Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, i bought an 8 weeks old finnish spitz yesterday. We picked her up in the middle of the day and we were home around 21:00. She lived really far away from us so we had to drive about 500 km to get to her, and then 500 km back, but the ride back went well and were home now.

Anyway, i know that finnish spitzes are pretty primitive and hard to teach etc, but i have a two questions about them.

First of all, a quite important thing for a dog to know is how to walk heel. I've tried walking her a few times but we have never even reached the road any of the times, she just keeps walking around where ever she likes on the yard. Is it normal for an 8 weeks old finnish spitz to behave like this or should i be more harsh with her when i take her out for a walk? Or is it that she is new to our family and she is just exploring the yard? I've seen other people walking with finnish spitzes and they were doing okay.

Second question. What's their favourite treat?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also he is pretty restless even tho i play and try walking with her, but it's pretty hard to walk a dog that doesn't know how to walk to heel. So how do you train a finnish spitz to do so?

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Start with a basic sit and watch me...
Puppy needs to learn to bond with you and love you. That teaches him he wants to work with you.... very important:
you dog sounds like any normal 8 week old puppy... Heel is fairly advanced.... start by looking at Kiko pups Utube trainings... they are fun and useful...
Heres the puppy tips video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCwh7_SjUVM&list=PLF26FD559887E7EA4

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Have you done any research on the breed prior to picking up your puppy?

Please do not use any harsh methods with this breed. They are sensitive and you can cause them to shut down VERY easily. Positive reinforcement only. Don't reward things you do not like, reward what you do like. Redirect from chewing/digging/etc. with a more appropriate activity. Kennel/ex-pen when you cannot directly supervise.

Don't worry about heeling. Just put the pup on a harness (easy walk and other front clips are great) and let her explore on walks. These are hunting dogs - they like and need to sniff on their walks to get some mental stimulation. Start training a nice LLW in your house/yard using a flat collar and go on strictly training walks using that type of collar (i.e. she needs to walk at a LLW or heel but you can put a "go sniff" on cue so that she learns that her walks are work but also she gets to sniff sometimes). Get the energy out first using the harness before flat collar training walks. Reward while on harness for checking in with you. Make yourself a walking treat dispenser (seriously) and reward heavily for her checking in with you/walking next to you when she does so on her own and also if you ask.

Long lines are also a must with these dogs since they cannot be off leash. You can practice recalls in various locations using a long line and harness. My guys love to chase me. I make recalls a game (especially at that age) and just have fun with them. They catch me, they get rewarded, then they go sniff. Lather, rinse, repeat :)

ALWAYS reward when she comes to you even if she has just done the most horrible thing ever prior to your calling her. Start trading for items now so that she never feels the need to play keep away from you.

Check out my website and YouTube channels:
http://www.loistavakennels.com/
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheAgilitytraining
https://www.youtube.com/user/RedFoxDogTraining

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
Firstly, you absolutely must post pictures of your puppy. Its like, absolutely necessary because we don't get enough cute puppy photos around here. ;)

Secondly, its only a puppy for goodness sake, of course it doesn't know how to heel, it's not even in control of its own bodily functions yet. Finkie Mom gave great advice (for dogs in general, not just Finkies). You probably also should let the puppy walk around in public or other areas where unvaccinated dogs might be, as at 8 weeks the puppy probably hasn't had its full set of shots yet and won't be immune to diseases like parvo and distemper, which can be very serious and even fatal, and your puppy could get them from just walking where other dogs have been.

Other than that, enjoy your puppy, and good luck! And post lots of photos!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Finkie, i have have done quite alot of research and im going to hunt with her when she gets older. I just didn't know it would be so tough to have a puppy. Not that much sleep and pee here and there and she has lots of energy, but i am playing with her quite to make her tiered. Oh and i meant strict and not harsch, but ill give her positive reinforcement whenever she does something good. :)

Gingerkid, alright guess ill post some photos. :)

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Thanks Finkie, i have have done quite alot of research and im going to hunt with her when she gets older. I just didn't know it would be so tough to have a puppy. Not that much sleep and pee here and there and she has lots of energy, but i am playing with her quite to make her tiered. Oh and i meant strict and not harsch, but ill give her positive reinforcement whenever she does something good. :)

Gingerkid, alright guess ill post some photos. :)
For these guys, they need lots of mental stimulation as well, so don't forget the training on top of just playing. If you have a pup with toy drive you can also use tugging/ball play in their training.

Where are you located? We can't do any hunting around here, as we are too close to Philadelphia and do not have much open land where hunting would be possible - it's a bummer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For these guys, they need lots of mental stimulation as well, so don't forget the training on top of just playing. If you have a pup with toy drive you can also use tugging/ball play in their training.

Where are you located? We can't do any hunting around here, as we are too close to Philadelphia and do not have much open land where hunting would be possible - it's a bummer.
I live in the northen part of sweden, which is close to finland, and there is a lot of forests you can hunt in here.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I live in the northen part of sweden, which is close to finland, and there is a lot of forests you can hunt in here.
That's awesome! Anything specific she will be hunting for? I've seen videos of pretty much everything, but obviously never got to experience it first hand :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's awesome! Anything specific she will be hunting for? I've seen videos of pretty much everything, but obviously never got to experience it first hand :)
Yeah she will be hunting birds with me and my father. And we chose a finnish spitz because they are good hunters and look awesome! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts