Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am pleased to say that the fireworks which are right on the lake at my house ... and Eddee last evening ... was a great adventure! Just a bowl of tiny hot dog pieces ... and the words "Boom-Booms" ....and Eddee sat and watched the show! ... outside on the deck with me ... intensely! ......... while Abbylynn and Blu Boy were in the house with a very loud TV blaring.

It is amazing what a hot dog can do! Lol! :)

·
Registered
703 Posts
Love it! lol

I can cut a hot dog into at least 100 pieces...it's an amazing resource.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Great picture.
Sounds like you have all bases covered and everyone happy. I have 4 out of 10 hounds that are very frightened of loud noises coming from the sky along with the visual effects.

oldhounddog

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Honestly ... Eddee sat and quietly watched the actual fireworks in the sky ... His attention span is pretty long ... very good! Wonder what else he has in store for me! Lol! :)

This is what I did with Leeo .... and never had a noise/fear issue with him. I hope Eddee remains the same way. :)

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Well yay! Now you have a fourth of july buddy :D
Personally I've always wanted a dog I could haul around with me to go watch fireworks. Troubles isn't sacred of the but he's no fun D:

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well yay! Now you have a fourth of july buddy :D
Personally I've always wanted a dog I could haul around with me to go watch fireworks. Troubles isn't sacred of the but he's no fun D:
Take a bowl of hot dogs with you next year! Lol! All you have to do is say "Yay! Boom-Booms!" and quickly hand out a piece of hot dog! Give him a pat on the head ........ You should have a fireworks buddy for life! Lol! :D

·
Registered
509 Posts
Food doesn't interest my dog - he spent the 4th in the bathtub! :(

·
Registered
878 Posts
Last time I tried to get Hamish to watch the fireworks he barked at them - not in a scared way, but in a totally offended 'how dare you make that noise' way! Had to take him indoors (so everyone else could enjoy them) and watch through the windows :(
Not sure if hot dogs would help......

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Last time I tried to get Hamish to watch the fireworks he barked at them - not in a scared way, but in a totally offended 'how dare you make that noise' way! Had to take him indoors (so everyone else could enjoy them) and watch through the windows :(
I may have gotten lucky that the dogs I pick out are food motivated! Lol! :) A hot dog to Eddee is a high value treat at this point in his new found home. :)

·
Registered
878 Posts
I may have gotten lucky that the dogs I pick out are food motivated! Lol! :) A hot dog to Eddee is a high value treat at this point in his new found home. :)
Oh, he's certainly food motivated, and we're sure one of his ancestors was a sheepdog - you should see him herding us into the kitchen at mealtimes :whip:

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh, he's certainly food motivated, and we're sure one of his ancestors was a sheepdog - you should see him herding us into the kitchen at mealtimes :whip:
Lol! I bet that is a sight to see! :) ..........

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Good for Eddee! I was nervous about what Ham would do with the fireworks -- Tuesday he was barking when people started setting them off, and my husband sat with him and clicked and treated each firework! Wednesday night he just slept through them. Thursday one went off, he barked once, and went back about his business. Phew.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good for Eddee! I was nervous about what Ham would do with the fireworks -- Tuesday he was barking when people started setting them off, and my husband sat with him and clicked and treated each firework! Wednesday night he just slept through them. Thursday one went off, he barked once, and went back about his business. Phew.
Good job Ham and Hubby!!! :D It is great when we can have dogs who aren't fearful.

Poor Abbylynn is just a mess when it comes to thunder. I did get some melatonin today. I will be trying that the next upcoming storm.

During the fireworks Abbylynn and Blu Boy stayed in the house with a high volume TV on. Abbylynn had her comfort calm two hours before the show. Blu Boy is not overly bad about storms and fireworks. They did fairly well ...... Wish I could have been three places at once. :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
LOL, I was over at the in-laws last night lighting off some very small backyard fireworks (I'm talking ones with almost no bang) and their yorkie-westie wouldn't have any bit of it. Not only did she have to go inside but ran upstairs and under the bed. I don't think a whole pack of hotdogs would have helped here. OP is lucky.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Nobody shot off fireworks near me this year, but my dogs don't really care anyways. Actually VA, may have been one of the states that banned fireworks this year, not sure on that one. It has been dry around here, and with as much debris from the storms it probably would have been for the best.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You mention that you were getting melatonin. I have a yorkie rescue about 12-15 lbs. who is a complete basket case with thunder and don't even mention the boom booms. I have 3 rescues - Winnie (basket case) 7yrs. , husband (she was used as a breeder), Rudy 8yrs, and Princess Penny our 9yr Beagle. Rudy and Penny were cool as cucumbers, which was surprising cause penny use to be bad with any kind of gunshot sounds.

Anyway I would truly appreciate any info you have, including the melatonin. how is it administered and at what dose? I need everyone to weigh in on this please - there is another holiday that will be coming up in the very very near future.

I did turn the TV up loud - that sort of helped but not enough. She panted so bad that if you put your hand on her chest it felt like her heart wanted to pop out.

Thanks

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am going by what everyone has said and that it is 1mg per 20 pounds of the dogs weight. Abbylynn is 65 pounds. I bought 3mg melatonin. It came in 3mg, 5mg, and 10mg at my local drug store. I will give Abbylynn just 1 tablet which is 3mg.

Others may be able to chime in ... as this is the first time I will be trying this. The melatonin is in tablet form and sold for humans in the vitamin section at the pharmacy.

·
Registered
545 Posts
People were setting them off near our house last week and Ace barked at them, too. I would never take my dog to fireworks though... it's one thing if you're far away (which it sounds like you are Abbylynn, so I'm not saying this to you) but it makes me completely INSANE when I see people take their dogs to the public firework displays. They're just a great way to terrify and traumatize your dog... I've never once seen a dog at one that was calm, cool and collected.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
People were setting them off near our house last week and Ace barked at them, too. I would never take my dog to fireworks though... it's one thing if you're far away (which it sounds like you are Abbylynn, so I'm not saying this to you) but it makes me completely INSANE when I see people take their dogs to the public firework displays. They're just a great way to terrify and traumatize your dog... I've never once seen a dog at one that was calm, cool and collected.
Yeah ... the kids ( Nieces and Nephew ) wanted me to take Eddee down on our boat right on the lake to see them with my Dad .... there is no way I would want them that close .... especially their poor ears! I know it bothers mine!

I stayed home with the dogs ...... we could see them just fine from the deck. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts