Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's past 9pm and the puppy did some yipping and yelping to get my attention.
I petted on the head and told her that it was sleepy time.
She rolled back onto her bed and went to sleep.
Am I developing any bad habits by giving her a pat on the head or should I ignore her cries and hope she goes to bed on her own.

Also...
Eventually the puppy will need to go to the bathroom because she went last at 7:30 this evening.
Do I wake the puppy and send her out for a potty session or do I wait till she wakes up?
The pup is only 7 weeks.

Let me know what you think

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
If you know she just went out IME it's better to just leave her when she cries otherwise she will start to think she can get your attention and affection by crying.

At such a young age I would set your alarm to take her out at least once in the night. When she's a bit older you might be able to wait until she alerts you that she needs to go out but since it's your first night together you don't know if she will let you know or not. Best to avoid accidents by taking her out on a schedule.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I agree with Gally, if she just went, she's looking for attention. At the same time, night one, well, I'll say I indulged a lot the first night. I couldn't help but think about how scared Caeda was in a new place without her siblings and such. One night of indulgence didn't hurt her any, but I did my best to not indulge later on.
Eventually you'll probably get to know the "I need to go" whine as opposed to the "give me attention" whine...until then though, Gally nailed it, set an alarm!

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
If you have had you puppy for less than a week, then things will change...
The pup may cry for about 3 nights, then settle down. There is the balance of lonely vs. need to go. I have no significant problem with waking the pup to let it empty. If a pup has to pee, then he will usually pee within 30 seconds of going outside.... However, if he has to poop, then he may sniff ... for a while ... to find the perfect spot. The trick is to take him outside on leash, let him pee, then stand where you want him to poop. After a few minutes, take him back in. It's a learning experience in both directions...

Two Free downloads: http://www.dogstardaily.com/free-downloads

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The second night went like this (and I'm on the third night tonight)
The family all got into the van to go to a bible study and Honey stayed behind.
We got home, and Honey was quiet - a big improvement from the first night.
I set the alarm as Gally and took the puppy out for business.
After the business of peeing was done, it was right to bed.
Her in her den and me in my den.
It wasn't too hard.

Now I'm doing it again.
But the difference about tonight, I worked on the crate training all day.
One hour in with plenty of chew toys and at the top of the hour, it was pee and poo time.
This sure is making this night go a lot easier.
Let's see how this turns out tomorrow morning.
Hopefully she doesn't eliminate in her sleeping space.

Thank you again for all of your comments, it sure makes it easier to do the house training.
Thanks

·
Registered
559 Posts
Eventually you'll probably get to know the "I need to go" whine as opposed to the "give me attention" whine...until then though, Gally nailed it, set an alarm!
For sure. If you're anything like me, you'll learn the "I really need to go" whine the night after you try ignoring her whining and she has diarrhea in her crate. Disgusting. But the upside is, you immediately learn to distinguish the urgent whine from the non-urgent ones.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Learing Honey's sounds is tricky right now.
Last night she tricked me.
At 1am, I woke her up from her snoozy woozy dream time and took her out and she did her buisness on the lawn.
I was happy and rewarded her for peeing.
Then at 3:30 the whinning was loud enough for me to wake up from my dream state.
I took her out but she just got some water from a bowl and then sniffed the grass and nothing more.
Then right back to bed.
Then just shy of six am, I took her out for some exercise and she did her buisness - peed and pooped.
Unfortunitly, she didn't do it in the area I would call the buisness zone.
But over, I'm happy.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
You're doing it right! Keep it up. Remember the pup is only 50 days old! Isn't it amazing?
She's still learning about her body and still building control. She won't have control until about 6 mos, so continue to be patient... it's really worth it. ...

No matter what happens, for the moment, don't change what you're doing, because the consistency will help her learn, and will help you learn to distinguish her sounds.

If you have selected her bathroom spot, Don't force the issue for now, just gently guide it by putting a leash on her and leading her directly to her spot. Remember you have only about 15 - 30 seconds from the time you go outside to the time that she stops and squats.
For the most part, it's OK if she pees anywhere outside, then you can guide her to the poop area.

You must clean the poop area once a week, twice a week is better. You don't have to clean up your backyard every day, and the smell will encourage her to return... sniffing one area then pooping out the other end.

But, keep it up. Take notes. In 6 mos, you'll be giving support to other new owners!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

It has been just over a week with our new family member.
And a lot has happened, and for the good.
Honey's sleeping pattern is taking hold.
The family is getting to bed around 8pm and the puppy is in her doggy den by 7 to 8.
Around 9 or 10pm I take her out for a pee job and maybe a poop.
Then again at 2 or 3am.
At first, the poop did not come after the puppy peed, but not anymore.
Now she poos after she pees.
And of course she receives her doggy liver treats for each bowel movement.

This morning I bumped into one of the other litter owners.
I asked how her puppy is doing.
I think she said that the puppy had the run of her house.
And that her pup is peeing and pooing in her house.
After hearing this story, I knew I was on the right path with my puppy.

Having Honey learn the house rules right from the start was the best decision I made.
I appreciate all of your comments and words of wisdom.
For this I know that Honey is going to have a good home with us.

·
Registered
468 Posts
It has been just over a week with our new family member.
And a lot has happened, and for the good.
Honey's sleeping pattern is taking hold.
The family is getting to bed around 8pm and the puppy is in her doggy den by 7 to 8.
Around 9 or 10pm I take her out for a pee job and maybe a poop.
Then again at 2 or 3pm.

At first, the poop did not come after the puppy peed, but not anymore.
Now she poos after she pees.
And of course she receives her doggy liver treats for each bowel movement.

This morning I bumped into one of the other litter owners.
I asked how her puppy is doing.
I think she said that the puppy had the run of her house.
And that her pup is peeing and pooing in her house.
After hearing this story, I knew I was on the right path with my puppy.

Having Honey learn the house rules right from the start was the best decision I made.
I appreciate all of your comments and words of wisdom.
For this I know that Honey is going to have a good home with us.
what happens between 10 pm and 3 pm? Is she in her crate the whole time? Or do you mean 3 AM?

What a difference training can make! You will be SOOOOO happy a few months down the road when your dog can be trusted in the house and her dog can't. I am about half way to potty training with my pup and I am soo grateful that I took the time and effort to potty train instead of just putting a wee wee pad down. What you get out of pet ownership is what you put in it. Don't put it any effort, and pet ownership is going to be frustrating as heck. I love having moments like the one you had, really does re-affirm the choices I have made with my animals.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

From 9pm to 3pm, hmmm
That would be a long time.
Thanks for catching that, nothing like a quick edit.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
OK, been about a week... don't change anything until she's about 6 mos, adapting as needed. For example, if you wake her up and take her outside, and nothing happens for a few days in a row, then you might let her sleep all night. She'll let you know, don't push it.

Start teaching basic behaviors - Sit, Down, Stay, Come, Name, and reward cute behaviors, giving them a name to encourage repeat performance.

Pix?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts