Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's me again, except this time a slightly more tense version.
I've previously mentioned that within the last month-ish I've acquired a new dog in addition to my 10 year old pug/basset mix. They have had a few scuffles in the last month, usually nothing too traumatic and becoming much less frequent (usually only when an issue of possession comes into play- toys, couch space, etc.) so I keep them separated when treats and toys are brought out. However today there was a fight for seemingly no reason and of greater severity than I have previously experienced, it was absolutely frightening.
I came home and offered to take both dogs on a walk, my older dog opted to stay on the couch and sleep as she is older and very lazy. New girl (Sandy) and I had a perfectly fine walk with no problems, I brought her back in and walked over to the couch to greet my old girl (Judy). As I was petting Judy, Sandy walked over (which is odd in itself, the two usually steer clear of each other) and I began petting both and out of nowhere Sandy lunges at Judy and the two go at it. They are all over the place, blood ends up on the wall (though after checking both over there don't appear to be any major wounds) and I cannot get them apart. No amount of stern "No" or "off" comments, spraying with water, or anything would work. After this went on for a while, I managed to get them apart and get Sandy into her cage, but it was overwhelming. I am a single woman and live alone, so I had no back up or support through any of this. Sandy is currently in her crate and Judy is resting, but all seem to be okay, though Sandy is much more active in her crate than is usual for her. As I have mentioned in previous posts, Sandy is in heat, though I'm not sure where in the cycle, could that be part of the aggression problem?
I am really at a loss as to what to do because they had been making such huge amounts of progress with each other up to this point. I don't have much training experience (beyond basic clicker stuff) so really have no idea what to do at this point.
I really cannot imagine getting rid of either of them, but don't want them both to be miserable either. So some advice from more experienced dog owners would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Bitch fights can be rough. Much more intense than the males, and they seem to hold a grudge lol. It does sound as if you were the resource, and it was still a squabble over a "possession" (you).

Being in heat possibly intensified it. Are you planning on spaying? Usually intact bitches are much harder to live with, though it is also the individual dogs, not always a hormone thing. I have several intact bitches together, and it can be quite a challenge, though one of the worse instigators is spayed lol.

Look into training against resource guarding, and begin working now to prevent further trouble. Lots of females don't get along. However it may be simple and have an easy fix, just may take some work at it. I will add, some of the hardest times are when a bitch is first maturing. If they aren't very submissive ( and not to start a whole issue on dominance/submission) they begin to test other dogs at this point, and the stronger personality comes through. Usually corrections from the older dog gets them back on track, but some tough bitches will constantly challenge others.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback. I do plan on having her spayed, I actually attempted to get it done but she was found to have Erlichea and had to be put on a round of antibiotics before that could be done. She went into heat too, so that will delay the procedure further. But it will get done eventually, hopefully sooner rather than later. And I am very much hoping that that will at least help with some of the issues, because before going into heat, it took some pretty clear stimuli to get the two to go at each other.
Sandy also seems to be more excitable then usual today- very eager to go on walks, more restless in her crate, more antsy to be fed. I don't have her formal history, only what the vet has gathered, and it seems she was probably a hunting dog who was confined to a crate most of the time, so human interaction and life as a companion animal are pretty new territory for her. So she could just be a little overzealous. Would you guys recommend contacting a professional to deal with some of those issues? And if yes, where could I look for qualified providers? I used to live in a town with a great trainer on staff at the Humane Society who taught me some basics, but I'm in a new town and really don't know what to look for.
I do think I am the issue, it's just a matter of figuring out how to navigate that! I've never had two attention seekers at once before. Previously it's just been an attention seeker and a more aloof, independent, go with the flow kind of dog. So any advice on training me in that respect is also appreciated!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts