Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feed my dog only once a day, is this bad? I feed her every day around 4-5 PM and sometimes I give her treats around midnight.

The reason why I do this is because she's very, very picky. Usually in the morning we eat things she doesn't (jam, toast, fried eggs, sandwiches) etc, so I wait until lunch because that's when my mother prepares food which includes meat.

What about giving her kibble in the morning and then canned food in the evening? Would that be better? I'm so out of ideas, I really don't know what to feed my dog. She only eats chicken.

I know she's not being fed properly and it's all my fault. :(

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I have no problem with dogs fed once a day. Our adult dogs eat once a day usually around 10pm. That's their routine and what they're used to. It works for us.

It doesnt sound like the problem is how many times a day you feed your dog.
Your dog is picky? Does that mean she won't eat all her food? Are you bribing her to eat with the chicken?

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Is she only eating chicken or are you bribing her to eat by feeding chicken and something else also?

·
Registered
583 Posts
You did not say what kind of dog food you are feeding or how much. I have a dog that is not a morning eater , however he will eat at about 10 o'clock am. I would try to find quality dry kibble and offer a meal in morning and afternoon. I have never fed once a day bc I was always concerned about the potential for bloat , also a dog can have stomach upset going 24 hrs between meals.

Best , oldhound

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Same here, if she likes chicken, there are a few good kibbles that have chicken in them, Freshpet is one of them, or you could go raw if kibble isn't for you, www.dogfoodadvisor.com is a good site to do research, also www.dogfoodanalysis.com is another good site.

I feed mine at nite around 8:30-9:30pm (if they come in really hot after playing... I don't feed dogs when they are hot, I think there is mote harm in that then feeding once a day.). I dont see the prob with it, unless you have a puppy, or a sog/breed that is prone to bloat.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
As others have mentioned, the bigger the meal, the greater the risk for bloat. What breed is the dog we're talking about? And how fast does she eat? These are other risk factors.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Personally, all my dogs get fed once a day unless they are puppies. Then it's at least twice, if not more depending on their age. So far, I've had no problems with it. However, some of the other posters brought up some good points, such as bloat.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Does she really eat only chicken? Cooked or raw? Organs or just breast meat like humans prefer? With raw bones or without (never ever give cooked bones)? Just chicken isn't a balanced diet and she'll eventually end up with deficiencies if that's all she eats. I would recommend getting a high-quality kibble (meat as the first ingredient), and mix in the chicken really well so she'll eat it all. Or canned food if she'll eat it. . .at any rate, she needs a balanced diet. Or learn how to give her a balanced raw or homecooked diet (this requires a lot of research so you don't leave anything out).

Personally, I like to feed my dogs twice a day. I wouldn't like to eat only once a day. Sure, you can get all your daily calories in one sitting, and probably you'd do just fine, but, well, ugh. I would be hungry. I'm sure dogs are the same.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The DNA of dogs are over 99% identical to wolves. Wolves eat at most once a day. The wolf fasts, sometimes for weeks at a time with no harm to its muscles, and occasionally will eat vegetation until it gets a kill. It then eats as much as it can, possibly over 20lbs of meat. Dogs are very similar and will thrive if fed once a day or even less frequently. The key is to feed the dogs raw food only - raw meat, raw eggs, and raw GREEN vegetables (no potatoes or carrots), and very rarely feed them berries. My dogs (german Shepard, black lab, golden retriever) stay outside all day, then around 4PM I run them, then I feed them about 3lbs of raw meat with some greens (peas, green beans...) about 10-20 minutes after the workout. This is identical to how wolves feed in the wild. The wolves almost always searches for prey near dusk, chases it down, then eats a massive post workout meal. My black lab is 11 years old, and honest to God, I had somebody guess that she was 4 years old the other day. The interesting things about this way of eating is that it is pretty much identical to how the human being is designed to eat. Humans have evolved in a very similar way to the k-9 (more reason for why the canine is mans best friend). Humans evolved to gather, hunt, toil, and play during the day while eating light foods like veggies and berries, then concluding the day in the evening with 1-2 large meals that have a large amount of fat and protein.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
TangentPlane - did you know that there is something like a 2.5% difference in DNA that separates humans from mice? What do you have to say about that?

There is nothing wrong with feeding once a day but it does increase risks of bloat so make sure to watch out for that.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
There is nothing wrong with feeding once a day but it does increase risks of bloat so make sure to watch out for that.
No one knows the exact causes for bloat. Ultimately, you have to do what you feel is best. I feed Loki once a day. He's a Dane - absolutely 100% prone to bloat - but I don't for one second believe that him eating only once a day is somehow increasing his risks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
TangentPlane - did you know that there is something like a 2.5% difference in DNA that separates humans from mice? What do you have to say about that?

That is precisely why mice are used in scientific studies to determine cause/effects for humans. Scientists use mice in studies every day to observe effects that they presume will be very similar to what would happen to a human. The truth is it works very well. Humans and mice react almost identically to every stimuli imaginable - food, sleep, chemicals, drugs, etc...

Bloating usually happens to canines for the same reason it happens to humans which is from eating carbohydrate foods like starches, grains, or sugars. Does your dog get bloated from eating raw meat??

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Bloating usually happens to canines for the same reason it happens to humans which is from eating carbohydrate foods like starches, grains, or sugars. Does your dog get bloated from eating raw meat??
Um, "bloating" is an uncomfortable feeling from overeating. "Bloat," in dogs, is a deadly condition that occurs when the stomach becomes distended and/or twisted due to gas accumulation. Not the same thing at all. You're not really helping your case for credibility here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Gas in humans and dogs is created by the bacteria living in our intestines after eating certain foods - mainly carbohydrate foods especially the previously mentioned grains, starches, and sugar, but also fibrous foods like fruits, veggies and legumes. This is why people who are lactose intolerant become extremely gassy. The sugar, lactose, does not get absorbed into the bloodstream, therefore it travels through the intestines, getting consumed by the bacteria which resides there, which then causes the bacteria to release gas. Also, a bloated feeling or distended stomach can occur from the mentioned foods - starches, grains, and sugars - because these foods will not pass through the intestines and colon cleanly, leaving mass throughout. Thousands of human cadavers have been studied and the described phenomena is so common that there are terms for it, one being "resistant starch", basically referring to the starches resistance to being absorbed and assimilated.

·
Banned
1 Posts
I feed my dog once a day tool. In the working days, we are at work. Only my dog is at home. He is lonely... One meal each day.

I feed my dog only once a day, is this bad? I feed her every day around 4-5 PM and sometimes I give her treats around midnight.

The reason why I do this is because she's very, very picky. Usually in the morning we eat things she doesn't (jam, toast, fried eggs, sandwiches) etc, so I wait until lunch because that's when my mother prepares food which includes meat.

What about giving her kibble in the morning and then canned food in the evening? Would that be better? I'm so out of ideas, I really don't know what to feed my dog. She only eats chicken.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts

First off, QUIT FEEDING YOUR DOG TABLE SCRAPS.

Secondly, if she only eats chicken, have you considered switching her to raw? its not that hard to do at all.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Table scraps can be terrific or a disaster. What exactly does your dog get into her tummy on a weekly basis?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts