Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nope, this post is not about the Little Shop of Horrors; however, it has everything to do with insatiable appetites!

I'd love to know what any of you who have had very small puppies have fed them Today, the puppies got their first taste EVER of solid food. I boiled up two chicken livers and mashed them with milk to make a paste. As you can see, the pups went nuts for it. They have been showing interest in Holly's food for a few days now, so I figured it was time to give them something--and obviously it was! I'm not sure about how long I should give them this mixture, though--would three days (the length of time it will take me to make it back to the grocery store) be too long? I only gave them the livers because I forgot to get the baby food.

Amy was the first to the plate, but Nibbler was only milliseconds behind her.

Amy looks good in liver paste.

Leela "gets it" now.

Typical terrier pose--at just four weeks!

Their tummies did fill up rather quickly and Holly (their dam) got a bit of a treat, but I was impressed with how well they took to real food. If I am right, they will be weaned by the end of next week, even if they occasionally try to assault their mother for food. It's good timing, I think, since she seems ready for her freedom.

Holly also got an amazing treat today in not one, but TWO quail eggs. I tried to get pictures of her eating the eggs, but I don't think that there is a shutter speed in the known universe that is quite that fast. For any of you that are interested, quail eggs are slightly more yolky than chicken eggs and absolutely have a slightly stronger taste when hard boiled. I'm getting about 2 to 3 eggs a day right now--I expect that to double by the end of next week. The dogs should really like that, since the quail eggs were mostly for them. LOL

Oh, and I was thinking of hard boiling and mashing a few quail eggs for one feeding, but would that be the same as feeding liver (as in the cholesterol)?

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
There is nothing like puppies in a big bowl of slop. :D :D

No idea about the quail eggs, though. I know eggs are high in cholesterol but I doubt you needed me to tell you that. Could you mix the liver and the egg together, perhaps, or would that be too hard on them?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Use goat's milk with your cereal. That is what I started my chins on. Then we moved up to the Eukanuba canned puppy food. And now at 12 weeks we are on AvoDerm and by Nature. They still like a bit of canned venison mixed in but now really do well on dry. But the goat's milk will help to keep teeth white and easy to digest. Just remember to dilute it. I really like how your babies are coming along. I see championships in the future. :D

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Your puppies are ADORABLE! It' so cute to see them smushing around in their food! LOL

I don't know about the food, but I think livers are pretty rich. They might get diarrhea if that's all they're eating. I would think quail eggs would be great for them, but again, too much of a good thing...

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
I have no clue about the food, but those puppies are so freaking cute. If you can convince one to stay that cute forever, I'll take 'em. I love puppies. Not always a fan of the adult dogs they turn into and definitely not a fan of the headaches that come with them, but I love puppies. Other people's puppies anyway.

·
Banned
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I have no clue about the food, but those puppies are so freaking cute. If you can convince one to stay that cute forever, I'll take 'em. I love puppies. Not always a fan of the adult dogs they turn into and definitely not a fan of the headaches that come with them, but I love puppies. Other people's puppies anyway.
TFT puppies get hit with the double-barreled cuteness ray as puppies, so I actually have to work to discourage people from buying them for that reason. By and large, they seem very puppy-like as adults to people who are used to large dogs, staying playful for years and years (Beau is 9 and still enjoys chasing Ball and wrestling with puppies).

Here is a picture of the puppies' sire as a pup:

And here he is as an adult acting as a model for someone who designs pet jewelry:

Here is a picture of Holly with her first litter, as my Christmas card insert (it wasn't a Christmas litter--I took the pictures in October):

And here is a picture to give you perspective of how big they really are. They carry themselves "big" and they make me forget how small they really are, but the largest of my TFTs is only 10 inches at the shoulder:

TFTs are not easy dogs. People see their cuteness and their size and think of them as "toys" when they should be thought of as "terriers." I love my breed and can't imagine being without it, but they sure aren't for everyone.

Edited to add

Sorry--I forgot to thank people for their input on quail eggs. I have to walk a couple of miles to get my groceries, so I don't always have grains or rice in the house (and sadly have been weeks without red beans and rice, but that's another story). I might scramble a few eggs and some milk and soak some bread in it, just to cut down on the fat and cholesterol a bit. That should hold them over until I can walk on Tuesday.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Awww, they're so cute. I once met a 9-week-old TFT puppy (well, they called her an "American Toy Terrier", but my dog book says it's just an alternate name?) who was sooooo tiny. The little boy was holding her cupped in his hands....looked like she was about the size of a large hamster. Is that how big they're supposed to be at that age?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Ground turkey is always appreciated by the little ones.:) They are adooorable!

·
Registered
640 Posts
Oh my gosh, the cuteness! So adorable!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts