Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I gave turkey necks today, and I picked up some chicken hearts and livers. They were frozen when I was feeding them. I throw the organs on my concrete patio, thinking they'll break up so everybody gets some. WRONG! Still in a giant chunk, and BRigit, my smallest, tries to grab and dash. Luckily I caught her before she could run. To protest, she flails in my arms, and hits me in the face with a frozen chunk of chicken organs! So Gross. I had chicken blood in my nostrils. I also have a fat lip. Thougt you on here would enjoy. I'm going to make sure everything is thawed next time.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Hahaha! Too funny, but it's stories like yours that leads you to have a long experienced life. lol!

Sorry 'bout the fat lip. : ( That's gotta sting.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Well...that is really funny:rolleyes:so sorry about the fat lip though!....

Well my dog hasn't ever had Raw....but just about 10 minutes ago --- I put a raw chicken thigh in his bowl...and his kibble in another bowl.....he licked the chicken ...nudged it with his nose -- then ate his kibble.

I was really nervous --- because I haven't ever given him anything raw -- but have been reading so many posts -- I have wanted to give him the experience -- but he doesn't seem to have any interest.

Did your dogs take to it right away?:confused:

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, my lip went down. I guess it helped that it was frozen meat that hit me, LOL.

And Donna, 1 of my 3 chowed it down, the other 2 took some time, and my little girl still has to be told it's yummy, but then she takes it.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Well...that is really funny:rolleyes:so sorry about the fat lip though!....

Well my dog hasn't ever had Raw....but just about 10 minutes ago --- I put a raw chicken thigh in his bowl...and his kibble in another bowl.....he licked the chicken ...nudged it with his nose -- then ate his kibble.

I was really nervous --- because I haven't ever given him anything raw -- but have been reading so many posts -- I have wanted to give him the experience -- but he doesn't seem to have any interest.

Did your dogs take to it right away?:confused:
I've been feeding raw for a little over a month, and it still takes them a while to figure out every new cut of meat. They had pork ribs for the 1st time today, and that meal took forever.

But the next time I put a pork rib down, there will be no confusion. I'll be lucky if can set the bowl down before all the food is consumed.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
My dogs took to it right away but sometimes a particular cut baffles them. Max has been eating raw food for a year now and this month I bought chicken thighs. He hadn't had any for a while and could not figure it out. He pulled some skin off and swallowed and upchucked it a couple times. It wasn't until the other dog wandered over that he took it into his mouth and started chomping. The skin finally went down the right way as well.

Try pulling off that chewy skin and cutting it to the bone in several places for grab holds or even cutting off a few chunks for him to taste.

Glad the lip is better. I am not fond of fish, I tried cutting it in thirds to avoid the innards, no good. Watching the dog crunch the head, not a good idea.

·
Registered
538 Posts
When a dog has been shown since the beginning of its life that kibble is food, then thats what they know. Showing raw food can sometimes confuse them. They smell it and it is interesting, but......its weird. Sometimes the texture throws them, sometimes the smell. You have to say "Look, this is food." And usually they get it after a little while.

But then again, sometimes they just don't like it (or certain kinds of it). My big dog really doesn't like poultry. I don't force it on him either

1 - 7 of 7 Posts