Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog is a 8 year old black lab mutt. She knows many commands but I wanted to give her a job to do on a daily basis. My uncles dog is a master at fetching the paper in the morning but she is a bird dog so I guess it was pretty easy to her. I want dixie to do this and I looked on YouTube for help and tried a video. So far I have gotten a toy and she has successful gone and fetched it on command but when I try it with the paper and the same command, she doesn't seem to put it together. Shell get too excited and think I want her to rip it up when I wave it around for her to get interested. She isn't a very high drive dog, very mellow and a definite "if I don't want to, I won't" she doesn't get into her training very much but I know she's smart. It's very frusterating because I know she is capable of the tricks, she just won't be enthusiastic no matter how hard I try to make the training session enjoyable. Please help!!!!

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Start with just having her sit, take the paper and hold it in her mouth, then give it to you for a treat. Do that quite a few times till she gets the idea that giving you the paper = treat. Then have her sit, give her the paper, take a step back and ask her to bring it to you. Then ask her to get the paper from your hands, then lower your hand with the paper a bit at a time, you can put it on a chair, then a box, then books and then the floor if needed.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Since she is successful getting one toy, try with other toys to generalize the actions. I recommend naming every action and turning it into a command, like "Take it" for taking the object from you, "Get it" or "Fetch" for retrieving a faraway object, and "Drop it" to let go of the object or drop it at your feet. Start naming your objects too and saying them out loud once she gets the commands. If you only want her to fetch just the newspaper and nothing more, naming wouldn't be that big of the a deal, but you want to make sure she doesn't fetch anything else, lol. You want to do as many repetitions with different toys so the reactions to the commands become automatic. It'll prevent her from try to tear things up or running off and doing something random with the object. Think of the toys as your "practice newspaper" lol. When you have her successfully "taking" "fetching" and "dropping" a variety of toys, you can move on up to more foreign material. First do a few rounds with the familiar toys, then introduce the newspaper. Ask her to "Take it", and when she does, reward and praise. If she is really hesitant, just reward her for sniffing the newspaper, then touching the newspaper, then hopefully grabbing the newspaper with her mouth. Treat the newspaper like you did the toys, ask her to take it and drop it to the point where she is ok with it being in her mouth. Finally place or throw the newspaper a short distance away, let's say a foot, and ask her to "Get it" be very encouraging. If you have generalized the commands enough, she should be able to connect to the newspaper and fetch it. Reward every step of the way, every little bit of progress deserves a reward. If she doesn't pick it up right away, or doesn't want to train for very long remember that the newspaper probably doesn't taste too pleasant and probably will be drying out her mouth.

One alternative way you can try is to get her to fetch a rope, and when she does like to fetch it you can tie it around the newspaper. This way you can transplant the behavior very gradually. Tie the rope around so that plenty is stick out from the knot that she can pick up the rope part in her mouth, but the newspaper would be dragged along for the ride. As she gets better and getting the rope, tie it so that it gets shorter every time (or cut it, either way, lol). Wind the rope around the newspaper so it seems more rope-y, and have less rope wounded around as she gets better. Gradually you would be able to eliminate the rope altogether and have her just fetching the newspaper by itself.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts