Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a year or two I plan on adding a second dog to our pack. I'd like to go the adoption route again, but I'm being a bit selfish this time around. Ever since I was a kid, I've had my heart set on a Siberian Husky. [No need to lecture about the difficulties of training huskies, or ask if I'm just getting one because of how they look -- I've done the research for 10+ years. I'm also 90% sure Dexter has a good deal of husky in him, so I'm well prepared.]

Anyway... I'm volunteering with a few northern breed rescue groups, so I will know immediately when there are puppies available, but it's not often. [And yes, I could get an adult dog, but I don't always trust where they're coming from and I need the be sure that the dog can be brought up around cats.]

Once I'm looking to add the second pup, I will wait awhile to see what pops up in rescues and in shelters, but if I still don't find the perfect pup, I might go to a breeder. Thing is, I'm so afraid of backyard breeders and puppy mills... how can I be sure the breeder is reputable? I'm in NJ, btw.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
The breeder needs to health test. Not just shots, but test for any genetic problems that are known to the breed. If they don't do that, don't even take a second look.

They don't need to show, although that is a plus.

They should do something with their dogs, whether it be agility, sled training, something. Unless you just want a healthy companion dog, but those dogs should at least have their CGC's to show that they breed for temperament.

Most won't sell you a puppy if they've only talked to you once, they want to get to know you, and will probably do a home visit, and check references.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Jess! MARIONHILL!!!!!!!!!!

When I was asking about Huskies a few months back, I found Marionhill. Jon and I went to visit and OMG better people you could not ask for!

They do not have a website, but they CAN be contacted through e-mail. I've misplaced it, but I could probably find it :D I'm only 10 minutes from their house currently ^_^

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great, thank you all so much!! I was hoping to get some recommendations (Thanks, Xeph!) -- and that Husky Club directory is perfect (Thanks, MoonStr80!), as I was really hoping for some kind of directory of trusted breeders. Thanks again!

I'll definitely keep posting about my journey. I'm getting more and more interested in showing (it's another childhood dream I'd love to fulfill), so we'll see!

·
Registered
60 Posts
The best advice to give would be to go through the AKC or UKC websites and find breeders in your area. The ones listed will not just be show breeders. There are those who work their dogs in other fields. Agility, obedience, etc. You want a breeder who takes the time to do events with their animals. If they are nothing more than housepets then you are looking at a backyard breeder. One who has many dogs but none live in the house is a puppymill. You want one who has them as pets first, show/working dogs second. A good breeder will also make sure that you are good for their puppy. That you make the grade. I bad breeder wont care anything about you other than if you have enough money. Your pup should be healthy, happy, up on most shots and ready to go into your home and start a new life. Have it checked out by a vet before you buy it. If the pup is sick in any way take it back and walk away. Just ask a lot of questions and go by what your heart tells you. Ask to see all their dogs. If they dont want to show you them there is a reason. They are hiding something. Ask to see where they are kept. Again if you are told no. Then you tell them no you dont want a pup and get the heck out. A good breeder doesnt hide things. They are open with all concerned with their babies. Good luck and happy puppy hunting.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
I'd avoid pet stores and puppy mills as a first.

To find a responsible breeder I check out a few things websites, shows, breed clubs. That is how I usually start.

Then I check if they meet my criteria or not, how close what they have is to what I'm looking for. I also prefer to get references too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts