Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I live in an apartment complex and was taking my puppy (Henry-5 months-47lbs) for a walk. Typically, his favorite thing to do is take his time circling the complex and randomly stretching out in the shade of one of the trees. Today, he flopped down right in an ant nest. He didn't even notice. I went to look between his toes for ticks and when I lifted his leg I saw them crawling all over his belly. I got them off, cleaned the area, and applied some cream to the spots. He has not scratched, bit, or licked at them at all. He doesn't seem to really notice them at all. It has been about 6 hours. They look painful. Large red circles with little bumps in the middle. I am not 100% positive they were fire ant bites but just from the bites it seems likely. He's happy, eating, and as hyper as always. No signs of a reaction...yet.

Any suggestions/advice from experienced owners?
Will post a pic if I figure out how.:doh:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Also, I know about Benadryl but don't currently have any. All I have is Alka-Seltzer Allergy pills (which claim to have the same "Active ingredients as Benadryl) and I do not know if this is a reliable substitute or could hurt him.

Only other thing I have is Rimadyl from his neuter.

·
Registered
8,382 Posts
If they are fire ant bites a baking soda mixed with water will take the sting and itch out of them.. I know because as a kid I did the same thing while playing outside and my parents threw me in a tub with baking soda to soak in.. you could make thicker paste just adding a little bit of water to the baking soda to the right thickness and put it on there.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He hasn't really been itching or licking at it, but I went ahead and put on the baking soda paste. Having the paste on doesn't seem to bother him either. Hopefully it will help with any discomfort he's having, thanks. :)

It's 1am here..been jumping at every noise he makes. I'm ready to take him to the emergency clinic if he shows any signs of allergic reaction...so far so good. I'm a paranoid mommy. Not very good at just letting stuff run its course, but this dog seems to always want to test me!

·
Registered
8,382 Posts
glad you were able to make the paste you can rinse it off don't have to leave it on him. and I don't think it will be good that he eats it.. the thing about baking soda is that it neturalizes so having contact will help but you don't have to leave it on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.