Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
The title of this show is quite possibly the LAST thing I would want to teach my dog.

Why? Fetching a beer involves teaching them to open the fridge.

Dog who knows how to open the fridge... you do the math.

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Let us not forget that dogs are masterful discriminators. Plus, if you have a dog that contrafreeloads, teaching him to retrieve a beer on Superbowl Sunday would be an ideal task. :p

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Let us not forget that dogs are masterful discriminators. Plus, if you have a dog that contrafreeloads, teaching him to retrieve a beer on Superbowl Sunday would be an ideal task. :p
This is true.

I'd still be really afraid of giving that knowledge to the dog. At the end of some days though... it would be quite nice.

I guess that's why I taught my SO that trick! (oh god.... i'm going to get crucified for this one)

·
Registered
743 Posts
That is too cool! Good for Zak George, I watch his videos on Youtube- he's got some pretty neat dogs. I look forward to seeing his show this summer :D

·
Registered
411 Posts
If I taught Bayley that, I'd be finding cats in the fridge...nope that one won't be added to her list of tricks to learn

I bet us poor slobs won't see that on our Canadian Animal Planet :(

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
I taught this trick once. NEVER AGAIN.
I was planning to work on this over the winter, but haven't gotten started yet. Chronic procrastinator. My decision was to teach it with a plastic cooler full of beer. It's a better trick for outdoor yard parties anyway. My boy is definitely not ready for a key to the treasure chest.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
I don't think I'll be even trying to teach this to Wally.

Not only do I think he'd be unable to open the door (not strong enough) even if he did, he takes behaviors and just comes up with creative ways to use them, and I can't imagine what he might do with this.

Teaching him how to open doors on his own was an adventure enough. Couldn't keep a door closed around him for a while. In fact, he will still open a door that has a crack large enough for him to maneuver his nose or a paw into.

And the ones he can't open - bark bark bark...bark bark bark...

Why did I ever encourage him to bark when stuck behind a door? :rolleyes: Oh yeah, it was in case something happened when I'm not around, so he can bark (since I can't hear whimpers all the time).

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
I taught Maddy to get me a Coke or a beer from the 'fridge, which was fine (had a rope pull tied around the door pull). However, I had to remove the rope once Beau arrived, because he learned from watching Maddy, and raided the 'fridge.

The best thing I taught was to find, and bring me the remote control - something I'm always losing! I've ended up having a sofa cushion on the floor, but, hey, that remote was back! LOL

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
I was just discussing something similar with my god mother....she has diabetes and one of her dogs is trained to alert her to when her blood sugar is dropping so she can ether call someone for help or she can get meds or food into her system....but a few times she has not moved fast enough and she has passed out and taken some good falls........So I told her she needs to train the dog to alert her then bring her a can of juice....

we thought she could keep a mini fridge in her room w/nothing but cans of juice in it and the dog could access the cans but not get into anything that might be tempting.. :D

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Cool trick - my dog would just look at me and say, 'screw you, get it yourself: But get this:

I was working at the animal hospital and someone who had ordered a 30 kg (66 lbs.) bag of dog food came in to pick it up. There was a lab in the reception area (not this guy's dog). Operative word: LAB. I brought the bag to the front and lo and behold, the bottom of the bag split open! 66 pounds of food all over the floor....you'd think that would be heaven for a lab. But the lab did not pay any attention. He was not leashed or anything so I'm wondering how they taught him that trick!

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
I was working at the animal hospital and someone who had ordered a 30 kg (66 lbs.) bag of dog food came in to pick it up. There was a lab in the reception area (not this guy's dog). Operative word: LAB. I brought the bag to the front and lo and behold, the bottom of the bag split open! 66 pounds of food all over the floor....you'd think that would be heaven for a lab. But the lab did not pay any attention. He was not leashed or anything so I'm wondering how they taught him that trick!
Maybe he was unusually discriminating. Was it Science Diet?

(Just kidding :D)

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I used to train service dogs through a local prison program. I also trained my dogs in the same manner. I only taught refrigerator to one of them. It was a big mistake. Inga was a very smart girl, she was also one to decide for herself when she thought she was entitled to something. Taking orders is not always the easiest for a Rottweiler. lol Let's just say, there was a reason only one of my dogs ever learned that skill. Inga had a taste for things like Roast, Chicken even cheese cake. I ended up having to put a barricade up in front of the refrigerator for quite some time. I know of many service dogs that do this behavior on command and never step across the line taking a little something for themselves. That was not the case with my girl.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts