Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2 year old lab/german shepherd mix who loves to fetch, but doesn't like to give the toy back to me. I have tried a few different things, like bringing treats to bribe him with so he'll drop the toy, and that has worked somewhat for his frisbee. However, it hasn't worked for the ball, which is his favorite. He would want to play keep away. So instead of chasing him, I would just sit down and ignore him. He would then lay down several feet away from me. After a while I would get up to pick up the ball sitting next to him and he would just pick it up before I got to him and walk away from me. I didn't know what else to do, so I started bringing two balls to the park, and this has worked to get him to drop the other ball.
Now the problem I am having is that when he is returning the ball to me, he will stop and drop the ball about 6 feet away from me and wait for me to throw the new ball. I have tried a few things to remedy this, and nothing I have tried has worked.
I tried not throwing the second ball or going to sit down and waiting for him to bring the first ball back, but he doesn't bring it back. He just lies down next to it. I have tried repeating a command word like "bring" and pointing to the ball, which he will pick up and drop about a foot closer and that's it.
Although this is preferable to the game of keep away that he used to try to play with me, I would still like for him to fully retrieve the ball and drop it by my feet.
Does anybody have any ideas or tips on how we can improve our game?

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Try the video for a few days. It looks like a good process. If you can't make it work, then nuke the dog :) .... don't chase him, instead when he is returning the ball, try running backwards so that he chases you. When he gives you the ball try praising him and giving him a treat or another ball.

Pls Post Pix?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's easy enough to teach your dog to return the toy to hand, rather than have him drop it at your feet.

Here is an instructional video that describes the process ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oFO9Z0oHBA

... or you can google "backchain retrieve" for further info / other examples of this method.
The video looks very thorough. I haven't used clicker training with Gunther, but based on what I have heard, I think I probably should try it. I have never heard of "backchain retrieve" either.
Thanks for the links. I'm going to have to put some serious time into this.

Try the video for a few days. It looks like a good process. If you can't make it work, then nuke the dog :) .... don't chase him, instead when he is returning the ball, try running backwards so that he chases you. When he gives you the ball try praising him and giving him a treat or another ball.

Pls Post Pix?
This problem seems to be ball exlusive. With other toys, like a rubber bone or frisbee, he will give them to me in exchange for a treat and some praise. However, he never wants to give up his ball - except for another ball. It is funny to see him try to pick up both balls at once, though.
Also, I just uploaded several pictures to an album on this site. I'm still working my way around here, having only registered last night.:wave:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Our issue is that the kids decided to play tug of war with our dog when he was a little puppy. Now he thinks fetch is war time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts