Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey peeps!

So.. i know i might sound like i'm giving up, but i haven't made much progress on loose leash walking with my dog, and basically he is growing bigger and stronger faster than the progress we make..therefore i think i'm getting a Gentle leader for him..

Now, since i can't go to the states to buy one, i will order it Via Amazon, i know gentle leader has difference sizes, and i was reading that the Medium Size would be suitable for my Siberian Husky (Puppy that is going to be 60lbs or more) but there is also the large gentle leader head collar, which i think is for dogs over 60lbs..

What would be the correct size for my pup??

Thanks peeps!

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Bridgette has a medium and she's about 54 pounds. For a bigger dog I'd guess it would be a large...

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I think a medium would probably be fine but you may want to go with a large just to be safe. The large size fits well on most Golden Retrievers and Labs if that gives you a better idea.

·
Banned
894 Posts
Get an Easy Walk Harness before getting a Gentle Leader. No nose band and just as effective preventing pulling.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I agree on the no-pull harness, but think the Sense-ation Harness would be best because it doesn't have a front loop for all that hair to get caught up in.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
I found the Gentle leader to be 100% adjustable. If you don't mind some extra strap for the neck collar, you can buy the large and adjust it down. I have a large and that is what I got figuring my dog would grow into it.

Now I rarely use a leash and even more rarely the gentle leader. I have both with me for those times when I just cannot compete with the environment.... (it happens..).

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help peeps!

I might have it ordered next week ^^

One more question though... i read that the Gentle leader also stops jumping/lunging.. is this based on how a dog can jump or lunge at people/animals while on walk, or on a daily basis? Or will it stop jumping in all situations?

And the top question..
Will my dog keep the good behaviour even if the Gentle Leader head collar is off?? (Of course, having in mind this will happen when he is well trained with the head collar)

·
Banned
894 Posts
Thanks for the help peeps!

I might have it ordered next week ^^

One more question though... i read that the Gentle leader also stops jumping/lunging.. is this based on how a dog can jump or lunge at people/animals while on walk, or on a daily basis? Or will it stop jumping in all situations?

And the top question..
Will my dog keep the good behaviour even if the Gentle Leader head collar is off?? (Of course, having in mind this will happen when he is well trained with the head collar)
Do not use the Gentle leader with a retractable leash of your dog is prone to lunging.

The answer to you second question is no, the Gentle Leader is a control device, not a training device.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have a gentle leader for my Cockapoo and she just hates it. She lays down, rolls on the ground and is always pawing at her face. I have not watched the DVD yet that came with it, but so far just reading the instructions and using it, she hates this thing..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts