Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone :)

Merlin is becoming borderline yeti and is in dire need of a haircut! I have been advised to wait till all his shots are done, but I feel with the heat, the poor guy is suffering!

He was "puppy groomed - the basics" by his breeder before we got him, but he is a hairy beast now! I have people asking his breed and all I can say is.. well right now a big ball of fur! haha

Is he too young to get a serious haircut?

He has been exposed to brushes and scissors (we cut the hair around his eyes).

Thanks!:whoo:

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
If he has had one set of puppy shots, he should be fine. Just ask the groomer when you schedule an appt if he can be done first and go home right away.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

I was looking into Schnauzer grooming and came across "stripping". I was a little horrified on how they pull out the hair... but it did mention that with a black schnauzer it helps keep Merlin from going gray.

Does anyone have experience with stripping? Is it cruel - sure looks it!

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Thanks!

I was looking into Schnauzer grooming and came across "stripping". I was a little horrified on how they pull out the hair... but it did mention that with a black schnauzer it helps keep Merlin from going gray.

Does anyone have experience with stripping? Is it cruel - sure looks it!
Graco22 just gave me instructions on how to strip ...........

http://www.dogforums.com/dog-grooming-forum/114589-brindle-coats-trims.html

I have been doing this for a few days now and Eddee does not even seem to notice. It is fairly simple too. I am getting good results. :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Terriers don't have to be stripped unless that's what you want. You can have the groomer use clippers and thinning shears instead, to get a nice cut. Stripping is only mandatory for show dogs.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Hand stripping is NOT cruel, nor does it hurt the dog in any way, if done correctly. You are pulling dead coat. Not many groomers know how to do it, and its not cheap. A puppy cut is a generic term that means something different to everyone. The only real puppy cut is on a poodle under one year show trim. TONS of hair, with spray up, etc. Not a cut that can be done on another breed. When a client tells me they want a "puppy cut" I tell them this, then have them show me how much hair they want left on the body, legs, head, shape of head etc. Since you have a schnauzer, you can ask for a breed standard trim, or specify a length all over and head style.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you Graco,

Very helpful! I know stripping would be desirable to keep his colour. But I won't be too offended when he goes grey haha.

I will do the trim thing! I love that idea.. I don't think I am ready to give up his stuffed animal look LOL

1 - 8 of 8 Posts