Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got Stanley 6 days ago. He is just about 10 weeks old. I am having several issues with him and this is my first puppy so I am not sure if it is just too soon and I need to give him more time, or if I have a genuinely bad dog on my hands.

1. He does not come when his name is called
2. He bites
3. He will not walk on a leash

We can sort of get him to sit, but that's about it.

Please help!

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Have you trained him to come when you call him?

He's a puppy - he is going to bite. You need to train him not to.

Again, he's a puppy - leash training takes time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you trained him to come when you call him?

He's a puppy - he is going to bite. You need to train him not to.

Again, he's a puppy - leash training takes time.
We call his name (cheerfully) but he never comes.

When he bites, we give him a firm NO. The problem is that during play time, he seems to get bored with his toys and wants to play with my girlfriend and I, that's when the biting starts and we tell him no, but it doesn't stop.

What do you suggest for leash and name calling training?

·
Registered
537 Posts
I would suggest a puppy training class. It would be good for socializing your puppy and also for training you on how to train your puppy.

·
Registered
211 Posts
1. He does not come when his name is called
3. He will not walk on a leash
He's a puppy and still learning and has a short attention span. Keep working with this and other tricks using positive reinforcement and you'll begin to see results as the pup matures.

2. He bites
Puppies tend to be mouthy and those sharp needle puppy teeth hurt! You might want to start with Kikopup's video series on puppies, especially the "no mugging" and "default leave it" videos.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
He probably has no idea what his name means. What you want a dog's name to mean is "Look at me!" You need to train him to his name, by saying it, and treating him when he looks at you. If you want him to come, that's a different command, which you also have to specifically train in order for him to know what it means. Before my pup knew "come" - he knew that me squatting down, clapping, and talking enthusiastically meant "Run over to her! Good stuff is happening there!" In fact, his responsiveness to this is one reason I chose him at the shelter vs. the other pups in his litter.

All puppies bite.

You also have to train him to walk on a leash. Dogs are not born knowing how to do this.

I highly recommend puppy classes.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Here are two free downloads: http://www.dogstardaily.com/free-downloads

For name training, find a room with no distraction... and only one person :)
Put him on the floor, ignore him, and let him sniff. Call him name. If he looks at you, praise and give a tiny treat the size of a finger nail. Repeat...
He will learn that he gets attention when you call.

For the leash, Google loose leash walking and Silky leash

For nipping, see the Sticky: The Bite Stops Here

also:
Read this and note the 3 days and the apology....

Some Tweaks to Bite Inhibition (to get him to stop biting when he wants to play):
1. When the pup bites, then yelp. It should sound about like what the pup does when you step on its paw... don't step on his paw for a sample :). When you yelp, the pup should startle briefly and stop nipping. Praise and pet. He'll bite.
2. When he bites the second time, Yelp. When he stops, praise and pet. He'll nip again, although it may be a little gentler. ...
3. When he bites a third time, Yelp (see a pattern?). But this time, turn your back for 15 - 30 secs. If he comes around and play bows or barks, then that is an apology. This is important. Accept it, praise and pet... and cringe in expectation of the next nip...
4. When he bites the 4th time, Yelp, then leave the area, placing him in a 2 min. time-out. It is better if you can leave, rather than moving him. Then, return and interact. (He's still hungry...)
5. When he nips the fifth time, yelp, and leave the area, stopping interaction for now.

Pups need to sleep over night in order to learn their lessons. So, keep doing this for 3 days. By the third day, you should notice signficant Bite Inhibition. He may still nip, but it will be softer and he won't draw blood. Keep up the training and make sure that everyone yelps.... Very powerful method.

If you learn the technique, then you can apply the "yelp" to other circumstances, also. I believe that "yelp" is "Please don't do that, I don't like it." in dog communication. I currently use the yelp when my dog plays tug, then runs with the toy, when he fetches and keeps it out of reach or when he takes a treat too quickly....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts