Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know - Wally must just like vexxing me over the food situation.

Right when I think the food situation is solved (i.e. he's eating completely and promptly when food is presented to him), he does this thing like tonight where he stares at it then goes and lies down.

What's stupid is that he seems to be HUNGRY. When I took it up and put the empty bowl down, he went to the bowl to see if something was there. Thinking maybe he's ready to eat, I put the food back - and nope, no interest.

I'm tired of it. I'm at the point now where if he eats, fine, if not - oh well.

I've tried the usual "if he hasn't eaten in 15 minutes...etc, etc" method - but obviously that doesn't get through to him.

Ah well - if anyone has any breakthrough ideas (short of feeding him what I eat for dinner) I'm all wolf ears - but right now, he can lie there and be hungry. I've tried to be patient - it's run out.

And what really ticks me off is he didn't used to be like this AT ALL with the food thing. He'd eat right alongside me and we could have a meal together.

What I've tried already:

-Feeding him in his crate and leaving him alone
-Feeding him in the area around his crate and leaving him alone
-Feeding him in my room with me there (works sometimes)
-Feeding him in my room and leaving him alone (sometimes works, sometimes doesn't)
-Putting the food on the ground (sometimes works, sometimes not)
-Putting the food on the ground on the red rug he used to eat off of
-Putting the food on the ground in my room
-Feeding him by hand (used to work, sometimes might - but not often)
-Feeding him by doing the "find it" game (worked twice)
-Feeding him with the kong-type toy he likes (never worked)

I'm out of ideas and done coming up with more.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I am by no means an expert, and I have a feeling people will strongly disagree with me here on this...but here goes anyway.

I don't know what breed you have but this is my experience with my older (8 yo) Titus who is a mix breed.

When we first got him 7 years ago, we tried the whole here's the food at this time and if you don't eat, it's going away idea. Never worked. We went through what you seem to be going through. He would maybe eat a couple bites, maybe eat the bowl, maybe eat nothing. More often than not, it was never a whole bowl, or even anything of substance. We tried everything from where he was eating, to what he was eating, to when he was eating. Nothing seemed to make a difference.

Paul one day left the bowl down all day, not even thinking about it. Not once did Titus scarf it down, he just kinda picked it over all day long. If we were in the kitchen, where the food was, then he'd eat until we left. If he was hungry, he'd go eat a bit and then come back to wherever he was.

Since then, we've left the bowl down. Over the course of the day he eats the standard amount appropriate for him, but it's at his pace. *shrug* It's just what he needed.

Maybe this is your solution?

OO, another idea...

Have you tried different types of food? I noticed you listed a lot of different ways for handling feeding time, but nothing about food types.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I don't know - Wally must just like vexxing me over the food situation.

Right when I think the food situation is solved (i.e. he's eating completely and promptly when food is presented to him), he does this thing like tonight where he stares at it then goes and lies down.

What's stupid is that he seems to be HUNGRY. When I took it up and put the empty bowl down, he went to the bowl to see if something was there. Thinking maybe he's ready to eat, I put the food back - and nope, no interest.

I'm tired of it. I'm at the point now where if he eats, fine, if not - oh well.

I've tried the usual "if he hasn't eaten in 15 minutes...etc, etc" method - but obviously that doesn't get through to him.

Ah well - if anyone has any breakthrough ideas (short of feeding him what I eat for dinner) I'm all wolf ears - but right now, he can lie there and be hungry. I've tried to be patient - it's run out.

And what really ticks me off is he didn't used to be like this AT ALL with the food thing. He'd eat right alongside me and we could have a meal together.

What I've tried already:

-Feeding him in his crate and leaving him alone
-Feeding him in the area around his crate and leaving him alone
-Feeding him in my room with me there (works sometimes)
-Feeding him in my room and leaving him alone (sometimes works, sometimes doesn't)
-Putting the food on the ground (sometimes works, sometimes not)
-Putting the food on the ground on the red rug he used to eat off of
-Putting the food on the ground in my room
-Feeding him by hand (used to work, sometimes might - but not often)
-Feeding him by doing the "find it" game (worked twice)
-Feeding him with the kong-type toy he likes (never worked)

I'm out of ideas and done coming up with more.
What is the longest he has gone without eating?

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Some dogs are self-regulating feeders. They will nibble a bit here and a bit there during the day. This is a good thing if your dog maintains a proper weight of his own accord. I've had two like that and they are easy in a number of ways. My current dog will eat more when he is more active and reduce his food intake by half on days when he only gets to lay around. he eats more in the winter than the summer. He maintains his weight within a couple of pounds. Unusual for a retriever.

The disadvantage is that a dog's lack of appetite is usually the first sign that there is a health concern. This is only a problem if you don't keep close track of his eating habits and his consumption.

·
Banned
51 Posts
You are foggetting the obvious. You are trying to overfeed him. He is not hungry. Cut his rations so he will be hungry next meal. Maybe even cut them in half in the beginning until you see if he is going to loose weight.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
What is the longest he has gone without eating?
About 24-36 hours

Some dogs are self-regulating feeders. They will nibble a bit here and a bit there during the day. This is a good thing if your dog maintains a proper weight of his own accord. I've had two like that and they are easy in a number of ways.
Very interesting - perhaps Wally's the same way.

You are foggetting the obvious. You are trying to overfeed him. He is not hungry. Cut his rations so he will be hungry next meal. Maybe even cut them in half in the beginning until you see if he is going to loose weight.
Hmm...

Not saying you aren't right - but I wonder why he looked and sniffed the bowl after the food was gone. That's the weird part. I could see if he rejected the food and then didn't care if the food bowl was empty (if he's not hungry - he wouldn't care, right?). I guess maybe he was just seeing if it was empty or that I might have put something else in it?

I have no qualms about cutting the size of his meals. If nothing else - the food will last longer :)

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Do a search and you will see that some people waited their dogs out for days and it worked. I say, by now he knows you will give in at 24-36 hours.
Well - he'll eat *his* food again in 24-36 hours.

I don't give him anything else.

Like, he ate his food this morning, almost exactly 24 hours from his last taste of any food (yesterday morning).

I just present his food to him every 12 hrs (or as close as possible) and if he eats - fine. If not - it comes up and he sees no more food for another 12 hrs.

I don't give in and give him something else he'd rather eat. I know that's just asking for trouble.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Perhaps he only needs to be fed once a day. Wouldn't that make life easier?
It works for me - just that sometimes he does eat twice a day. It's about 50/50. If it was that he never ever ate the second time - it would be pretty clear, but it's like he's thinking he'll get something from me (i.e. my plate) even though I never have done so, and then when he realizes he's not getting a crumb from me, it's 50/50 if he'll eat his food or not.

But it's no problem for me to feed him just once a day. It certainly would make my life easier - just would stop offering the second meal :) He can just watch me eat my dinner and remember when he used to get dinner :D

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
It works for me - just that sometimes he does eat twice a day. It's about 50/50. If it was that he never ever ate the second time - it would be pretty clear, but it's like he's thinking he'll get something from me (i.e. my plate) even though I never have done so, and then when he realizes he's not getting a crumb from me, it's 50/50 if he'll eat his food or not.

But it's no problem for me to feed him just once a day. It certainly would make my life easier - just would stop offering the second meal :) He can just watch me eat my dinner and remember when he used to get dinner :D
As long as he maintains a good weight, I think you are fine.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know one thing - he's DESTROYING his food in the morning now :D

In the evening - I've just stop offering the food.

If nothing else, it seems to have made him food motivated during training - so I use this to my advantage :)

His weight and energy level are just a good as always - so everything sure seems a-ok :)

Thanks for putting up with my rant and offering ideas (including the obvious - which I completely missed!)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts