Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Feelings of dog ownership

2K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  Erica914 
#1 ·
I've owned my first dog for about a month and 1/2 now. Before I had him I always loved dogs, but I never really understood why a lot of ppl treat their dogs as children. But now that I actually own a dog and spend many hours with him I can understand why a person would treat their dog like it was their child. I call my dog baby all the time and even hold him like one sometimes.

He drives me crazy and brings so much happiness at the same time. He's sweet and loving. How can you not love the lil guy?

Just by reading the ther topics on this site I can tell how much every one loves their dog(s). We want what's best for them. The best food, training, exercise, grooming, environment, socialization, etc.

I live in GA and it's finally cooling off. We could only really let him go outside and run around in the morning and night time. I have him playing on the balcony in the nice, cool whether and he's having a lot of fun! It makes me so happy to see him having fun and enjoying himself!

#2 ·
same here :)
i got my first dog about 2 month ago. my parents had a dog, when i was a teenager, but even though i'm an animal person (always had cats, hamsters, ... and love riding), i never really cared about the dog...i mean i cared, but i never thought about what he is eating or that he needs his walks or something.
my husband already had a dog and now i finally have my own. and well, i spend like all my free time on dog stuff now. researching, walking, training, finding stuff for her...
i just want her to have a good healthy life :) and as i said, i'm an animal person, but never really got attached to them a lot.
now i have little "black monster" <3 and i would not trade her for anything in the world :)

#4 ·
LOL@ LadyBug

Yes I talk about dog stuff all the time too!! When I watch the dog during the day I'll text my bf and tell him how many times he has pooped and peed thru out the day LOL. We talk about the stuff he did during the day.

We have a lot of discussions on how to praise him..how to punish him...it really seems like he's our actually baby LOL...I say all the time I birthed him myself! LOL.

#5 ·
There is nothing like the love of a dog, is there? Non dog people at work thought I was nuts to take a week of vacation and just spend it with my dog at home, but those are the best vacations to me.

#6 ·
Funny this topic came up. Just last night I was hugging and kissing Bella and telling her how much I loved her and she gave me a look that melted my heart - I swear that look said "I love you too, Mom" (or it may have been "got any treats on ya?")

I can't imagine any dog owner not feeling the same love for their dogs. It's just so sad they are here with us for such a short time. It's not fair. =(

#8 ·
Yeah its crazy how a bond forms very quickly b/t dogs and their owners. The best thing is when we come home and we go to let him out of his cage he's soooo excited to see us and goes and licks everyone's faces.

He's becoming so much better and not acting crazy 24/7. I know he's a puppy...a husky puppy at that..but he used to drive us nuts!..Tho he still has tons of energy there are times where he will lay down and just play with his toy quietly for an hr. It's like he knows we needa break from all the playing!

#9 ·
I know exactly what you guys mean. I feel like I talk about Cato ALL. THE. TIME. But I can't help it:) He's just so dang cute and lovable.....I love how he switches between laying by my feet and my BF's feet, it's like he splits his time equally lol And he cracks me up when I leave even for just a little bit, I come home and I know he is SO excited to see me, he licks my face and doesn't wanna leave my side, but his "husky" sure comes out!!! He will talk and talk for at least 20 mins just tellin me all about myself and how I was so mean to leave him. I swear I can hear him sayin "Oh yeah sure Mom, you say you love me, then you put me in my crate for an hour and a half just so you can go shopping, i thought you loved me!?!?!?" He is such a character:)

#10 ·
I just got a puppy 6 weeks ago for the first time in my life. I used to think those crazy dog people who loved their dogs like human babies were nuts. Main one being my sister. I have since apologized to her for every time I made fun of her and her devotion to her dog. I love my Lucy in a way I did not expect at all. I am just obsessed with this little girl. And why do I love her a much? It's a totally one sided relationship. I give and give and she takes. Just like a human baby. Lol. But she makes me giggle and brings me joy very day just watching her play and grow. And I do love the good morning kisses and the gentle way she paws up my chair when I am working to be closer to me. Gosh I am such a goner.

#13 ·
Yeah Blue loves laying under my legs...if you ask me he's getting too big to wiggle himself under there...but he makes me make room for him. He will just lay under there and play with his toys. I love [almost] everything the lil guy does.

When we let him play on the balcony and he's ready to come in he'll jump up on the window so we can see him and then jumps down and waits by the door until one of us opens it for him.

#14 ·
Haha, I know what you mean!

My mom is constantly calling Gypsy a toddler. She needs lots of attention and can't do anything herself. And indeed, when I get her bag o' stuff ready to take her to the park (leash, long lead, ball, poo bags, water dish, etc.), I feel like I'm a mother readying a diaper bag.

#18 ·
i live in florida, so i have one of those travel water bottles too. but since water is always a must have, not just for the dogs, but also for us, we always have water with us anyways. so if i forget the travel dog one, i always have a normal water bowl in the car as well.

#20 · (Edited)
Aw, I love this thread. Mark me down as someone else who is absolutely in love with her dog and doesn't care who knows it, LOL. I often wonder if my FB friends think that I think Molly is a human child because I constantly post pictures of her & report in about what she's doing. Hubs and I also talk about her constantly. What she's done, what she's doing, how many people said she was cute during walks her, and, of course. what the poop was like, LOL. I think it's awesome and I wouldn't want it any other way. This little girl means the world to me.

#21 ·
It is so awesome to find so many dedicated dog owner:) My dogs have all been my babies. They are dedicated and loyal. I sing to them, sleep with them, try to do what is best for them and they show me unconditional love. Truthfully I think I like most dogs more then I like most people. They see you for who you are and don't get stuck on the outside. They will be by your side through thick and thin.

#22 ·
When I was really little, I always wanted a dog (I used to "train" the relatives farm dogs), but my mom doesn't like dogs ("they're too messy and too much work") so we never got one, and eventually got a cat instead... and after that I was a "cat person". When I met my FI, he is very strongly a dog person (watching him try to pick up my cat was HILARIOUS, because he had no clue how, poor kitty). He kind of drew me back into dogs, and now I can't imagine not having a dog. My mom laughed when I told her we got a dog, and wasn't surprised at all. Now he's pretty much our entire life. We've only had him for a short while (2 months) and now most of my free time is consumed by researching about dog food, dog breeds, training, etc. which I never did with cats. Anytime we go out to run errands and my FI asks "is there anything else you need to do?" my response is always "Can we go to the petstore?" and then I spend hours just looking at toys, treats, bowls, etc. even though we don't buy any of it!

Just like JulieK, we ALSO talk about the dog constantly. Poop is a big one, but also how many other dogs, and which ones, we came across on our walk, and how he did (he's leash reactive), how many people commented on his fluffiness level. I'm sure every dog owner thinks this (just like all parents do!), but we have the best dog in the world. <3

#23 ·
I don't know how I managed without a dog for so long!! I had a rough day today, and Cato made it so much better just by being himself:) He would run around like a crazy dog outside and make me laugh, lay by my feet and keep me company, and give me kisses when he woke up. What more can I ask for? I love him so much, I only hope I can give him as much happiness as he gives me just by being himself:)

#24 ·
I've had a dog(s) my entire life. Growing up and living in the boonies, our place was a dumping place for the counties "unwanted" dogs and we always had a pack running around the farm. My folks were diligent about getting everyone spayed/neutered because they didn't want a bunch of puppies running around, but it seems we always had a litter or sometimes several dumped off at our place. I don't remember ever having any issues with any of the dogs. Once in a while we would have a dog that would kill cats, but the cats learned to stay out of reach. We fed all the dogs out of one bowl, and I don't remember there ever being one fight over food and everyone was always well fed.
Drove my mom crazy cause I didn't do the normal things girls are supposed to do like play with barbies and dolls... I was always out with the dogs. :)

Several years ago, one of my many heart dogs got hit by a porcupine and didn't make it. I really had a hard time dealing with that, so I started a "Dog Journal" and have started recording all of my memories of all the dogs I've had: Zeke, Nellie, Snow White, Miles, Zeb, Dog, Lacy, Red, Fugly, Chance, Sabatha, Kelly, DooDaw, Jake, Tasha, Colleen, Bard, Pueblo, Shilo, Rocket, Joe (and numerous others that I can't remember all of their names) and now Dug and Tee. It's been a lot of fun remembering all the good times, funny antics, and all the trouble we got into when I was growing up.

Today, I have two dogs, a border collie and a golden retriever and usually a foster dog or two. My life really does revolve around my dogs and my son. My family totally doesn't "get it" and they are all convinced that I'm going to end up being the "crazy-hoarder-old-dog-lady" later in life. Maybe I will be... but I would really rather be around my dogs than most people.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.