Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
We have an Alaskan Malamute and we moved into our first house. When trying to build a fence we found out that the city has a restriction that only 4' fences were allowed unless appealed. The 4' fence would not work for us as our Malamute would be able to hop that fence with no problem. So i went through this very long and very annoying process to get the 6' fence built and the zoning committee voted 4-3 against me building a fence because having a large dog was not a good reason to have a fence.

Has anyone gone through this kind of thing before? We are considering hiring a lawyer but are unsure if that would do anything other than waste money.

Thank you very much in advance.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Sounds like your restricted to a 4' fence. Sure you could hire a lawyer to battle city hall. But you need to understand the mindset of those in power at city hall.

Frankly, I wouldn't spend any more effort in this direction.

As a thought, would you be able to install an invisible fence roughly 4' inside the barrier fence. Then train the dog to heed the invisible fence alert.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I really hate invisible fences, even when used in conjunction with a physical fence.

Is there any way you could make a smaller enclosure with a higher fence behind your house, (like a 10' x 10' dog run), for when the dog needs to be out unsupervised, and then fence the rest of the property with a 4" fence foe when the dog will be supervised?

·
Registered
126 Posts
The only way I'd ever use an invisible fence is in conjunction with a physical fence, and I'm with Knute, it would be my solution to the problem. I don't see why it would have to be set back 4', but if that's because of the way they work and the yard isn't tiny, I'd still do it.

I have a 6' fence and used real electric wire of the horse kind to stop a rescue foster who was a fence climber some years ago. Better than having her run over, picked up by animal control, or suffering some other loose-dog fate.

·
Registered
458 Posts
That is another thought.

Top the 4' fence with a strand of electric fence. Typically, dogs don't leap over a fence, like a horse clearing a fence. Dogs will typically scale or climb the fence.

As a kid, we had a mini-poodle. We had an outdoor run for him with a 4' fence. He figured out how to climb over the fence using either the gate latches or the fence corner braces. He was hit by a vehicle and killed on Kid's day during the local Fair. I remember the heartbreak and burying my buddy. It was a great day at the Fair followed by heartbreak. This was in 1970.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for your help guys. I am not a fan of invisible fences due to some dogs get seizures from the fence. Also, Malamutes have a very high prey drive so she would be through that fence in a second without a way to get back.

After talking it over we have decided to try for a 5' fence.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I would not use an invisible fence alone either. Not only can your dog ignore the fence and go through it, there's nothing at all to stop other dogs from coming in through it and causing trouble.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Im
Hello,
We have an Alaskan Malamute and we moved into our first house. When trying to build a fence we found out that the city has a restriction that only 4' fences were allowed unless appealed. The 4' fence would not work for us as our Malamute would be able to hop that fence with no problem. So i went through this very long and very annoying process to get the 6' fence built and the zoning committee voted 4-3 against me building a fence because having a large dog was not a good reason to have a fence.

Has anyone gone through this kind of thing before? We are considering hiring a lawyer but are unsure if that would do anything other than waste money.

Thank you very much in advance.
had an Australian Keplie that could jump an 8 foot fence like it wasn’t there. He was the size of a German Shepard. When we moved to Virginia and had a large property, i tried the underground fence system. At first he could just jump over it, with the standard collar, then the manufacturer suggested the RF-275 model for stubborn dogs, It work! He would not get within 10 feet of the buried wire, which was just under the leaves for years. We couldn’t have a fence either, this worked. I accidently had the receiver in my pocket and walked near the wire, it knocked me to the ground! He only got zapped one time. Then never went near it. Added a computer backup UPS incase power went out. Bought it on eBay cheap.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I would put up the four foot fence with the posts extending to 6 feet.. not cut them off even with the top of the fence. Then, about 4 feet inside the physical fence I would put an invisible fence.

The other answer would be a dog trolley and a 4 foot fence the dog could not reach.

I would also consider a solid fence the dog cannot see through to limit prey drive and desire to get to the other side.

Hiring an attorney and fighting city hall is a great way to part you with your money and still not get a higher fence. The reason for the taller posts is that IF the dog does jump the fence, you can extend it and can show a valid reason for a variance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts