Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The LA times finaly got one right! Too bad there isn't a comment section for the article like there were for all their other scathing columns.

Article Here

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
so (and having pretty much known this all along myself) does that mean that they will, in deed, have to go thru a reputable breeder and actually buy a dog/puppy?...see, i have no problem w/ that since they are really trying to find that right dog that will fit/fulfill the family's wants and needs....if they can't go thru rescue to do that, are they going to be "condemned" for not having stuck to their guns and done so?....there is more to this scenario than alot of people are giving account to, and the main one of those is them having done their research and worked to get the right dog the 1st time around....like the article said, what the children have as a dog when they are young shapes their whole dog-owning "career"....maybe they will find one thru a breeder that does have one to "re-home" (tho, in my opinion, there's not much difference in that or the rescue workers...just that the breeder is responsible for those pups from the get-go [well, at least rep. breeders know this])

·
Registered
467 Posts
Just to be clear, that is not an article, but an opinion piece. It was well-written and she makes a very compelling argument for purchasing from a reputable breeder.

It is an excellent piece.

·
Banned
749 Posts
Out of all the promises that Obama made on the campaign trail that will not be filled or forgotten about and there will be many, the one promise that will never be forgotten by anyone is the one where he said the dog will be from a rescue.

As for getting a Portuguese Water Dog he will be hard pressed finding one in a rescue. Perhaps they have chosen that breed not only for it's hypoallergenic qualities but also as a way out of not getting the dog from a rescue. They can do this by explaining that although they did try to find one through a shelter they were unable to. They can explain that the Portuguese Water dog can't be found through a shelter and anyone who wants to find one from a shelter will be up against the same obstacles they were. He will be in fact correct in that statement.

More than likely the dog will come from a breeder and the breeder will have to be a very reputable one because even if the breeder's name is not divulged to the media the name will surely get out to the public. I just hope that when the name is given out of the breeder that the breeder is not overwhelmed with calls from people looking to buy one from the same breeder that the Obama's dog came from. Surely any reputable breeder would refuse to fulfill all the requests. If they decided to fulfill all the requests from prospective customers that breeder will then become a puppy mill owner and it will show that they did not do it because the Obama dog came from them but in fact they did it for the money which is the only reason puppy mill's exist in the first place.

·
Registered
77 Posts
And I despair that we may be heading into a world in which breeding dogs to do what dogs do -- work with, and beside, and indeed even for, human beings -- is considered, by some crooked measure, cruelty to animals.
Hit the nail on the head.

PB

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
I read the article, and then I got curious and I went to petfinder. And while I only found two that weren't mixed, those are two that they could consider if they're really intent on getting a rescue dog.

·
Banned
749 Posts
She will need clipped for her whole life, and brushed regularly.
That said, we do not want people seeking 'non-shedding' as a top priority - it's really a myth that they do not shed, and there's many low shedding breeds out there to choose from that can be easier to accomodate than a PWD.
She will also not be adopted to people with true dog allergies as it's skin and saliva and NOT necessarily hair that cause true dog allergies. People can be allergic to PWD as much as any other dog.
Taken from: http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=13234235

Let's see if they wind up adopting this one. If the rescue group that has this dog adopts to Obama then the above statement goes out the window in favor of adopting to the first family.

This one: http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=13203269 might make it there. I like the name Bernie Obama. Has a nice ring to it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts