Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These are a few pictures of my Texas Lacy dogs Jack Roush & Carroll Shelby, enjoy! Hope everyone had a great year in 2011 and look forward to an even better one in 2012.

Jack Roush

"tracking"

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Awesome dogs! I love the breed but don't see them at all now that I moved out of Texas.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome dogs! I love the breed but don't see them at all now that I moved out of Texas.
Oh? Where did you move? The breed is very hard to find outside of the State of Texas that is for sure. You'd be surprised at how many people in Texas don't have a clue about this dog. They're amazing and probably won't fill my yards up with nothing but blue dogs from now on. Very hardworking and smart as they come and cater very well to my needs as far as hunting goes.

Ah, nevermind I see you're in Oklahoma! Not too far :p

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Oh? Where did you move? The breed is very hard to find outside of the State of Texas that is for sure. You'd be surprised at how many people in Texas don't have a clue about this dog. They're amazing and probably won't fill my yards up with nothing but blue dogs from now on. Very hardworking and smart as they come and cater very well to my needs as far as hunting goes.

Ah, nevermind I see you're in Oklahoma! Not too far :p
Yeah not too far but I don't see any lacy dogs anymore. I lived in College Station and Houston before that and while they weren't common, I'd see them every now and again. Neat dogs but I don't have the lifestyle for them.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Wow, they are gorgeous dogs. I don't know anything about them, but ou said they are hard to find outside of Texas - are they strictly a Texas breed?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow, they are gorgeous dogs. I don't know anything about them, but ou said they are hard to find outside of Texas - are they strictly a Texas breed?
The breed is the only breed to have originated in Texas. So yes, they are very rare outside of the state. Although, I know of two breeders up north and one in Mississippi. The dog is a mixture of Grey Hound, wolf or coyote and Sight hound!

·
Registered
209 Posts
The breed is the only breed to have originated in Texas. So yes, they are very rare outside of the state. Although, I know of two breeders up north and one in Mississippi. The dog is a mixture of Grey Hound, wolf or coyote and Sight hound!
I've actually heard of them, a few years ago while I was randomly searching dog breeds of the world. I didn't know what their breed make-up was though, until now. That's very interesting! Sure makes a gorgeous dog. I am a sucker for the sleek-looking blue/gray and red dogs, like Weims and Vizslas,

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've actually heard of them, a few years ago while I was randomly searching dog breeds of the world. I didn't know what their breed make-up was though, until now. That's very interesting! Sure makes a gorgeous dog. I am a sucker for the sleek-looking blue/gray and red dogs, like Weims and Vizslas,
Within the little over a year that I've been with my two lacys not one single person knew what my dog was or anything about the breed unless at a lacy dog event. I typically get the mutt or weim mix or the newest one I heard recently a silver lab. I'm a sucker for the blue/grey coats as well and thought I'd end up with two blues but I fell in love with Roush since the day I saw him. Pick of the litter too but the breeder has stud rights to him. Love seeing Vizslas work some birds as well!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Wow! Those are gorgeous! I've never heard of the breed before... can you tell me a little more about traits or link me to a couple websites? :)
Thank you everyone for the comments they're very appreciated!!

Right now www.lacydog.com is under maintenance but should be back up shortly. Also you can check out http://www.truebluelacys.com/ a lot of good information there as well.

Three things all Lacy Dogs deserve
1. Regular work that is mentally and physically demanding
2. Strong leadership from a confident owner
3. Challenging and consistent training from day one

These dogs have personalities that would rival that of a 10 year old easily! A LOT of prey drive and determination to please their handler. Very easy to train and work with. Dogs have to be raised with a soft hand or you can ruin them. They mature very late compared to other breeds but if you can stick with it you'll have the best dog ever. I could go on and on about them literally.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I could go on and on about them literally.
Please do! I'm intrigued.

How do they differ from other cur type dogs like Catahoulas, BMCs, etc? The true blue lacy site says that they're generally smaller. I might have to add them to my list of potential future dogs; there's a few listed on petfinder.com in and around Texas.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Please do! I'm intrigued.

How do they differ from other cur type dogs like Catahoulas, BMCs, etc? The true blue lacy site says that they're generally smaller. I might have to add them to my list of potential future dogs; there's a few listed on petfinder.com in and around Texas.
Most of the cur "breeds" started as lines that got bred based on type rather than pedigree. You can get blue BMCs and blue Cats too, so the dilute gene appears to be in pretty much all of them. And despite the physical variations we see today, their basic construction is pretty much the same. The main differentiator in the breeds is geographic more than anything, dictated by the type of work and terrain they excelled in. The Lacys specialized in working free range hogs in the Texas Hill Country brush. Cats did similar work but in the Louisiana swamp. Mountain Curs were developed out East as treeing and big game dogs. But for most their existence, the battle cry of cur breeders was "form follows function" and dogs were bred for working ability. Somewhat "closed" studbooks are a fairly recent phenomena for curs.

Got this bit of information elsewhere but I agree with what is said.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts