Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of the posters to this Forum know this stuff, but here is a pretty good article from one of the Humane Society's here.

http://blog.timesunion.com/mydogbandit/a-furry-fourth-of-july/1363/

Brad Shear, executive director of the Mohawk and Hudson River Humane Society and author of the Capital Pets blog, points out that the shelter is offering microchipping for $15 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. July 2-3, just in time for the Fourth of July.

Shear says, “more pets will get loose during the July 4th weekend than any other time of the year because they are afraid of the loud noise of fireworks.” He offers some tips for the holiday celebrations.

Here’s advice from the Humane Society of the United States:

Leave your pet at home. Fireworks displays can be disorienting and frightening to pets, even those who are well socialized.

Families can still enjoy the outdoor festivities by simply having someone remain home to look after pets.

Create a quiet, in-home sanctuary for your pet. Leaving your pet in an area of your home that is sheltered from outside noise and lights will provide a comfortable, low-stress environment.

Pet-proof your home. When scared, some animals can become destructive. Remove any objects that can be damaged or might harm your pet if chewed.
Never leave pets outside and unattended. Even in a fenced-in yard, panic can lead a pet to escape or become injured trying to seek refuge.

Make sure that your pet always wears a collar and tag for identification. In the unfortunate event that your pet gets lost, an up-to-date tag as well as an implanted microchip greatly increases your chances of being reunited.

If your pet is fearful of loud noises, like thunderstorms, be prepared for a similar reaction to fireworks. Consult your veterinarian for suggestions to help lower your pet’s stress levels.

If you plan to travel for the holiday, be sure to make arrangements for your pet.

The same advice applies when dealing with your scared dog during a thunderstorm or any other loud event. Click here for tips on keeping your pet calm during a thunderstorm.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
This is another one of those things people should know(but few do) before they get a dog.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Thanks Elana!

This is our first July 4th with Kaya and we have learned that she does NOT like fireworks (our neighbors have been setting off firecrackers all week - ugh!). So we will likely be spending tomorrow early evening indoors counterconditioning, then making sure she is okay under the bed, where she has taken to hiding this week, when the noises get too loud for the counterconditioning to do any good.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Great reminder. We had our celebrations here on Wednesday (Canada Day). I spent my time on the floor soothing Quinn from the loud bangs (Cartman could care less) - we could hear them from the park (which is 5km away). As I comforted him, I wondered about all the other doggies out there, and hoped their owners remembered not to bring them to the park.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Melatonin has worked great for 2 of my noise sensitive dogs.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Well I learned first hand last night about how easy it is to loose a dog on the 4th. I live in a small valley so its impossible to get the dogs away from the fireworks noise. Im looking after a friends dog(for 10 weeks). She a good girls that listens well. I left both dogs at home and shut all the windows for the noise. When I got home both dogs were unhappy but ok. I tried to calm them down and they seemed fine. I took them outside for a quick pee. Of course a firework goes off and they both run back upstairs to my apartment door. This has been the normal course of action over the past few days. Around 10 feet from my door another fireworks goes off and the dog takes off. I searched for 20 minutes to no avail. As im starting to freak out I get a call that someone has the pooch. She had ran 2 miles out of town. Shes fine. Very close call though
Deeppowder

1 - 6 of 6 Posts