Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 15 months after the thought originally came into my head, I finally have my Wigglebutt Aussie puppy! DH and I were on the list for a pup last year, but then we found out we were expecting a "pup" of our own. :) Wigglebutt plans were put off so that we could prepare for the upcoming birth of our baby, who is now almost 7 months old. The breeder repeated the breedings from last year and we have been waiting and hoping that there was a show-quality, breeding-potential, blue merle male. After all of the temperament testing, herding instinct testing, and structure testing, there was.

Meet "Maximus", who is looking for a new name so that he doesn't end up with the very-common "Max" as a nickname (nothing wrong with Max, but I work in a vet hospital, so I hear it a lot). Open to name suggestions! He came home yesterday and has settled in pretty well.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
humm some boy names that aren't overly common...

Perrin
Link
Laz
Kermit
Hudson
Pickles (had to throw that in, a friend who really wants to name a dog that but wife won't let him)
Bacon

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
We have a blue Merle mini as well, hubby named him Skyler...his fur reminded him of the storm clouds we were watching while we were waiting for our take out order after a visit to his breeder.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all, we are pretty partial to him. :)

We took him to the county fair last night and quite literally could not walk more than 5 feet without getting stopped for people asking to pet him. I was quite impressed with the number of people (99% of them) that had the common sense to ASK if they could pet him rather than just running up and doing so. He loved every minute of it and slept well in his crate last night. Between all the different people, kids, lights, sounds, surfaces, and animals, I don't think we could have asked for a better place to socialize him. He was an absolute all-star about everything, so I'm feeling pretty good about his chances of being a well-rounded adult.

He still does not have a name. The best that DH and I could agree on is "Ty", but I don't know that it even fits him. *sigh* This may rival the battle for naming our daughter...

·
Registered
891 Posts
Thanks all, we are pretty partial to him. :)

We took him to the county fair last night and quite literally could not walk more than 5 feet without getting stopped for people asking to pet him. I was quite impressed with the number of people (99% of them) that had the common sense to ASK if they could pet him rather than just running up and doing so. He loved every minute of it and slept well in his crate last night. Between all the different people, kids, lights, sounds, surfaces, and animals, I don't think we could have asked for a better place to socialize him. He was an absolute all-star about everything, so I'm feeling pretty good about his chances of being a well-rounded adult.

He still does not have a name. The best that DH and I could agree on is "Ty", but I don't know that it even fits him. *sigh* This may rival the battle for naming our daughter...
Because his markings around the eyes look kind of like sunglasses, I thought Elton might be cute.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hmmm... I've been going back & forth on my next dog. An Austrailian Shepherd is one of the breeds on my short list. Congratulations. He is a beautiful pup.

On my list of names when I look at his face are:

Dollar
Boone
Dodger
Malachi
Flint
Matlock
Bode
Trampas
Maverick
Tyge (pronounced like tiger without the r)
Ramrod (meaning boss man in cowboy speak)
Major

**edited to add: Moon (with his coloring Moon would fit)

Don't know if any of those are of use to you but maybe it'll help :)

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Meet "Maximus", who is looking for a new name so that he doesn't end up with the very-common "Max" as a nickname (nothing wrong with Max, but I work in a vet hospital, so I hear it a lot). Open to name suggestions! He came home yesterday and has settled in pretty well.
Adorable! I love the fluffy puppy pics!
Names:
Miles
Edward
Eustice
Toby
Hawkin
King
Prince

That's one the hardest part of getting a puppy - giving them a name you can live with hearing for more than a decade...

·
Registered
115 Posts
He is absolutely adorable! I like the name Ty. My 2nd skin kids name is Ty. We call him Ty Guy as a nickname.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I like JulieK1967's suggestion of Elton for a name, even better than my own suggestion of Jetston. My puppy should be named Jetson, but I was outvoted by every single member of this family.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, after LOTS and LOTS of debating and hair-pulling, we have finally come to an agreement that the pup's name will be Maverick, Mav for short. He already responds to Max, so changing it to Mav will be pretty easy. I'm going to clear it with his breeder, but I think Dh and I also agreed that his show name will be Wigglebutt Top Gun. I have DH that final say on his name, and as of this morning he said Maverick seemed right...we'll see if it still seems right by the time he gets home from work! :)

Thanks to all for the compliments and names.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts