Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, what exactly does obedience class entail? I'm going to do it soon when I get some freetime where I can commit 6 weeks, but exactly what would it do to make my dog more 'obedient?'

My biggest thing right now is my dog IN the house is great, she will basically do everything I say in 1 or 2 commands, but outside, you have to repeat it like 10+ times before she complies, why is this the case? I mean, sometimes, she's just standing around next to me and a basic command like "sit" will take 10 times but in the house it will take only 1 command only.

Next, my puppy's separation anxiety has gotten better, she has little bits of it for like 15 minutes after I leave, but she gets better. However, when I have friends over and she's crated at the time, she goes crazy and barks/whines a lot. How do I fix this first of all, to prevent barking when people are over and she's leashed/crated (she also did this when I was at an ultimate frisbee game and she was leashed and just watching us play and she kept barking). Also, what are suggestions to make her not be 'crazy' when people are over. She's super affectionate to people but people especially she doesn't know, she'll be bouncing from couch to couch, wagging her tail and stuff and going bonkers or something. It seems like something difficult to train since you can't have those kind of situations all the time where you have people over and such.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
they should teach you how to control your dog in ONE comand. and the reason your dog doesn't listen to you outside is probably because she isn't conditioned to different distractions and stimuli.

when people come over that I know don't like a overly happy exhuberant dog, I put my dogs on a down stay and they are only allowed to get pets from the guests while they are laying down

·
Registered
246 Posts
You'll get out of obedience class what you put into it. Obedience class does NOT teach your dog; it teaches YOU how to teach your dog.

What I mean by that is obedience class will teach you some very specific commands (sit, stay, etc). But those are just being used as common examples. What you're really learning is the teaching process. Learn the process and you can apply it to just about anything you want your dog to learn.

The reason your dog doesn't respond to you outside is because there's so much more stimulation (distractions) out there. Please understand that dogs don't "generalize" a behavior like we do. Just because "sit" means sit in the living room doesn't automatically mean that it means sit anywhere else. Continuing with the "Sit" example...the dog learns "sit" in the living room...then the basement...then at the door. Next step might be the garage...then at the door in the garage that leads to outside. See? He's beginning to learn that "sit" means sit everywhere! I know it sounds crazy to us, but he really didn't fully understand that.

Since the most difficult "sit" is outside, take it slow. Do sits right outside the door (before he can get too distracted). Then five steps away from the door (or two, or three depending on how well he does). It also helps if you use real high value treats outside (my dog gets chicken outside, dry kibble treats inside).

Enjoy the class. Whatever happens, don't get frustrated or upset. Your dog will pick up on that and assume that learning is a bad thing.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
First, what exactly does obedience class entail? I'm going to do it soon when I get some freetime where I can commit 6 weeks, but exactly what would it do to make my dog more 'obedient?'
It is more than that. You will learn how to tran your dog and you will be given "home work" to do between lessons. Wihile at Obedience class your dog will be distracted and will need to do as requested with New Dogs around. It is a godo experience all the way 'round.

I am attending (another) two classes with my dog now.. two nights a week. SHE loves it. Last night she kept running to the truck and looking at me, "Isn't it time to go to DOG SKOOL yet Mom?"

Try it! It is FUN for the dog!! You will learn things and so will your dog!

My biggest thing right now is my dog IN the house is great, she will basically do everything I say in 1 or 2 commands, but outside, you have to repeat it like 10+ times before she complies, why is this the case? I mean, sometimes, she's just standing around next to me and a basic command like "sit" will take 10 times but in the house it will take only 1 command only.
Ah the Light bulb comes on. We train our dogs inside and they look at us like "WHAT?" when we go outside. We have to retrain (just like we did inside) when we go outside. Now we have a dog that will do the commands on ONE request both in the house and in the backyard. So we take the dog to the local park. We ask the dog to do something and we get that same, "WHAT?" from the dog... and so we have to train all this stuff AGAINin the park.

This is referred to as dogs not generalizing behavior to new environments. It is true.. you need to go to a lot of different places and retrain in each one (usually the time to train takes less and less time) until the dog Generalizes the Command.

When I learned this (Jean Donaldson's book, "The Culture Clash" and again in "The Other End of the Leash by Patricia McConnell".. you should read both) it was a training epiphany. I train my dog EVERYWHERE and with varying levels of distraction. Now if I could just get her to generalize my REQUESTS at DOG SKOOL I might actually LOOK brilliant. *sigh*

Next, my puppy's separation anxiety has gotten better, she has little bits of it for like 15 minutes after I leave, but she gets better. However, when I have friends over and she's crated at the time, she goes crazy and barks/whines a lot. How do I fix this first of all, to prevent barking when people are over and she's leashed/crated (she also did this when I was at an ultimate frisbee game and she was leashed and just watching us play and she kept barking). Also, what are suggestions to make her not be 'crazy' when people are over. She's super affectionate to people but people especially she doesn't know, she'll be bouncing from couch to couch, wagging her tail and stuff and going bonkers or something. It seems like something difficult to train since you can't have those kind of situations all the time where you have people over and such.
What you have is not TRUE separataion anxiety. True SA is a mental obsession often requiring the dog to be on medication. A dog with true SA will hurt itself and destroy a house of a room trying to get out of it if left alone.

What you have is a puppy and that puppy wants to be with you and your friends playing and getting a ton of attention. This is normal.

I suggest putting your puppy on a leash and allowing her to be petted and greeted by your friends. This is GREAT for her socialization. Make sure she sits and have your frineds stop petting her if she gets up from a sit or tries to jump on them. Petting resumes when your puppy sits.

After greeting everyone (and getting a potty break if necessary) put your puppy in a crate with a Kong (or two) filled with Peanut Butter (fill the Kong and freeze it for a couple of hours) or yogurt (frozen) or Liverwurst (also frozen). Cover the crate or put the crate in another room and leave her.

When you go to a game and Puppy can come, but not play, bring her crate (most will fold) and again, crate her with a Kong and cover the crate.

Last, but not least, be sure she gets a LOT of exercise (like an hour or a long walk.. 2-4miles depending on her age) before you crate her so she is REALLY tired.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
Lots of good information here and yes it is about YOU learning how to teach and understand your puppy, why some things work and other things don't, how to bring up a puppy, what to expect at different stages and for puppy to puppy socialization.
We (the trainers) are there to answer questions when things come up and when the puppy's stages of learning change (and they will, many times over the first couple of years of young doghood!).

Puppy classes are really really important and if you pay attention and ask questions you can learn so much. Remember as well, that training is a lifetime thing..it doesn't just end at 6 months of age and a couple of classes. Puppy classes are a good start and you certainly can continue training on your own after the beginner and intermediate classes but many people, who really want to work with their dogs, do dog sports etc continue for the life of the dog.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
First, what exactly does obedience class entail?
The one I went to worked on what we needed to learn to pass the CGC test.

exactly what would it do to make my dog more 'obedient?'
It's not going to make your dog more obedient, it's going to teach you how to train more effectively. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts