Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 5 year old Shiba Inu has been troubled by horrible allergies and GI distress. My vet recommended trying Nature's Variety Instinct Rabbit formula. I have been using it all summer. I use a rotation of the kibble, cans, and raw patties. My sweet fella has never looked so good or have been without tummy issues. Fast forward to this weekend, when I discovered there is a problem purchasing this food. I went to 4 different Petcos and 2 feed stores. I bought a few bags of kibble and about 12 cans. That is it. I checked online and cannot get the cans from any online source. I am freaking out. I emailed Instinct and they located a 25 pound bag and 3 cans from a store about 35 minutes away. They explained that the rabbit is hard for them to acquire. Yikes, I am so worried about what to do if I can no longer find it anywhere. Figures!

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Rabbit hard to acquire - at the rate they breed - bull cocky! I know that formula is terribly expensive, but still... Maybe they're not selling enough of it to make a profit so they're phasing it out.

For canned food, Evanger's makes some pure meat varieties that are supposed to be good. You can get a case of 24 - 6 oz. cans for $36.73 of Rabbit from the company. Here's a link: http://evangersdogfood.com/?p=30101.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hope they are not phasing it out. Apparently they used to source the rabbit from China, they now are dealing with US distributors and will have more in production soon. Thank you so much for the link, I will definitely be looking into Evangers. Have a great night!

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I'm feeding it right now and bought it here. I usually buy 13-15 pound bags online and spend a bit more on other supplies so that I can activate the free shipping. They sell chews and treats and other supplies, so it's not difficult to get to the $49 with stuff you'd probably buy anyway. If you want the biggest bag it's already enough alone to activate the free shipping.

I swear they used to sell the canned too, but I'm not finding the rabbit canned variety anymore. Maybe it is an availability problem...

EDIT: Oh, and if your dog does well with the rabbit products, the salmon varieties of NV should work too, since salmon is also a protein source in the rabbit kibble. The salmon kibble does contain herring and menhadden fish, but I'd be surprised if these caused problems for your dog. Worth looking into at least. http://www.petflow.com/product/natures-variety/natures-variety-instinct-grain-free-salmon-dry-dog-food

·
Banned
1,765 Posts
If they actually stopped sourcing their rabbit meal from China, then a shortage/formula change/price increase can be pretty much expected.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have hoarded about 100 pounds of dry food. I cleared out 4 stores. It is the cans that I can't find and need soon. How much dry do you feed your dog? My dog is 29 pounds and he gets about 1 cup dry topped with a heaping tablespoon of wet.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Pay attention to the expiration dates on all that food. You don't want it to go bad before you can use it, especially since your dog doesn't eat much.

The Petco in Peachtree City, GA had the NVI Rabbit on the shelf yesterday, if that helps. You might be able to order it from them and have it shipped.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All the expiration dates are in 2014. My sister lives in Atlanta GA she is going to purchase some for me. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
All the expiration dates are in 2014. My sister lives in Atlanta GA she is going to purchase some for me. Thank you!
I'd have your sister call ahead to make sure it's still there - hate for her to drive to any of these pet stores for nothing. She can also check out the Top Dog Pet Boutique (I think that's the name of if) off Barrett Parkway in Kenesaw, GA (in the ATL area), as well as the various Pet Supermarkets in the ATL area.

·
Banned
1,765 Posts
I have hoarded about 100 pounds of dry food. I cleared out 4 stores. It is the cans that I can't find and need soon. How much dry do you feed your dog? My dog is 29 pounds and he gets about 1 cup dry topped with a heaping tablespoon of wet.
Oh so it's the lack of cans that an issue? Do you know what your dog is allergic to? Cause since you're just using the canned as a topper, you could maybe try something like tripett. Ingredients are simply: beef tripe, water, garlic, carrageenan gum. Essentially it's just canned tripe with a little garlic. Not meant to be a balanced meal but works great as a topper. They have other ones that have venison or lamb too i think.

1 cup/day sounds reasonable for the size of the dog. I'd think 100lb would last you quite a while and I highly doubt they're going to discontinue the rabbit formula, it's fairly popular. So you may not need to stock up much more....

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Sydney's 20 pounds and gets around 2/3 cup of kibble. Sometimes I replace a meal with egg, meat or fish, but she doesn't really get any toppers. I don't feed the canned version myself.

I agree that it would be helpful to know what exactly your dog is allergic/sensitive to. I bet there are other foods out there that could suit your needs. It's good to provide a varied diet anyway. I personally wouldn't be comfortable with stockpiling that much...I don't feed a whole lot less than you and a 13 pound bag lasts me almost 3 months. You should have food for over a year into the future at this point if I'm calculating correctly. o_o

·
Registered
943 Posts
Its good that you've found something finally that's worked for him, but I agree you should try to introduce some variety if you haven't figured out exactly what it is that doesn't agree with him, instead of stockpiling on one type of food. If you're going to have that much kibble lying around, you best be freezing it to help preserve... don't let the expiry dates fool you, I did the same thing when I first got Cash, I bought 3 huge bags of food and the expiry dates were all within or over a year, and they all went rancid long before the expiry dates...I ended up having to throw half of it away...lesson learned. When I was still feeding kibble, the NV instinct rabbit & salmon formula were a favourite with mine, but I know that Shiba's do really well, and seem to really like fish or fish formulas for the most part. If you haven't already tried it, I would. I think I remember you posting a while back about trying the Acana or Orijen fish formulas.. I'm guess they didn't work out too well for you?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts