Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1 year old Border Collie that keeps picking fights with my 6 year old beagle, normally its just barking and easy to control but the past 2 days has gotten alot worse, about 9 stitches worth dog bites from breaking them up, i cant use fingers on each hand.
The border collie gets 4-5hours very activity each day...about 1 hour walk and the rest her jogging,agility.
Beagle gets about 1 hour a day walking,due to age thats all he can handle.
They have both been to the vet and came with no problems after blood and urinalysis. I am not sure what else to do.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Crate and rotate. Once dogs start fighting, it's nearly impossible to stop.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Are they spayed/neutered? That would be a good start, if not, but it's not necessarily the cure-all. If you can't resolve the issue, consider rehoming one of them. I sadly had to do this with a female alpha boxer, that nearly killed my old male lab a couple of years ago, and this was AFTER weeks of rotation, and desensitization training. She had him pinned to the ground by his throat, trying to rip it out. Luckily, my husband, a gym rat, was right there, and he literally had to pry her jaws off his throat - with me beating on her and yelling at her, trying to distract her. He said it was has hard as lifting some of the weights he lifts! I hope you have better luck!!

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Spay/neuter and get the older one a vet check with a complete blood workup including Thyroid T-4 test. A low thyroid (even borderline low) can cause aggression. The meds are cheap, and work well. Until it is resolved keep them separated. Do walk them briskly together though, as that helps them bond.

·
Registered
291 Posts
It sounds like the testosterone is kicking in with your BC. If you cannot seperate them by crating one then i would try a soft muzzle on the BC. It should pass as soon as the BC realises he cannot fight back although you could just as easily have a permanent problem and then only a split yard will prevent the fights.

As for your stitches, well you got them for digging your hands into the middle of clashing teeth. Next time grab the collies back legs and drag backwards. Do not lift them higher than his hips but go straight back. If he has a mouth full and wont let go, Try and turn him over using the back legs as a lever. Until the snapping is finished, keep your hands out of it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The dogs are all spayed and neutered. And i grabbed the first place i could since they were by chance fighting in a crate that time, normally it happens in the open.
The circumstances are normally she(border collie) starts barking at him or he starts barking at her. It never happens in the same room as me all i hear is the barking and when i hear it i try to get to them before it gets worse.
I have been rotating them in their crates ever since and they were already at the vet when i first noticed the problems....before it resulted in fighting.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
Well I think it's impossible to say exactly what the problem is and therefore how to fix it without someone seeing what they are actually doing right before the barking starts. To start, I would keep them separated whenever you are not present for sure, and if you can afford it I would set up a housecall with a behaviorist to try to get to the bottom of things.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We are going to talk to a behaviorist as the rescue i used to foster for has a regular one,so i will give her a call next week.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Oh, thats really not good to know but tell me that is Border Collie attack on beagle and makes him
injured? If yes, its very dangerous situation. It predicts the hate for dogs of others breeds. Border Collie
are more brave and active as compared to beagles. It may be due to some psychological issues.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am not sure she hates the breed cause she gets along with my other beagle great with no fights the spend alot of time playing together and she has always gotten along with other dogs at the activities we do.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts