Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In 3 weeks Im getting my first dog, Brooklynn an 8 week old Labradoodle. What do I need to do before she gets here? I already got her a bed, toys, collar, a vet. Also what should I expect upon bringing her home? :)

·
Registered
521 Posts
Time and patience lol. Sounds like you are off to a good start. Make sure you have a vet appointment set up for the first days you have her. You will need lots of time to get her out and about to socialize her. I notice you didn't mention a crate, which is a very important tool for raising a puppy. Dogs are by nature cave dwellers and most dogs, once trained will go to their crate on their own just to get away from it all. If they ever have to go to the vet over night, (like when they are spayed or neutered) they will be less stressed out. Also, make sure you puppy prooof your house as best you can. Puppies love to chew and electrical cords seem to be very enticing. Until they are good on stairs, I would block those off as well. Puppies can break bones very easily falling.

Congragulations on getting a new pup and make sure to stay in touch and let us know how things are going. Don't forget the pictures.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you! i haven't gotten a crate but that is definately a necessity for I won't always be home. So crate training is very important.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Do you have a pup picked yet? What about a name? Pups are so much fun. If you can maintain a sense of humour during the housetraining, you are going to have a blast. Is this a lab/standard poodle or miniture poodle, in other words what size is your pup going to be?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I have picked her out with the help of the breeder. Im getting the runt of the litter which has its ups and downs. But she isn't that much smaller than her brother and sisters. Im naming her Brooklynn. Her Mom is a lab about 50lbs and her Dad is a labradoodle about 70lbs he is sired from a standard poodle and a lab. So she should be a pretty good size. With more lab genetics than poodle. Im really excited to get her!

·
Registered
521 Posts
I love the name you picked out. It is hard waiting for the day to come to take them home. Fortunately for me our breeder is a friend and I saw Karma and Stryker when they were 1.5 hours old. I was allowed to see them anytime I wanted and when she was socializing them, she brought all 5 puppies to our house to play with our 2 dogs and our foster dog. That helped ease the wait. Is your breeder close by, can you visit the pups?

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Have a cleanup kit prepared and ready, especially for a pup. Mine includes 1 blacklight, 1 spray bottle of enzymatic cleaner, 1 spray bottle of water, 1 shammy cloth, 2 small towels, 1 small package of baby wipes. Expect to use it a LOT.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My little sister actually came up with the name. I was going to name her Baily and she was like no thats what Im naming my dog how about Brooklynn and I just fell in love with it! the breeder is about 1 hour 30 minutes away. She is really close to my parents though so I have scheduled a visit next week. And the breeder is really good about emailing me updates and pictures. So I have been in the loop through out the whole process. Im just really looking forward to bringing her home. This is my first dog and my first pet on my own so Im excited!

·
Registered
521 Posts
Don't forget to add a camera to you list lol. Remember to bring one to your visit next week. We love to see lots of pics. What color is she?

·
Registered
691 Posts
A baby gate! Even of you plan to crate train, you will need a couple to block off areas of your home when the puppy is out. I forgot to buy these so the first couple of days were crazy keeping track of her! They are cheap if you go to Target or WalMart.

I also second getting an enzyme cleaner as there are bound to be accidents. Also, treats and poop bags to get a good start on potty training.

Good luck!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Her Mom is a lab about 50lbs and her Dad is a labradoodle about 70lbs he is sired from a standard poodle and a lab. So she should be a pretty good size. With more lab genetics than poodle.
Actually, with a mix you never know what you're going to get. ;)

My puppy's mom was a lab/German Shepherd mix and her dad was a purebred Akita. Technically, that should make her 25% lab, 25% German Sheperd, and 50% Akita, but she looks and acts exactly like a German Shepherd. I'm by no means an expert on genetics, so I can't tell you why it happens. :)

In addition to the recommendations of a baby gate, cleaners, etc. you will also need a brush and puppy shampoo and conditioner. Definitely invest in a crate and read up on crate training. It's invaluable! Don't waste your money on "wee wee/pee pee pads." IMO they set back potty training and can be dangerous if puppy decides to eat them.

Definitely get a kong. They are great for crate training and if you just want your puppy to be still for longer than 5 seconds. I fill mine with plain yogurt and stick them in the freezer. I have a few so there's one always ready when I need it. Another good kong filling is 100% pure canned pumpkin. It's good for the digestive system. Some use peanut butter but I don't like it (too fattening/messy) and Luna (my puppy) doesn't either.

You will need a doggy toothbrush and toothpaste. Begin training your puppy from a young age to allow her teeth to be brushed!

You will also need some sort of nail trimming equipment. Nails should be trimmed about once a week or every other week. I highly recommend a dremel tool to file the nails down rather than trimming. IMO, it's less stressful/painful for dogs (especially large breeds). Also a good idea to start training young!

Get a strong leather 6 foot long leash for walking. Flexi leads can be nice for potty breaks in the yard and for training "come," but they are dangerous to use walking on streets or sidewalks. If puppy is 20 feet out in front of you, it's just as easy for her to go 20 feet out to the side (and into oncoming traffic!). Leather is a must, IMO, for large breed dogs if you don't want your hands all burned from the nylon ripping through it. It's also much easier to get a strong grip.

Make sure you get the widest collar that will fit your puppy comfortably so there is less stress on the windpipe. I like this one: Petmate by Aspen Pet.

Start researching what kind of food you want to feed your puppy. With larger breeds, regular puppy food isn't a good idea because the protein, phosphorus, and calcium contents are too high. Wellness Large Breed Puppy formula has good percentages, but not all foods that state they are right for large breed puppies actually are. Here is a good site to research dog foods: www.dogfoodanalysis.com. Regardless of what you choose, find out what the breeder is feeding and buy enough of that food to last a couple of weeks. You need to mix it with the new food so puppy's tummy doesn't get upset. Start with more old food than new, then gradually increase the new food while decreasing the old until your feeding 100% new food.

You'll also need treats, and lots of them. I like little slices of hot dogs as training treats, and also Wellness puppy treats. They are soft (hard treats aren't as good for training), have good ingredients, and are nice sized for puppies.

Additionally, before anyone else brings it up, you might want to research back yard breeders (BYB) on the forum. ;) I'm not saying that your breeder is one, but unfortunately many "doodle" breeders are. I am very glad to hear that the breeder is not letting the puppies go until they are 8 weeks old.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
slj,
I'd be sure to have the vet appointment made and training (puppy-K) classes set up so that she can get the best start possible as far as training and socialization.

Read these threads, they'll be VERY helpful for teaching her manners, you can start this the day she comes home. You can print them out as well.
The Bite Stops Here
Housetraining How To.....
Doggy Zen
Rev Up/Cool Down
Greeting Politely at the door
Training Dog to Greet Politely

Fair warning to all potential posters, do NOT turn this thread into an debate, Keep it friendly.

·
Registered
482 Posts
slj,
I'd be sure to have the vet appointment made and training (puppy-K) classes set up so that she can get the best start possible as far as training and socialization.
I can't believe I forgot to mention puppy class! I was SO helpful, but to me and to Luna!!

Here is a list of classes that were available to me:

Puppy Class: Basically gives the owners tips/tricks/knowledge about raising a puppy. Off leash puppy playtime for the puppies: very good for puppy socialization! (Note: I would not recommend bringing your pup to one of these type classes at Petco/Petsmart because she won't be fully vaccinated yet).

Puppy Kindergarten: My understanding is that it is sort of a "pre-obedience class" for puppies under 6 months of age. Luna skipped this one because she was already so big. :)

Beginning Obedience: Luna's in this class now. We're learning heeling, sit, down, sit says, down stays, etc.

There are also advanced obedience classes.

I strongly recommend going at least through Beginning Obedience. In addition to getting a well behaved dog, the classes are also a lot of fun!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Congrats on your new puppy!! You must be so excited :) I think you got a lot of great advice here! I definitely second the puppy obedience classes, they make a huuuuge difference! Or at least they did for me and my dog!

This site has a TON of great information, I definitely suggest checking out the training stickies and the dog food ones too!

I hope you post pics when you get her!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts