, and they did reall well, no barking. My daughter held ziva since she is so small we didnt want her to get stepped on, and Zoey sat on the ground near my feet on a leash.
The only incident we had was when this man standing next to me suddenly whipped around to look at me with a horrified expresssion on his face, then looked down, and sighed in relief, "oh. OH! its only a dog". zoey was happily, slowly, deliberately licking him in one long stroke from ankle to thigh. I mean the way the guy looked, as if some random woman had fallen on the ground and started licking him, was so funny.

I cant believe how dog friendly Grand haven is!! We could walk them thru town, there were outside places to eat, shops they could go into. Where we live, Im the odd owner who walks dogs daily, there is no dog park, no place to take them other than a petsmart 1/2 hr away. So this was really nice for us.

I dressed them for the pirate fest yesterday, they got to be in a parade with other dressed dogs and kids, got tons of attention, and won the costume contest, largely bc even though almost all the dogs there were dressed up, we were the only ones who entered the contest! So we won $10 in gift cards to a dog boutique, and bought Zoey some new dishes with it:)

I do have one question: does anyone know what a "Daisy Dog" is? All throughout Grand Haven, people stopped us and exclaimed, "Look! a Daisy Dog!" while pointing at Zoey (pap/poodle mix). Or they would ask us if she was one. I have never heard of a daisy dog, so I didnt know. Does anyone here know? Now Im curious.:)

·
Registered
673 Posts
Lol at the licking story! I can only imagine his horror. Sounds like you had a great time. :) My county is not very dog friendly, so I would love to be able to get away somewhere with the dogs.

And I googled Daisy Dogs and came up with some sort of cocktail designer dog. There's not a lot of conformity in their appearance, but here's an example:

The woman who breeds them has apparently been doing so for decades and lives in Grand Rapids.

·
Super Moderator
11,514 Posts
I'm glad it worked out so well.

These dog-friendly communities seem to be few and far-between, but it's a real joy when you find one. Years ago, we spent some time in Ashland, Wisconsin, on the Lake Superior shore. The motels, the parks, the beaches and the people are all very dog-friendly. I would take my black lab to the beach every morning for a run and a swim. I might have carried a leash, but I didn't use it. On one of those treks, we encountered a walking policeman and I thought, "Oh, oh!" When he passed us, he bid us a good day and complimented me on my well behaved dog (who was frantically trying to rid the beach of seagulls) and continued on his way.

I've been places where that encounter would have led to a heavy fine. Or worse.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
well, hmmn, maybe zoey is a daisy dog for all I know, then:) if no one knows what mixes they are. Grand Rapids is very near Grand Haven, so thats probably why we got so many comments.

There were so many dogs there, it was so fun:) My sons love dogs, and had such fun meeting other dogs out and about. One family asked if my sons could pet their dog, bc apparantly the dog had been abused at some point by a young boy and was now afraid of them, and they were trying to get him good experiences with boys. So my boys were happily playing with this dog, and the dog was happy too, it looked like, and then all of a sudden my youngest boy stood up quickly, confused, and the dog was peeing all over Brennans leg!! the owner was so embarrassed, and then she said, well that just means he really likes you, honey:) lol

Lol at the licking story! I can only imagine his horror. Sounds like you had a great time. :) My county is not very dog friendly, so I would love to be able to get away somewhere with the dogs.

And I googled Daisy Dogs and came up with some sort of cocktail designer dog. There's not a lot of conformity in their appearance, but here's an example:

What made the licking thing funnier is that when she was done, she looked up at the guy, licked her lips and kinda smiled.

There was a shop that had a doggy t shirt that said, "I cant handle my licker" that I almost bought for her:) lol

·
Registered
801 Posts
No pictures?

On a side note: if you're ever in Grand Rapids looking for a place to eat then stop here. It is the best Persian restaurant in MI. Actually, it is the only one. The next closest Persian restaurant would be in Chicago and I must say I was very disappointed with the Persian restaurants in Chicago. I can cook better Persian than the restaurants in Chicago. Shiraz Grille in Grand Rapids was awesome. We're planning another trip to the dog beach on Lake Michigan again soon and we will stop in G.R. just to eat there again.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No pictures?

On a side note: if you're ever in Grand Rapids looking for a place to eat then stop here. It is the best Persian restaurant in MI. Actually, it is the only one. The next closest Persian restaurant would be in Chicago and I must say I was very disappointed with the Persian restaurants in Chicago. I can cook better Persian than the restaurants in Chicago. Shiraz Grille in Grand Rapids was awesome. We're planning another trip to the dog beach on Lake Michigan again soon and we will stop in G.R. just to eat there again.

Fuzzypants: have you gone to the musical fountain in grand haven? we did, it was so pretty, its free, and dog friendly:)

I havent gotten pics up yet, Im frantically trying to catch up homework before tomorrow!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts