Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
I have a playlist specifically for singing at the top of my lungs to. It always seems to clear the cobwebs a little. Also cooking or cleaning; any sort of relatively mindless and mildly to moderately physical busy work, really. Weeding the garden, mowing the lawn.

·
Registered
17,906 Posts
Music and exercise are my go to. Mostly exercise, which is odd, because I'm a basically lazy person but exercise helps. Probably the endorphins. Also really 'angry' music seems to help my mood.

Alternatively, sometimes I just need to sink into it enough to cry and then go back to angry music and moving.

I have a playlist specifically for singing at the top of my lungs to. It always seems to clear the cobwebs a little. Also cooking or cleaning; any sort of relatively mindless and mildly to moderately physical busy work, really. Weeding the garden, mowing the lawn.
I almost said cleaning but was afraid people would think I was nuts.

For me imposing order over the things I can (my physical surroundings) seems to make me feel better.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
I think cleaning for me is very... "Problem: Solution". Like, I might be overwhelmed at work or other things may be very complicated and there's so much yuck in the world BUT I CAN GET THE DUST OFF THE CEILING FAN DANGIT.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. So, you're saying sitting around my messy house/office listening to Cowboy Junkies and Pink Floyd isn't helping. :p

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
I usually lay in bed and marathon watch tv episodes on netflix and eat macaroni and cheese while cuddling with some dogs.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I think cleaning for me is very... "Problem: Solution". Like, I might be overwhelmed at work or other things may be very complicated and there's so much yuck in the world BUT I CAN GET THE DUST OFF THE CEILING FAN DANGIT.
Hence why you could perform surgery on any surface in my house at any time, lol.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Yeah, if I'm being proactive to FIX my mood: I'll take a shower first (refreshes you, also bonus points for cold showers that just shock your entire system to the point you're either swearing or laughing hysterically... or both). I'll go do something active with Sans (biking, jogging, hiking). I'll clean because it takes like a 45mins to clean the entire main floor and it looks so nice after and smells so nice.

If I want to wallow in my sadness thinking it's just a time I need to be sad. I order the most obese delivery food I can think of. I get into my pjs the minute I walk into the house. I put on either a really depressing movie and have a weep-a-thon, or binge watch a series until I'm too morbidly obese and too tired to be awake. Conversely to sassafras, I have playlist on my iPod titled "Cry a Little" and am a firm believer that sometimes you just need to have a cry to get out of a funk.
I then go to bed vowing I'll do better tomorrow (whether it happens or not).

·
Registered
768 Posts
I've done all of the above when blue. All in one day. lol
The one guaranteed way to make myself
feel better is to go out of my way to do something nice for a friend.
The last time, I did a bunch of baking for a friend who works full
time, snuck into her house and put it all in her freezer.

·
Registered
7,242 Posts
Depends... If it is a passing sadness you understand within yourself and you just want to move past, then distractions like active activities, tv shows, cooking, etc. may be helpful.
If it is a deeper sadness then it may be worth taking time to remove distractions, look inward, accept sadness as part of yourself and let it be for the moment. Cry, write down how you feel (and keep or burn it), and/or call a friend who is good at listening. It is important to let yourself be sad sometimes.

·
Registered
11,257 Posts
Depends on your normal style of being I think.

Activity, cooking, cleaning etc are all stuff to get a person moving and their mind moderately engaged.

I like trying something new or visiting somewhere new. Map a park within a half hour drive and visit it. Try a sport you have never done, for example take a trail ride on a horse. Go to a town event or festival.

Another thing that can switch a mindset is helping someone else. Volunteer at the boys and girls club after school, sort belongings for a homeless shelter, pick up trash on the roadside with a community group etc. Its not about feeling better than someone else or feeling like you are in a better situation, but more about thinking that you have the ability to make something better and your time matters.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
I clean. Everything in sight. Then I try to talk a relaxing walk with the dogs. If that doesn't work, I lay down in my beautifully clean house with my tired dogs and eat some sort of horrible fattening food. Then I watch Outlander and have a good cry because I'll never be married to Sam Heughan.

That's for the "I will be out of this soon" kind of sadness, like just a few bad days at work in a row, or an argument with a friend or something.

For the type of sadness I experienced when I lost my dog Loki a month ago... Well, I can't tell you how to get through that. That's the kind of sadness everyone has to navigate on their own.

I hope yours is the former and not the latter, and cleaning, carbs and a hot man/woman to watch on tv will get you through it :)

·
Registered
777 Posts
It depends on what kinds of emotion and how strong they are. I obsessively play video games and do art projects if I'm very angry, especially if I'm also sad. I either play a video game (I know) or clean and listen to music if something is mildly bothering me and I need to stop thinking for a while. If I'm just really sad, I usually curl up with a warm blanket and a snake/small dog. I usually just sit, relax (with reading material if I need distraction), and eat a bit of comfort food if I feel a little sad or stressed for a quick pick-me-up.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks, folks. Tyson and I had a good class last night (it was just the two of us and the instructor), so that was a nice, but too short, distraction.

If it is a deeper sadness then it may be worth taking time to remove distractions, look inward, accept sadness as part of yourself and let it be for the moment. Cry, write down how you feel (and keep or burn it), and/or call a friend who is good at listening. It is important to let yourself be sad sometimes.
That might be what I need. I've had a headache for the past four days from trying to hold back tears...just have to wait until I get home. Or I could burst into tears at my committee meeting this morning - that would be more interesting than anything on the agenda. :) Having someone to talk to would be nice, too.

hope you feel lifted soon......
I appreciate the good thoughts.

The upside of this is that no appetite means I might actually lose some weight.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Cheese and wine for me. LOL! I usually get out in the woods if I'm bummed out. A hike, a climb, whatever. Dinner and conversation with my best friends if possible, that's always helpful too. Snuggles with my animals. Then sometimes the best thing to do is to just let it all out and give in to the emotions you're feeling when you get in a safe place to do so.

RE: cleaning... I do this when I'm pissed. DH says if we never argued, the house would never get cleaned. LOL!!! Angry cleaning FTW!

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
I have depression and it comes back here and there... the best "cure" I've found is regular exercise (like actual vigorous exercise, not just walking with the dog, etc.). I started going to hot yoga 3-4 times a week and it has been really helpful in keeping my mood up! If that's your kind of thing, I would give it a go :)

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I'm on the cleaning / exercise /walking bandwagon, too!

I went through a wicked rough time for about a month after I quit smoking. But my apartment was immaculate! And I dug out the weights and exercise rubber-band things from the attic. Both activities usually helped my crappy moods a lot...I mean, who can feel bad about accomplishing something good that you would normally put off? =)

Looking up at the sky and letting my imagination go helps with bouts of depression...especially if it's nice and quiet and there are pretty, puffy clouds around....watching the trees move with the breeze etc... on a clear night I love star gazing....hoping when I die, I'll be able to travel the universe...aaahhh...... (that sounds more depressing than it actually is) :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts