Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I have a 5 month old female American Bully, I was to she should go into Heat around 6-7 months and then again around 12-13 months. During this time are there any differences she will go through leading up to that point?? Like will she show signs before the bleeding starts?? Or will I just notice blood one day and say oh she must be in heat?? I have 2 Male dogs as well one is 6 Months, and the other is 5 yrs which is my gfs dog, I understand I need to separate them from her to prevent her getting pregnant but do I need to make sure they aren't around each other as well for fighting for Alpha or am I over thinking it?? Hope you understand what I'm asking, and thanks in Advance for the assistance and guidance.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
She will start to swell, and they will likely start to show interest in her. Then she will start to bleed. Separate them at all times. Don't even let them play together. A dog does not need to tie for a breeding to take.
And she will be most fertile towards the second week (the end) of her cycle and about a week after, so don't think that once she stops bleeding she cannot get pregnant.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
There's a lot of 'it depends' in the questions you ask. Boys reactions are extremely variable. Some go into moody, noisy, or pugnacious moods when there's a bitch on heat nearby. Some don't react strongly. Some stop eating. Some want to fight. Experienced studs aren't very interested unless the bitch is in full 'standing heat'. Inexperienced boys tend to get excited earlier.
You should be prepared for the worst if yours are at all inclined to fighting, and you DO need good fencing. The time of first heat is extremely variable and it could be 12 mo, or it could be 18 mo, or there could be an initial 'silent season' . . . which the boys may notice but you may not notice. The normal cycle is supposedly 6-7 mo, not 12-13 mo, but this is highly variable.
You will probably notice some swelling of the vulva before bleeding starts. It's useful to note that in a normal heat cycle the first, very apparent, very red bleeding is a real good indicator. The bitch is rarely fertile or receptive when the blood first starts, and if the boys are interested she will rebuff them ... possibly violently. You have a week or so of relative safety from the time of first bleed to the time when you really really really need to worry about unplanned parenthood. If you WANT puppies, the maximum fertility generally comes when the swollen vulva starts turning flaccid, the bitch acts receptive, the boys are very keyed up, and the bleeding has gone from red to pinkish to not a whole lot. The most reliable indicator is a progesterone test, done by your vet.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
It kind of depends on the dog too... like sandgrubber said. I've had girls you could barely tell were in heat, and now my current pup swells up like a... I don't know, something really swollen. LOL! It's almost disgusting... she swells so big that her parts just sort of jiggle around and it's hard to avoid the morbid fascination and not stare at it. For me, once she turned 6 months old I just watched her like a hawk, knowing that it could happen at any time. Thankfully she came into her first heat around 7 months old so I didn't have to obsess for long before it became obvious. Other early signs, in my case anyway, was an increased desire for snuggles - like she became VERY needy about a week before-hand. She's always a snuggler but it was amped up enough to be obvious. Then the next sign was increased urination. We'd go out and she'd pee, then walk 20 feet and pee again. So look for changes in her typical behavior, swelling, obviously bleeding, etc. The first sign you notice, separate your intact males immediately. But sometimes the blood IS the first sign... just depends.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
keep in mind, when she goes into heat for the first time, highly varies. my puppy is 11 months now and has shown absolutely zero signs of coming in to her first season anytime soon, all of her sisters had their first heat months ago, just mine taking her sweet time and pushing me closer to the brink of going "screw it, your getting spayed now" lol

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
You may have to separate your male dogs at the same time as they could start to fight when the female is in season. I would separate them just to be on the safe side.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts