Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my 5 year old Yellow Lab mix has stopped eating since we brought our 2.5 month old Sable German Shepherd home this past Saturday. She is not eating that I can tell. I have separated the food and water bowls. Other than that Juno (first dog) seems to be adjusting to Mocha (new puppy). She did throw up twice today just yellow and white foam. She is acting normal and her bowel habits are the same. I am making sure to give her extra love and attention as well. Is this typical psychological behavior for a dog to exhibit? Is she stressed some? If so how can I help her more then I already am? Any advice I would greatly appreciate. The new puppy is spayed, (just spayed 2 days before we adopted her) and is not sick and has had all of her required shots at her age. Juno is not acting sick at all. She is a little withdrawn more than normal and I have not seen her eat. She might be eating at night when I am in bed. Just curious is this is a normal adjustment phase/ period that will pass. She was not sleeping on her dog bed, but just today she got back on her dog bed. I have 4 kids and Juno has been queen of the castle. I am just wondering if this is a phase she is going through, like when I brought each new baby home, what the elder children went through. I am hoping that means she is starting to adjust. Any advice I would greatly appreciate! Thanks, Carrie

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi,
I did want to add that Juno is drinking her water per usual, just not eating her food, as far as I can tell. They are both spayed females and are getting along fine. No aggression issues with either dog. Again, and advice I would greatly appreciate! Thanks, Carrie

·
Registered
173 Posts
Without question Juno is stressed, probably on several levels. With food issues, I would move Mocha away and out of site (with Juno seeing it) before feeding Juno alone. Later feed Mocha, or vice versa. Make sure not to prefer one over the other, let them work out their relationship without you. Do give Juno special time alone with you, walks, cuddles, treats. Juno may be suffering with having to share your affections, space in the house, and the water dish with this puppy that he was not asked about. If its anything like when we added a dog back in October, it took 1-2 months to get them calmed down.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Analogdog! I will do just that! She will eat soft food. Just not her kibble. Thanks again, Carrie

1 - 4 of 4 Posts