Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There doesn't seem to be a Behaviour forum so I am placing this here... Here's the scoop: My 2 yr Aussie, Mikah, just had her first litter of puppies a few days ago and now she has decided that our 10 yr old spayed female German Shepherd, Angel, is the enemy! Twice so far when I have let Mikah out to take a break and "do her thing" she has turned around and attacked Angel with no provocation. Angel is very sweet and does not fight back at all, just looks very confused about "what she has done" (which is nothing). The second time Mikah attacked Angel she tore a chunk out of Angel's ear. This takes place far away from where the puppies are... and she does not do this at all with our two male dogs. Both times I have scolded her severely and told her to "go to her puppies" and she does. I now have taken to putting her on her leash as I walk thru the house to let her outside, and make sure that Angel stays in. Is this because she feels threatened by another female while there are puppies around? We hope this won't become a permanent thing with her after the puppies are gone. Does anyone know what's up with this? Help!

Ace&Mikah's Mom

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Unfortunately this is a sad possibility of multi-bitch homes. The real unfortunate thing about bitch fights is when the start, they are hard to stop. Now, this might have been brought on by becoming a new mom, but it's certainly not something to take lightly. For now I would keep them seperate at ALL times and consult with an animal behaviorist - not a trainer - but someone degreed in animal behavior.
Here is a little more information on Bitch Fights.

http://www.caberfeidh.com/Fight.htm

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am waiting to hear back from the behaviourist that I emailed on Friday. I have been keeping Mikah and Angel separate except for when I pass thru to the house with M to the back door to let her out. There have been no more fights, in fact she basically ignores Angel when she walks by. Hopefully, this willl all end once the puppies have been placed in their new homes. Interesting article on Bitch Fights... the difference is that Angel does not fight back at all... just looks confused... she is very sweet and loving.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts