Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm getting ready to purchase some fencing to install for my upcoming Golden Retriever puppy (take home date in May). I'm going with a 6' aluminum fence with a bottom dog panel. I'm a little stuck between two styles (note that for style 6, there was not an image with the dog panel style I am going with, but it would be present on purchase):

Where I'm having some indecision is in the event she ever tried to jump the fence. Note that she would never to left out alone for long periods. The only time she'd be out there alone (once grown) would be for potty breaks and some morning exercise pre-walks, and even then I'd be half watching from the house. But as we know, it only take a second for something unexpected to happen. With that in mind...

Overall, I like the look of Style 6 better. But I do worry a little that she could get hurt on the finials if she ever tried to jump the fence. (I have seen some posts where people say their Golden has jumped a 6' fence.) On the flip side, I could see the finials acting as a discouragement for jumping. Are dogs/GR "smart" enough (for the lack of a better term) that they would view the finials as an obstacle and a discouragement to jumping? While Style 3 would be a safer I think, I also see the flat top rail helping in a jump attempt by acting as a foot hold.

So, am I being overly nervous about having the finials on style 6? Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Not sure I think of golden retrievers as escape artists, espec in the scenario you describe (they love their people)... One thing I wish we could change about our fencing though is to have a privacy weave through it, dont like people being able to stick things thru the fence to the dog(s)....
That said, I dont think the finials (the pointy things on top I am guessing?) would really be a danger, but I dont like the concept in general (like what if You need to get over that fence in a hurry? who knows what scenarios could occur in the future ... )...

·
Registered
73 Posts
I like style 3 but wouldn't worry about the golden going over the top if you like 6.

BernerMax, As far as you going over the fence in a hurry I would choose the gate.:)

·
Registered
11,253 Posts
I would choose the smooth top rail. In part though for something that has nothing to do with the dog-- I think that it has a less intimidating "security fence" look that would fit in better with most neighborhoods. Personally, I like the ones that are completely without the spikes as a sleeker style but that's just me.

The other reason is stupid kids-- while I wouldn't want to encourage kids to jump my fence, I wouldn't really want them to get hurt or hung up on it if they tried.

Neither fence would keep out a reasonably athletic adult anyway so the difference between the two for securing your yard against burglars or such is basically nil.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
I like style 3 but wouldn't worry about the golden going over the top if you like 6.

BernerMax, As far as you going over the fence in a hurry I would choose the gate.:)
Right the gate would be the obvious solution-- and I (being in earthquake country as well as Tsumnami territory) like to prepare for all sorts of situations-- and Not being able to use the Gate is one of them!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One thing I wish we could change about our fencing though is to have a privacy weave through it, dont like people being able to stick things thru the fence to the dog(s)....
Thanks for the feedback BernerMax. I ruled out the privacy weave since I'm only fencing a portion of my back yard. Behind me is woods and a pond. So I do not want to block the view. And based on where my house is, proximity to neighbors, etc. I'm not worried about people. Plus, as I mentioned, I plan to always keep half an eye on what's going on. If I ever need to, I can add a privacy weave.

I would choose the smooth top rail. In part though for something that has nothing to do with the dog-- I think that it has a less intimidating "security fence" look that would fit in better with most neighborhoods. Personally, I like the ones that are completely without the spikes as a sleeker style but that's just me.
Thanks for the feedback. They do have a completely smooth rail style (Style #4):

I personally like the stylizing of the spears/finials. So I saw Style 3 as a compromise between a flat top rail and having finials for stylization. I never thought of the finials (like on style 6) as appearing as a "security fence" or appearing intimidating. An interesting point I'll have to consider. Thanks.

The other reason is stupid kids-- while I wouldn't want to encourage kids to jump my fence, I wouldn't really want them to get hurt or hung up on it if they tried.
I had thought about that a bit. Just as an FYI, the top finials (that I'm going with) are not that sharp:

But still.. a stupid kid could poke an eye out easily enough. More food for thought.

Thanks for the feedback. I look forward to seeing what others think.

·
Registered
11,253 Posts
My personal choice rank would be 4, then 3, then 6. In part not just because I like the style, but because I think that is the ranking that would appeal to the greater portion of potential future home buyers. I'm in real estate so whenever I consider an expensive addition or change to a property (something not easily undone like paint or carpet) then I kind of scope out the trends in my area and what buyers are looking for.

In your area, the more pointed style might be more popular and fit in; in my area, the style #4 would likely be the more widely chosen style. I do like that type of fencing and think that if you don't want or need privacy fencing that it is a very classy and secure style, a big step up from chain link in aesthetics.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
I'll be contrary and say that I like style 6 the best for purely aesthetic reasons. I think the finials give it a more classic look. However, for safety (and I always think of the worst case scenario), I'd probably go with style 3.

As far as kids go, when he was young, my husband had a freak accident with a fence like style 6. He still has a huge scar almost completely around his thigh.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
I prefer Style 4, only b/c an enthusiastic Golden or Child could get caught on the finials. Dogs will jump up to say Hello, and kids will reach through any fence to pet the dog. Might prevent potential injury now.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the additional feedback/input. Ironically, I was initially going to go with Style 4 when I was thinking of doing a 4 foot high fence. For a low fence, I think the straight rail looks better and, with the lack of spears/finials, was safer.

But when I decided to do a 6 foot fence, I thought Style 4 looked boring and "institutional" (for the lack of a better term). I felt Style 6 was more stylish for a taller fence. But then when I started thinking about "what if she tries to jump it and fails short", I started looking at Style 3 as a compromise. Hence my question if this was a legitimate fear.

I'm not too worried about kids based on where I live, and since there is a 4 foot space between the upper bottom rail and the lower top rail, only older kids could come close to climbing it. And ultimately there would be little "intensive" to do so since you would still be able to get into that part of my yard via my deck, which has a non-locking latched gate at the top of the stairs. (One set of deck stairs will be in the fenced-in area, and one not.)

Shell brings up a good point about considering resale value of my house. While I plan to "die in this house" :) (in 40 or 50 years hopefully), one never knows. With things like this I try to find the balance between not destroying the resale value, and doing something I like and will be happy with. I think having the high quality fence will help the resale value. But its hard to say how much the style of the top would impact that. I'm going to touch base with my awesome agent from when I bought the house and ask her if she thinks the style will have a significant impact. Thanks for that input Shell.

Thanks again for the input and help. Still trying to make my final choice. (I'm planing on ordering it tomorrow to take advantage of a 10% off New Year sale.) The input helps. :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks melundie... that's the way I've been leaning. It's nice to know someone else can "get there" too in terms of the logic/thought-process. It means I'm not totally crazy/strange :)

·
Registered
614 Posts
If I were choosing a style for my own house, I would go with 4. My house is a 1960's rectangular split level, so that style would suit my house better. I could see the other styles looking great with a country french, or Victorian style house. That's something you might want to consider, but I think what it really comes down to is what will you be happy with!? They're all nice looking fences that will still give you a view of the pond behind you and suit their purpose.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
My sisters house has similar fencing behind their house -- they are in Florida so there is a lake and swampy woods behind them as well-- one thing I have noticed is that they have a fair amount of deer wandering about... and I would worry about one getting hung up on the fence with the spears, not sure if wild life are an issue in your neighborhood...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just placed my order. The input I received here was extremely valuable in finalizing my decision. As I mentioned above, I was originally looking at Style 4 (the plain top) but felt it was a bit lacking and felt a bit "institutional" (for the lack of a better term) for the 6 foot fence. I liked Style 6 with the concave arched finials. But I worried about the risk of injury if my dog tried to jump it and fell short. (And as people pointed out above, it may not go well with my house, and neighborhood.) That lead me to compromise on Style 3 with its flat top and some "protected" finials. But I was never thrilled about that style. Since what I wanted was some additional visual appeal to Style 4, I came up with another solution. Style 4 with some optional scroll work. The only photo on the website has scrolls on every picket. I felt that was too busy, and since each scroll costs $6, too expensive. So I'm going with 3 scrolls per panel. Here is a poorly doctored photo of what it'll look like:

Limited Small Scrolls on style 4(a).jpg
(Click to enlarge)

I think that gives me everything I wanted.

Thanks again for all the input. It truly helped me make a decision as I need to bounce things off people when I make big decisions.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts