Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just became a foster and have a female dog who is apparently in heat. I say apparently because the shelter said that when we transferred her. I've only every had neutered male dogs. How do I tell when her heat is over so I can arrange her spay? I've had her a week and a half and there's been no discharge -- some swelling. Obviously since she's new to me I can't tell if her behavior is different from usual. My neutered males try to mount her occasionally but it's not like they are crazily at her. Thanks for any tips....

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
You can get her spay while she is in heat actually.. it's just harder for them to do, and takes a bit longer because everything is swelled up down there. Otherwise you should wait a few weeks.. Three months is best, but I don't know if you are willing to wait that long.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I went through that with my two female dogs recently, just keep them off the furniture and be prepaired for a little bit of clean up from time to time, they will not bleed the entire time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks -- I will proceed with her spay surgery this week. Somehow I had expected heat to be a big messy affair, but I guess that's the human perspective!

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
It can be. Just like in people it varies from dog to dog. I know many people don't notice any discharge at all, while my poor Zoey had so much I had to make her little diapers out of old underwear and stick some Maxi-pads in them :p

It was sad one day when we weren't home.. we left her alone for what was supposed to be just a little while.. Well it turned into a long while and poor Zoey couldn't hold it anymore and she peed inside of her little diaper :(

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Thanks -- I will proceed with her spay surgery this week. Somehow I had expected heat to be a big messy affair, but I guess that's the human perspective!
You are aware that it's definitely riskier to have her spayed during her heat cycle, no? It's recommended to wait 3 months after, before spaying. Yes, it *can* be done, but why?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts