Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I think it helps if your dog or dogs have a CGC and even better therapy dog registered. I have heard of several people that have gotten in that way. It sort of proves that your dog is capable of being well mannered and social. I also think how you approach people makes a huge difference.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I think it helps if your dog or dogs have a CGC and even better therapy dog registered. I have heard of several people that have gotten in that way. It sort of proves that your dog is capable of being well mannered and social. I also think how you approach people makes a huge difference.
I definitely agree with this. We really want to get Bridgette her CGC at some point in the future and start working with Brody. At this point she's not quite there yet, but I am betting it helps a lot with renting!!

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
I rent, and our complex is pretty strict on rules. It's a company rather than individual, and we aren't allowed to own a dog that's over 35 lbs or any aggressive breeds. It isn't really an issue for us, since Basil is a Papillon, and we want to get a Corgi in the future. However, I have seen a couple of GSDs being walked around, but it may just be different rules for different "sub" complexes. There are about a dozen or so mini-complexes within the entire complex, and each has slightly different rules, for instance, only two sub-complexes allow the rentors to be under 21, and a lot of them don't allow pets at all. Luckily for me, the 18+ ones happen to allow pets, too =D (I'm 18 and my boyfriend is 19, so 21+ wouldn't exactly work out for us!) It's all rather complicated here XD

Anyways, so I've a question for all you pitbull owners/rentors... Have any of you tried passing your dog off as a Boxer or a Dalmation mix or something? I doubt they'll be ordering any blood tests to prove that you aren't lying, just like they certainly aren't going to weigh my Papillon to prove that he's under 35 lbs. But really, a lot of pitbulls I've seen might easilly be passed off as Boxer/Lab, or Terrier/Great Dane mixes or something. Do you think it would work? If it did, it certainly might prevent a lot of grief. CrzyBrit, you could tell people that Brody is a Boston Terrier/Great Dane mix if you don't mind a few raised eyebrows, lol! XD

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Anyways, so I've a question for all you pitbull owners/rentors... Have any of you tried passing your dog off as a Boxer or a Dalmation mix or something? I doubt they'll be ordering any blood tests to prove that you aren't lying, just like they certainly aren't going to weigh my Papillon to prove that he's under 35 lbs. But really, a lot of pitbulls I've seen might easilly be passed off as Boxer/Lab, or Terrier/Great Dane mixes or something. Do you think it would work? If it did, it certainly might prevent a lot of grief. CrzyBrit, you could tell people that Brody is a Boston Terrier/Great Dane mix if you don't mind a few raised eyebrows, lol! XD
I understand where you are coming from, but personally I am PROUD to be an owner of a Pit Bull and I refuse to hide the fact that he is what he is. To someone uneducated Nubs can pass for a Boxer just because of his tail. The issue then stems from what to do when someone calls you out on it, and trust me they will.

You are better off not lying from the start. That way there is no chance of drama in the future and your not kicked out of your home for breaking your lease.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
I understand where you are coming from, but personally I am PROUD to be an owner of a Pit Bull and I refuse to hide the fact that he is what he is. To someone uneducated Nubs can pass for a Boxer just because of his tail. The issue then stems from what to do when someone calls you out on it, and trust me they will.

You are better off not lying from the start. That way there is no chance of drama in the future and your not kicked out of your home for breaking your lease.
That's definitely a big factor. I guess if I were an owner of one of those banned breeds, it would depend on how desperate I got. Like, if say Papillons suddenly became banned, I'd never even think of giving Basil up. I'd look all over the place for an apartment if I had to, but if there's absolutely nothing within a reasonable distance from school and work, I guess I'd have to start breaking out the Chihuahua/Spaniel mix stories and try to keep 'em straight XD

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Actually, I've had that exact thing happen before... not kidding at all. I brought Summer in, brought her deposit, her paperwork only to find out they had forgotten to put her weight on the vet records. She wasn't allowed in the apartment until they had an 'official' weight taken by a vet even though it was pretty darn obvious that she was WELL under the weight limit.

That was a mess. I hate renting.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
The town we previously lived in is very liberal and we ran into a lot of rental places/apartments that couldn't have cared less about pit bulls. I don't own a pit bull, but I'm dying for one and have been for a while, and asked at every place in case we decided to adopt.

Now, in our home town, we find they're NOT very open to pits to say the least. Luckily, we bought our house, so a pit might be back in my life shortly.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Actually, I've had that exact thing happen before... not kidding at all. I brought Summer in, brought her deposit, her paperwork only to find out they had forgotten to put her weight on the vet records. She wasn't allowed in the apartment until they had an 'official' weight taken by a vet even though it was pretty darn obvious that she was WELL under the weight limit.

That was a mess. I hate renting.
Oh gosh, that sucks o.o I got some papers from Basil's ex-Foster mom, hopefully his official weight is in there! As for renting, I guess I'll just have to grin and bare it 'till this whole College thing is over >.<

·
Registered
962 Posts
I would like to inject some thought strictly for an honest exchange of view. I was thinking of starting a separate thread titled, The American Pit Bull the Devil Dog??. I would like to express what I feel many dog owners feel if not the majority but would not come out candid and say.

In my opinion the dog as well as the owners share equally responsibility for the tearing the face off a child , or putting the mail man in the hospital, or killing some ones beloved small dog. Have you ever asked yourself why the military, Police, do not prefer using APBT for guard or police work duty. The dog can be plain unpredictable, and very easy to bring out their bad side. When the Germans developed the German Breeds they did a wonderfull job of developing a breed dog that is both courageous, very predictable, and can change handles with out much problems.

In todays paper there is a for sale APBT $100, no papers. So how many people will have your expertise and purchase these dogs, and how many people that like the fighting instinct these dog have and bring it out at dog parks and the like.

What I am getting at, I love dogs but getting a little pissed off at the APBT for bringing down all the large breeds that do not deserve the reputation the PB are giving them. I know how many times I hear it the owner never the dog, but with that said these dog were breed to fight and kill and it is easy to bring that instnict out even without special skills. This is why idiots like the dog owner that attacked the mail man was able to make a bad breed act bad. How often compared to dobbies, GS, do you hear an idiot owner able to train the dog to kill other dogs for fun and attack human. I am sorry I was always indifferent to the breed, but bringing down other breeds I have come to love, makes me angry the breed was ever developed.

An honest opinion from a dog person, not a dog owner!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Hmmm, and here I was thinking most police people didn't use pit bulls because they were lousy guard dogs. Most pits are WAY too friendly for that kind of work. :rolleyes: But you see them in SAR and other work like drug sniffing.

Now, I'm not going to say that all pits are nice and bred properly because like any breed, they're not, but this really isn't what the thread is about. You know, once upon a time, German Shepherds were the 'evil' breed according to the public. I owned one during that time and they still have a lot of reputation problems due to THAT time. I don't think the German Shepherd's bad reputation has a thing to do with pit bulls. German Shepherds had a bad reputation back when pit bulls were known as nanny dogs. The bad rap pits have is a lot newer.

I remember back then we had a GSD and one of his playmates was a pit bull that lived next door. Guess which one most people were scared of...

·
Registered
962 Posts
laurelin, wish you can be more specific what time frame the German Shepherd had the reputation such as the pit bull, "Once upon a time" lol sounds like a fairy tale to me. I remember Rin Tin Tin, and Bullet, Roy Rogers dog as a kid, and the "terminator" , the sheperd was always portrayed as the hero. Was there ever a movie about hero pit bull?

But thats not the point, pit bulls are bringing down alot of breeds that do not deserve the bad rap the PB are taging on to them.

And I apologize for changing the talking point of the thread, but since alot of the most prominent PB owners were here.....

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Um... Excuse me? How dare you come into a thread that you know is full of Pit Bull owners and tear down the breed like it was nothing?

Other breeds don't deserve the rap that Pit Bulls put on them???? How about every other breed of dog that has been called a Pit Bull when it attacked someone only a matter of days later to be called a "Lab" or "Collie mix" or "boxer" or "Mastiff"? How about those breeds and those owners that decided that just because they are big and bit someone they are a Pit Bull! Every time I see an article in the paper or on TV about a "Pit Bull" I ask "So what breed was it really?" In my city alone, in a 3 month period 7 "Pit Bulls" were shot and killed by officers. Most of the owners have stepped forward and guess what? They weren't Pit Bulls. 2 of them were Boxer/mastiffs, one was an Aussie mix, 1 was a full brindle boxer, and one was a plan old mutt. 2 were Pit bulls, that some jerk dumped them and they were killing livestock for food.

It's not Pit Bulls that are the issue, it's their damn owners and people who have no clue what a Pit Bull is. Remember THERE IS NO BREED CALLED A PIT BULL!!! The breed is American Pit Bull Terrier. Pit bulls are a GROUP of about 15 different breeds.

Also you ask why Pit Bulls aren't used by the Police? They are used by the police. The newest Police dog for the Chicago Police department is a Pit Bull by the name of Elliot Ness : http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/local&id=6625698

Oh.. and Pit Bulls are used for Search and Rescue too. They were hand chosen to work on the Columbia Space Shuttle disaster to find the remains of the astronauts. http://www.forpitssake.org/sar.html

I think you need to read up on the breed for once and learn Fact from Fiction.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I was really surprised when we signed our current lease and it stated no "dangerous breeds". I wasn't raised with breed discrimination and thought it must be something peculiar to this agency -- how the world has changed.

With pets in general, I've had better luck with individuals rather than agencies.

I also like the CGC and therapy dog ideas that Inga suggested. I'm planning on doing both of those with Ruby and I think they open a lot of doors for any dog.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Thank you Darkmoon. I very much agree!

Was there ever a movie about hero pit bull?
And to answer this question. Absolutely yes. The original Petey from Little Rascals (AKA the dog who hung out with small children ALL day and was extremely famous in his time) was an American Pit Bull Terrier. Petey the APBT

And this site lists several more famous and loved APBTs. Famous APBTs

And to Nargle, I will be 100 percent honest and say it sometimes crosses my mind to change the breeds of my dogs for this reason. Like Darkmoon, I AM proud to own the breed I do...I just wish people could be less ignorant. It's sad and unfortunate. I do have Bridgette in my work (the vet) computer as a Border Collie Mix, but that's only because it's what her original adoption paperwork says....well she is black and white...and that's her only border collie likeness haha!

·
Registered
393 Posts
I would like to express what I feel many dog owners feel if not the majority but would not come out candid and say.

This is why idiots like the dog owner that attacked the mail man was able to make a bad breed act bad.
As a pit bull owner, I would like to say that the breed does have certain issues, such as being dog aggressive. But lots of breeds have issues. In every breed there are the good dogs and the bad dogs.
Also, did you watch the video of the guy who's pit bulls attacked the mail man? That guy could've made any dog attack someone. He was an example of a horrendous owner, who in turn created some horrendous dogs.
Also, you asked about movies with pit bulls. Homeward Bound has an American Bulldog (which is not the same as an American Pit Bull Terrier, but a lot of people, and probably you as well, cannot tell the difference). The dog from the Little Rascals was an APBT. Those are two off the top of my head.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
laurelin, wish you can be more specific what time frame the German Shepherd had the reputation such as the pit bull, "Once upon a time" lol sounds like a fairy tale to me. I remember Rin Tin Tin, and Bullet, Roy Rogers dog as a kid, and the "terminator" , the sheperd was always portrayed as the hero. Was there ever a movie about hero pit bull?

But thats not the point, pit bulls are bringing down alot of breeds that do not deserve the bad rap the PB are taging on to them.

And I apologize for changing the talking point of the thread, but since alot of the most prominent PB owners were here.....
I would like to know what other breeds the APBT is bringing down?

I will tell you that in the mid 80 dobie were considered to be the vicious bad a$$ dogs....I know this for sure because my aunt had a male doberman and she got a lot of flak from not only her coworkers but also her home owners association and her home owners insurance....dobies were seen as these giant viscous guard dogs.....watch almost any 80s drug cartel movie and you will see dobie guard dogs....watch any Disney movie the "bad dog" is almost always a dobie :rolleyes:

·
Registered
257 Posts
I met someone who worked in an apartment, that had a pitbull. He had to put the dog as a mutt, so the dog will be allowed to stay. Really sad.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
I would like to know what other breeds the APBT is bringing down?

I will tell you that in the mid 80 dobie were considered to be the vicious bad a$$ dogs....I know this for sure because my aunt had a male doberman and she got a lot of flak from not only her coworkers but also her home owners association and her home owners insurance....dobies were seen as these giant viscous guard dogs.....watch almost any 80s drug cartel movie and you will see dobie guard dogs....watch any Disney movie the "bad dog" is almost always a dobie :rolleyes:
Yep, my 'once upon a time' was the mid 80s to early 90s. Not that long ago. Ask any GSD, rottie, dobe owner, those breeds had bad reputations before all this pit bull hysteria.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Yep, my 'once upon a time' was the mid 80s to early 90s. Not that long ago. Ask any GSD, rottie, dobe owner, those breeds had bad reputations before all this pit bull hysteria.
True! It's not fair to any breed, but it happens. If Golden Retriever starting mauling people left and right because they suddenly became popular with crappy people they'd be banned just as quick as all the rest. They just aren't as aesthetically pleasing to the kind of people who give any breed a bad rap.

It's funny working at a vet office. If I didn't like EVERY breed that gave us the most problems (aggression wise) I'd have several breeds that I didn't like! These include Heelers, Labs, Huskies....it would be ridiculous of me to say I hated these breeds just because w have many that I've almost been bit by! That's just not how it works. Likewise in all these cases you look at the owner and can pretty much immediately understand why the dog is the way it is!

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
so im confused...

you came into a thread, about pit bulls, therefore all the pit owners would be posting and checking it...to hijack the thread and say that pits are at fault for other breeds having a bad rep?

:confused:

-------------------

Yay for finding a potential rental!!

21 - 40 of 61 Posts