Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I have a 11week old pomeranian called hercules
I love him, he is a lovely puppy but I am feeling like I can not keep him as I am finding it very hard having a dog.
Please dont give me the 'a dog is for life' talk as I've had it before and understand.

He is ill at the moment, he has a ulcer in one eye and conjunctivitis in the other. He also has diarrhoea. I've taken him to the vet and he's given me eye drops but put the diarrhoea down to I was feeding him caesar, I've got him dry food but he's still got diarrhoea and as he isn't house trained this is a messy situation.

I've trained him to sit but he doesn't do it every time i say. I've tried training him with cat litter but he just eats it, I've tried paper but he always misses.

I feel like a really crap mum! I'm going through a lot of personal matters as well so it feels like its all too much to handle right now!

Can anyone offer me some advice and support?

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
He is just a baby, can't expect him to be house trained, especially with diarrhea. Also the sit, and other obedience won't be reliable until he is older. You will see improvements if you give him patience. Getting him back to health will help as well.
Puppies can he trying, messy, a pain in the butt at times. The joy, love, companionship, and entertainment they give is priceless. Try taking time with the pup, just bonding, and you may be surprised at the comfort he provides. My dogs are one of the biggest joys in my life.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Here, have a hug ((())).

Puppies are hard work! You're not a bad owner, you just got hit with a lot of bad puppy stuff all at once. It's okay to feel overwhelmed. 11 week old puppies aren't housetrained, not by anyone. It takes months before a puppy is at all reliable with that. Just keep him in a small area and lay layers of puppy pads over the entire floor. Baby wipes are your friends. And you can stick him right in the tub or sink and rinse him off as needed.

Training dogs to sit takes time. It took me a couple of months of working every day to get a 3 year old to reliably sit inside, then I had to start all over again outside. That is totally normal. Puppies have the attention spans of a pasta salad, don't feel bad!

Just breathe, this will pass. It will get better.

Now, the diarrhea, I'm a bit concerned about. What are you feeding now? How long has he been eating it? Did the vet do any tests at all? Puppies can have parasites and all kinds of nasty diseases because they're not immunized yet. I'd get a second opinion on that right away.

either way, you'll be all right. Hercules won't be a puppy forever, I promise.

·
Registered
321 Posts
As others have said, puppies are hard work indeed. As far as I understand, Pomeranians can be a bit stubborn and are not the easiest dog to potty train. You'll just need patience and lots of treats.

I'm not a dog expert by any means, but my mum used to feed caesar to our family's Maltese (and I seem to recall the stool was kinda runny). My mum tried to vary the meals, but later we learned that dogs should only eat one type of food or else they get sick. Did you go through a slow transition between caesar and the dry food? Maybe the sudden change is what keeps him with diarrhea. If it's been some time since you changed its food, you should have that checked by a vet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here, have a hug ((())).

Puppies are hard work! You're not a bad owner, you just got hit with a lot of bad puppy stuff all at once. It's okay to feel overwhelmed. 11 week old puppies aren't housetrained, not by anyone. It takes months before a puppy is at all reliable with that. Just keep him in a small area and lay layers of puppy pads over the entire floor. Baby wipes are your friends. And you can stick him right in the tub or sink and rinse him off as needed.

Training dogs to sit takes time. It took me a couple of months of working every day to get a 3 year old to reliably sit inside, then I had to start all over again outside. That is totally normal. Puppies have the attention spans of a pasta salad, don't feel bad!

Just breathe, this will pass. It will get better.

Now, the diarrhea, I'm a bit concerned about. What are you feeding now? How long has he been eating it? Did the vet do any tests at all? Puppies can have parasites and all kinds of nasty diseases because they're not immunized yet. I'd get a second opinion on that right away.

either way, you'll be all right. Hercules won't be a puppy forever, I promise.
I am feeding him bakers dry food. He has had all his injections already.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
He can't have had ALL his shots yet--the last one needs to be given after 16 weeks. But even so, vaccines aren't 100% effective so he could have caught something. I wouldn't be happy with a vet who just dismissed continual diarrhea as being caused by canned food without doing any testing. . .

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
There are lots of threads, from time to time, about overwhelmed puppy owners, so you are not alone! :)
Keep in mind, that lots of overwhelmed puppy owners don't have the health concerns your puppy does, so you are totally normal to feel this way!

I remember when my dogs were that age, they had such short attention spans for training! Try to keep it short, just 3-5 minutes, but you can do it several times a day. And, really, it will take awhile before they are consistent.

As for potty training, that, too, can take awhile. In fact, puppies don't have full control of their bladders until about 6 months of age, give or take. The thing is, if you manage them, like supervising them, and getting them out BEFORE they have accidents, then it will be lots easier. So, make a schedule for taking him out, watch him super closely when you're home, and crate or pen him when you can't keep your eyes on him. It will get easier with time, and when his diarrhea clears up.

·
Registered
146 Posts
You definitely have to have patience with puppies. He's only 11w weeks old! Some puppies don't even go to their new homes until 12 weeks. He's just a little baby so it's going to take him time to learn to do everything, and pomeranians can be stubborn. You have to make doing what you want worth it to them. Treats are a great way to motivate him. When he does what you want him to do (like uses his paper or goes in the yard) praise him and give him a treat immediately. Eventually he'll learn, "When I potty in the yard, mom gives me treats!" and then he'll always want to potty in the yard. Poms are very smart and totally trainable (my pom was the best of all our dogs at going outside and using his puppy pad inside) you just have to have patience and be consistent.

I second everyone's advice to get a second opinion about the diarrhea. It could be the food, or it could be a parasite or some other health problem. I disagree that all dogs need to eat only one type of food. It depends on the dog. Some are just fine with a rotating diet, while others are sensitive to any changes in their food, but regardless it is important to change a puppy's food slowly. If he was eating a different food before you brought him home and suddenly started eating the Cesar, and then was suddenly switched to the kibble, that can cause diarrhea. When introducing a new food to his diet you want to gradually mix small portions of new food into the old food, increasing the amount of new food each time, until he's fine eating the new.

He could also be sensitive to the ingredients in the foods you're feeding. Cesar uses some mystery flavorings and artificial colors, and while I'm not as familiar with UK food labeling standards, it seems like Bakers is very vague about what is in their food and I'm concerned about what things like "sugars" and "oils" might be, so it may be worth trying a different food with some better ingredients. You can check out sites like DogFoodAdvisor and DogAware to read up on how to select a good food and what ingredients you should watch out for. Ideally you want to find a food with specifically named meats (such as chicken/chicken meal) and no vague or artificial ingredients. If you're in the UK, I'm not entirely sure what brands are available there, but some brands you may want to check out if you have them are Wellness, Nature's Variety, Merrick, Acana, Orijen, and Blue Buffalo.

Lastly, while hopefully it won't come to this, if after all of this you still are genuinely feeling overwhelmed and honestly believe you cannot handle this puppy, it's okay. It's a responsible thing to recognize that and be willing to do what is best for the puppy, even if it means rehoming him. The only thing I ask is if you do eventually end up feeling that step is necessary, make sure you can find him a good home or take him somewhere than can assist with this, rather than taking him to a pound or shelter where he could be put down. No-kill rescues can be very helpful in these situations. Just don't make any rash decisions. You're obviously very concerned about his well-being and working to try and solve these issues, and that's commendable.

But take a deep breath, because right now you're just going through the rough patch of puppyhood! You may find you can totally handle this afterall and that it's well worth all the trouble. :)

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
As others have said he is just a puppy, toilet training him might and can be hard work, just don't tell him off when he does go indoors and when he goes outside give him lots of fuss and maybe a treat too, and please get him off Bakers, it isn't even that cheap compared to some foods, is full of rubbish, makes dogs hyper, Holly eats Burns which cost bewteen £36-£42 for a 15kg bag, Holly actually has the small bags 2kg for £7.99, this is one of the best foods you can get in the UK which i am guessing is where you live, oh and your dog probably likes Bakers because it is like giving a child packets of sweets for breakfast and tea, also the food might not agree with him.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Our puppy is 18 wks old now and we've had him since 8 wks old. He is the first dog my husband and I have ever owned, though I spent about five years working for a vet and doing dog sitting for other people. I knew having a puppy would be a lot of work, I knew it would need non-stop attention and supervision, and yet knowing it and living it are two totally different things. There have been more than one night where I have been in tears with frustration at the puppy and have had to just leave him with my husband and go into another room for a while. It does get better.

Dogs don't generalize. He may know how to sit when it's quiet in the living room, but that doesn't mean he knows how to sit in the kitchen, or in the dining room, or in the yard.

For the diarrhea, have another stool sample checked, and maybe ask about treating for parasites even if its coming up negative. You could also ask for giardia and coccidia tests. They aren't easy to find on in-house slides and often have to be sent to the lab for testing. If they've ruled all that out, you can do a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice and see if that helps firm up the stool. If it gets better, then start slowly adding back a high quality food. As for the mess - the dog should be contained in a small area or on leash with you because he's so young, so while cleaning up diarrhea is still gross, it should be relatively well contained. Otherwise, skip the inside potty idea and just keep taking him out. At 11 wks, I was still taking the puppy out every 30 minutes to avoid accidents. Inconvenient? A bit. But less so than cleaning up messes in the house. We went out to the same spot every time, gave his potty command ('hurry up') and praised like crazy when he went.

How long have you had him for and where did you get him from? If he's from a breeder I'd speak to the breeder about the health issues he's been having.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Also, forgot to mention, if you know someone who might come in for an hour or two and puppy sit, it does really help to get away for a bit and leave the puppy with someone you trust!

I remember once going to the grocery store (usually not my favorite chore), and actually enjoying it, because I didn't have to be at home with the puppy, he was home with my fiance!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts