Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jaeger had his first puppy class today! It was really fun! There were only 4 other dogs there which was nice because Jaeger is really social and wanted to meet and play with everyone. We were spaced out far enough that I could usually get his attention with treats. I ended up only feeding him half his breakfast so that he'd be interested in the treats, but I'd still like to have more of his attention on me.

Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Practice at home! And bring extra tasty treats like hot dogs or cheese to class. I was at Petsmart today and a class walked by me and my dog in the aisles. They were all pulling on their leashes while their owners tried in vain to teach them the leave it command. It brought back memories of our puppy class at Petsmart!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Use the treat as a "lure" to get him to make eye contact with you. Wave the treat under his nose and then bring it up to your nose/eyes. When he makes eye contact with you give him a treat from your other hand (never give him the lure). Gradually lengthen the amount of time he has to "hold" eye contact with you before getting the treat.

This will cause him to be more focused on you. Once he's really solid on eye contact with the treat at your nose/eyes you can also add distractions such as holding the treat out to the left (rather than holding the treat at your nose/eyes, hold your right arm out perpendicular to your body). He might look at your right hand. If so, no treat. In short order he'll look you in the eyes...and voila! Treat!

I have a rat terrier, a breed known for its independence (i.e. not real focused on people since it's bred to hunt independently) It worked wonders on her because looking at my eyes reduced the chances she'd get distracted by other stuff.

There's a good video on youtube.com showing this. I'll try to find it.
It's at http://www.youtube.com/user/DogAcademyLLC#play/all/uploads-all/0/QLA-bZgkhdw

1 - 3 of 3 Posts