Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am concerned about how depressed I feel with my new puppy. I love him and did from the first time I met him and now that he's with me I still have that love and he's wonderful and so clingy to me and I think that scares me. I'm 22, live alone, and I am active duty military and currently live in Germany. I feel awful for feeling like this is the worst decision I've ever made. Yesterday was the first day I left him in a crate so I could go to work and he freaked out, I left work 3 times yesterday to go check on him and the second time he had spilled water all over himself and was shaking and crying for 5 minutes after I took him out of the cage which in turn made me have a meltdown. I left and kept him in the room instead of his cage to see if he liked that and when I got home it didn't sound like he was crying but he barked at me when I went inside the room. I'm feeling so overwhelmed and guilty because I can't always be home with him and am considering finding him a new home for someone that can give him a better life but I am already attached to him and I know that would break my heart. I just want to know if feeling like this is normal, I feel completely depressed I can't eat and I feel guilty all the time and like I made a huge mistake.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
How long have you had the puppy? It's normal to feel sad or overwhelmed while adjusting your life to a new puppy. It's okay that you work, plenty of people work and raise puppies. It's great that you can go home during work to let him out. It's normal for puppies to fuss when left alone. I would practice on your days off leaving him for short periods of time so he can get used to it. I would also recommend leaving him some chew toys and frozen kong stuffed with peanut butter or something to keep him busy. You can also leave music on.

·
Super Moderator
11,446 Posts
Post-puppy depression is pretty common. I haven't experienced it, exactly, but I know that "OMG, what have I done??" feeling.

It usually gets better.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How long have you had the puppy? It's normal to feel sad or overwhelmed while adjusting your life to a new puppy. It's okay that you work, plenty of people work and raise puppies. It's great that you can go home during work to let him out. It's normal for puppies to fuss when left alone. I would practice on your days off leaving him for short periods of time so he can get used to it. I would also recommend leaving him some chew toys and frozen kong stuffed with peanut butter or something to keep him busy. You can also leave music on.
I've had him since Saturday and I'm just feeling bad bc I don't have that omg I love you feeling when I walk through the door because I'm so stressed out about making sure he gets potty trained and gets enough play time since I was gone most of the day. I hate how guilty I feel it's making me physically ill and I just don't know where to go from here and if I'm even the best home for him.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
How old is this puppy? First, cut yourself a little slack here... SO MANY people that have dogs and new puppies have to work for a living. These people may crate their dogs during the day. It's not cruel, it's responsible. The stress you feel about being able to give your pup a good home is actually a good sign that you care, and that you are focused on your dog's needs above your own. This is commendable, and shows that you have what it takes to be a responsible pet parent. The fact is that most puppies sleep more than anything else anyway... so when you're at work, you can bet that for MOST of that time, your puppy is just sleeping in his crate. I second leaving good, safe chew toys for him. Maybe not water IN the crate though - I've never had that work out for me, personally. When you get home, focus on potty training, fun play, and some basic obedience/mental stimulation and go from there. Go easy on yourself and recognize you are not alone in this and that you CAN make this work if you've a mind to.

Now. All that said... only YOU can determine if you are the best match for this particular puppy and if you give it a fair shake and then realize that maybe it's not aligning with your lifestyle, there is no shame in admitting that. You just need to take a step back and look at the big picture here.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Not everyone has an instant unshakable "OMG I love this puppy!!" bond.
This bond feels especially weak every time you come home from work and want to lay on the couch, but have to engage your puppy in hours of play/training. Or even better, every night when you have to get up twice, or at 5AM, to meet all their needs before you go to work.
You're doing a great job, try not to be so hard on yourself.

I'd say the majority of knowledgeable owners are pretty stressed during puppyhood trying to do everything right. The thing is you will make mistakes and puppies are forgiving creatures. You'll learn every day and so will he. I mean, you have all of us very intelligent individuals here to give you a virtual-hand or advice when you need it, so don't feel alone!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts