Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Who was wrong for having their dogs there?

• The owner of the 4 small bratty dogs for having them in with big dogs

Votes: 10 15.2%
  • The owner of the pits for having potentially DA dogs there

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Neither. Things happen

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Both

Votes: 50 75.8%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This situation has me a little confused.

Yesterday we took the beagles and my friends pound dogs to the dog park. There was probably 20-30 dogs there. A good mix. There was a guy there with 4 small dogs: a boston, and 3 other small dogs like it.

Those 4 dogs were being little brats the WHOLE time. They kept ganging up on all the bigger dogs. It didn't become an issue until they ganged up on 3 pitbulls. 2 belonged to one lady, and one belonged to a guy.

Needless to say, these pits did not appreciate it and a fight broke out. A BIG fight. 2 of the pits each had one of the bostons legs and were trashing their heads and pulling in opposite directions. All 4 of the little dogs were being attacked, and about 15 of the rest of the dogs that were at the park got involved. Including my friends dog and Kody was barking at all the commotion.

So I run up to my friends dog and take charge. "Grab the back legs!" I started yelling. Everyone was just hitting the big dogs with leashes and trying to grab the little dogs to get them out of there. They finally got all the small dogs out, and things calmed down. We all just held the dogs that were involved to let them cool down, and the guy left with his small dogs. The boston ended up having a messed up leg from it, but Im pretty sure that was all the damage done.

Now the pit owner said, "THATS why you dont bring small fragile dogs into the large dog park!" I replied, "Just be careful because a lot of people will blame your dogs because they are pits over a boston." She agreed and then the dogs started playing again.

Well a little later on, another boston, a different one comes in, and the pits go nuts. Just the lady's pits, not the guys pit. She grabs a branch off a tree and smacks her dogs with it and says "STOP IT!" The dogs cower in fear, and before long, she leaves.

Im inclined to say yeah the 4 small dogs instigated the problem, but its hard when you bring a pit into a dog park with tons of dogs and expect your dog who was BRED to be DA to like every dog. If that was 2 bostons fighting it wouldnt have escalated to the level it did. It just bothered me when she started hitting them too.

I bring bailey into the big dog park because small dogs annoy her. YET she would never attack one. Yes those 4 dogs were being brats the whole time but they were doing it for a good 45 minutes BEFORE the pits reacted the way they did. My point was that the labs and the aussies, and the dalmations didnt fight back, only the pits did.

So.... who was wrong?

The owner of the 4 small dogs for having 4 small, bratty dogs that could easily get hurt in the big dog park?

Or the pitbull owners for bringing potentially DA dogs into a social enviroment?

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I say both. Is the dog park designated for large dogs? I know some are, but ours isn't. If you bring your bratty dogs into the park (regardless their size or breed) there may be problems. And if your dog attacks other dogs (regardless their size or breed) there's a problem. So, I say both.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I say both owners.

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They're both irresponsible owners.
I agree

I say both. Is the dog park designated for large dogs? I know some are, but ours isn't. If you bring your bratty dogs into the park (regardless their size or breed) there may be problems. And if your dog attacks other dogs (regardless their size or breed) there's a problem. So, I say both.
There is a smaller fenced off area for small dogs but the larger area is not designated for large dogs only.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
I'm putting most of this on the owner of the little dogs. Up until that point, the Pits were well behaved, so I don't think you can blame them for being DA. From what it sounds like, they weren't DA - they just overreacted to another dog's provocation. They're not blameless - if you see four little dogs pestering everybody, then you should pay attention to any warning signs of aggression - but, ultimately, the bulk of the responsibility falls on the shoulders of the instigator.

·
Super Moderator
11,806 Posts
I don't do surveys, but I'll offer an opinion based on a similar experience.

I've stopped taking Esther to the small, local dog park. All she wants to do is chase tennis balls and we can do that in our large yard. (Molly likes to socialize, so I take her sometimes without Esther, but it feels wrong.)

The last time I took Esther, she was chasing her tennis balls and a small dog kept jumping on her, snapping at her pulling on her ears and being generally annoying.

I was a dope, because I didn't stop it. The small dog's owner was a bigger dope, because he didn't stop it and, after about the fifth time, his dog got mugged. I was right there and stopped what probably would have become a fatality. The other owner said it was 100% his dog's fault.

I disagree. It was his fault, and mine, for not stopping it. But, if a big dog kills or injures a little dog, both dogs will end up paying the price.

So, yeh, I say both.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I for one as an owner of all bostons would have never brought my dogs in the larger part of the park if there were that many dogs ect..In the first place Boston are very bitey face when they play which alot of dogs just can't handle that because they are not used to it.

I would say both owners and there dogs were resposible for this incident.

I am not a fan at all of dog parks.I have issues even going to a regular park and people not having there animals leashed at all times.I have had numerous times to yank my dogs up by there harness because someones dog came running up off leash not to mention having HA and DA animals there and having to worry about my kids and my dogs.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I took hope to the dog park yesterday and the same thing happened.

Someone showed up with a terrier that went after every dog that came close with bared teeth and biting and snarling...

It didn't take 5 minutes before one of the large dogs bit back and there was a fight, a large boxer mix it looked like. Owner took the dog out and all the dogs got along fine and played and rough housed etc. including a couple of large dog breed pups about the terriers size that were incessantly chewing and teasing all the adult dogs to play. Luckily my girl just watched it all from a distance and didn't get in the middle.

And this with the park divided into large and small dog areas, but it seems nobody uses the small dog side.

I would have had to be there and see what happened to really have an opinion, but I'd say mostly the smaller dog owner's fault. A park with strange large dogs is no place for an aggressive little dog, much less a pack of them.

And a little on the pit owners fault for not seeing what was coming and avoiding it. If you know your dog answers dominance or aggression with aggression, and there's a mob of aggressive little dogs there you should be on guard for it and not let it escalate.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Both. But honestly, it doesn't matter who should be there and who shouldn't, because they'll probably both continue to go anyway and ignore the signs that their dogs shouldn't be there

·
Registered
473 Posts
I don't know who's fault it was, but I would blame the pit owner. It sounds like the issue was more w/ the Boston's - but when you have a dog that has such a bad rap as it is, I think you need to be especially vigilant. Not because of the damage they can do or because I think they're dangerous, but because there doesn't need to be any incidents w/ a pit looking dog to further the stereotypes.

Perception is reality and any fights/attacks involving bully breeds will automatically be blamed on the meanest looking dog by the masses; regardless of what a rational, logical person may think.

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Both. But honestly, it doesn't matter who should be there and who shouldn't, because they'll probably both continue to go anyway and ignore the signs that their dogs shouldn't be there
sadly, this is true

·
Super Moderator
11,806 Posts
The owner of the pits for having potentially DA dogs there
I must say this about the above option: ALL dogs are potentially DA.

If you looked at Esther, you'd think, "What a sweet ol' hound! She wouldn't ever hurt anyone."

But she has her limits and, when they're crossed, she turns into a wolverine.

Molly is even sweeter and will put up with a LOT because she likes to play and rough-house. But I've seen her stomp on her buddy Zeke (who can be VERY annoying) because Zeke snapped at her.

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
both in general...

but at least where I am legally, the responsibility goes to the instigator.
The problem is that it never happens that way. I said to her, yeah your pits didnt start it but everyone NOTICED the pits involved. THEY were the ones latching onto the boston. So you and I both know the pit stigma. They'd be blamed.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
This is one of those grey areas that everyone keeps talking about...

Even though it took 45 minutes for a fight to break out is irrelevant, dogs all have a breaking point and they can't be held accountable for snapping on those little twerps!

Yes, both parties are at fault for one thing or another, but I rest the heaviest amount of blame on the owners of the Bostons. They should have never allowed their dogs to play in an area where bigger and stronger dogs reside... Nuh-uh! And you can't tell me that was the first time they've seen their dogs act like brats! That's like throwing gold-fish into a pool with sharks... Something terrible is bound to happen!

Donatello is not much bigger than a Boston, and there is no way in hell that I will ever allow him to play with a Pit Bull or any other "bully-breed", so to speak; Not because they can be "DA" but just because of the sheer-fact that Donatello can't back up his bark! I don't need him getting torn to shreds just because he decided he wanted to act like toughsh**. He can be unpredictable at times at certain dogs and snap at them, I don't need him getting his face torn off.

And the owners of the Pits should have never allowed the bullying to continue for as long as it did... They should have left. Whenever Donatello has acted "bratty" or snotty, we've left. I'm not going to allow him to bully or get bullied.

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This is one of those grey areas that everyone keeps talking about...

Even though it took 45 minutes for a fight to break out is irrelevant, dogs all have a breaking point and they can't be held accountable for snapping on those little twerps!

Yes, both parties are at fault for one thing or another, but I rest the heaviest amount of blame on the owners of the Bostons. They should have never allowed their dogs to play in an area where bigger and stronger dogs reside... Nuh-uh! And you can't tell me that was the first time they've seen their dogs act like brats! That's like throwing gold-fish into a pool with sharks... Something terrible is bound to happen!

Donatello is not much bigger than a Boston, and there is no way in hell that I will ever allow him to play with a Pit Bull or any other "bully-breed", so to speak; Not because they can be "DA" but just because of the sheer-fact that Donatello can't back up his bark! I don't need him getting torn to shreds just because he decided he wanted to act like toughsh**. He can be unpredictable at times at certain dogs and snap at them, I don't need him getting his face torn off.

And the owners of the Pits should have never allowed the bullying to continue for as long as it did... They should have left. Whenever Donatello has acted "bratty" or snotty, we've left. I'm not going to allow him to bully or get bullied.
Very well put. I have left the DP before, even though my dogs were behaving, simply because others were not. One thing I remember was that when we walked in I said to my friend, "There are a LOT of dogs here tonight" so we kept a closer eye on our group. Others clearly should have done the same.

Later on another boston, a different one came in and the puts were going right for it like it was a rematch and that poor boston had no idea and was just running away not even instigating

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
The problem is that it never happens that way. I said to her, yeah your pits didnt start it but everyone NOTICED the pits involved. THEY were the ones latching onto the boston. So you and I both know the pit stigma. They'd be blamed.
9 times out of ten yes....

i was actually involved in a similar incident with Bolo once upon a time...though not at an off leash dog park...

i didnt have a car so i walked bolo to the vet one day and the shortest way to go was through a regular park.

she was onleash and a pug and three bostons, offleash charged up to us and started barking and snarling in her face. as the were coming at us i yelled out 'she is dog aggressive, corrall your dogs!' and of course being the da dog she is she exploded on them.

no one was hurt but the owner of the four little dogs called AC on me screaming about the nasty pit bull that attacked her dogs.

AC came and started questioning people and it was determined that it was her fault because her dogs instigated it.

WHY?

because people spoke up and told the truth.

honestly girl, if i had been in your place i would have called AC RIGHT THEN AND THERE and been VERY vocal about EXACTLY what happend.

and if they ended up blaming the pits...i would have gone to court for them.

of course i make it a point as a pit owner to always be the one to call AC if i can beat anyone else to it, EVEN IF ITS MY DOGS FAULT(only once) and tell the honest to goodness truth.

i encourage other pit owners to do the same.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts