Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so here is the story...

this morning when i let the boys out for their last romp (in the snow, ice and 25mph winds) they made a new friend...a husky that had a harness on and a leash attached and the leash was tied to a piece of hose that looks like it broke.

I got my boys back inside, with lots of complaining from them, and then went out to see if there was a tag or number to call. no tags, no number. i brought food out for him and called the local police, animal control was not open and i HAD to leave for work. they said that they would let animal control know and that they would get someone over as soon as they could but due to the weather,:smow: streets are ice covered, they didn't have anyone available right away. i asked if i put him in my yard would animal control come pick him up while i was at work and the answer was no.

i went back in, got more food, some water and put is out for him. brushed off the truck, let it warm up and headed to work while he laid down by where i put the food, eating and looking up while i pulled away. he didn't move just sat there watching like he was saying...see ya when you get back...

can someone tell me that i am not the most horrible person in the world? it is a husky and he looked happy as can be to be out in the snow playing. i gave him food and he had a great place to hang out and hid from the weather if he wanted.

this just started my day out bad.
:Cry:

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Doing something is better than doing nothing IMO ... you had to go to work ...from what everyone says Husky's are snowbirds ... at least there is food and water available . I would have done the same thing you did. What can you do? It belongs to someone else and you could probably be in trouble for stealing if you tied him up or was harboring him and preventing him from going back to his owners .... it is a tough decision ...UUUggggghhh!!!!! :(

·
Banned
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks abbylynn, that helps...

Update, hubby said that when he left for docs the husky was stil in the "side-front" yard hanging out (not fenced in) and playing so i guess all is well right now. still feel like a heel about it all.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Thanks abbylynn, that helps...

Update, hubby said that when he left for docs the husky was stil in the "side-front" yard hanging out (not fenced in) and playing so i guess all is well right now. still feel like a heel about it all.
If he is still there when you get home .... I personally would be tempted to let him inside if you could? ( hopefully housebroken! ) Poor guy .... I hope someone is looking for him ... and he hasn't been added to the statistics of abandoned dogs. :(

·
Banned
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
he is one of the friendliest dogs i have ever met. he came right to me when i called him and was all about waiting for me to brush off the truck and stuff. it's been 5 hours and he is still hanging around so i guess that is good in the fact that he hasn't become a statistic yet, and that he is perfectly happy paying there and is staying warm. hubby is going to put more food out when he gets home and see if we can't help him out some more.

·
Registered
482 Posts
That's a really tough one, since you had to get to work. You did what you could...I agree that, if he's still there when you get home, you could bring him in. If you are home with the dog while it's in your house and actively looking for the owner, I don't think anyone would accuse you of stealing him. I've kept both dogs and cats in my house while locating owners, never got in trouble, but I could be home with them at the time...it would be a hairier situation to secure the dog and then leave for work, because of the owner was found and came looking, they couldn't retrieve their dog.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
A husky will be fine outside all day. That's what they're bred for. You're truly doing a lot for that dog and being very kind. Don't beat yourself up.

·
Banned
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone...it is just sooo brutal outside today. i know he is meant for this weather but i still feel like a dolt. will let you all know what happens, if anything happens.

·
Registered
11,257 Posts
If you can't take him to a vet or someplace to get scanned for a microchip tonight and can't bring him inside, I'd suggest putting up a tarp or something to block the wind. The temperature itself should be fine. Chester is a short haired dog and once spent a night outside in 15 degree weather and a foot of snow. He had got lost on a hiking trip in the blowing wind and snow. He curled up out of the wind by a horse barn and he was none the worse for the wear in the morning. A husky can easily handle it if there is a sheltered area.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Huskies can survive outside day and night for days on end in temperatures up to 30 below zero. He's probably the happiest he's been being able to play in the snow. They thrive in it. Their coat is waterproof (hopefully he's not a wooly as moisture can then get in there and freeze his fur) and they have a double coat. When he gets tired to stay warm he'll curl up in his little husky ball and bury his nose into the fox-brush tail he has to stay warm. :) I agree with a tarp if you absolutely cannot bring him in just so he has something that will block the wind.

If he hangs around at your earliest convenience then take him to get scanned for a chip. I'd also look into Siberian Husky rescues around your area and call them to get him if he's not chipped.

Thank you for doing what you did for this guy :).

·
Banned
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
he hung out at the house till hubby got home...no AC not cops...BUT...very happy owners came by and saw him.... hubby saw them and gave them a little talking to about tieing dogs out and now staying out with them....

my thought...if they gotta be out you gotta be out!!!

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Thank goodness! .... Another story ends well. I hope they took their lecture to heart.

Thanks for helping the poor dog out! You are a kind soul! :)

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
he hung out at the house till hubby got home...no AC not cops...BUT...very happy owners came by and saw him.... hubby saw them and gave them a little talking to about tieing dogs out and now staying out with them....

my thought...if they gotta be out you gotta be out!!!
No way.. Hope absolutely loves freezing weather and demands to be outside.. I have a good fence so out she goes all she wants.. I'll go play with her but I'm not going to hag out there for hours freezing my tush off.. ;) She comes up and gives the back door one paw when she wants back in..

I'd have put the dog in my yard until his owner came by or whatever, just to keep him off the roads and getting run over.

·
Banned
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
TxRider, that is a totally different story. i guess i should have qualified that comment. I think if you are going to have a dog you either get a fence (or other containment for outside) or you are out there. i guess i feel that if you are going to just tie a dog out, especially to a garden hose in freezing weather, perhaps you should watch the dog. i am outside 95% of the times my boys are out. just keeping an eye as they are climbers and diggers, not to mention people have tried to snatch them out of our back yard when we were talking to the neighbors in the front yard.

·
Registered
30 Posts
You did what you could this morning. Glad the folks came by and found him! Good for hubby for adding a lecture :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts