Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any opinions on feeding wild boar to your dog? I saw on the Natural Balance website that they just came out with a wild boar & brown rice formula in a can. Has anyone tried this yet? My dog is very sensitive to the most common dog food proteins (chicken and duck) and I am researching some options for her. She seems to do OK on their sweet potato & venison L.I.D. can, but I’d like to give her a little variety but wanted some opinions before I buy. Thank you!

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I think it's the same as any pork. But since pork is uncommon in commercial foods it may still be a novel protein for her. Worth a try, unless she's had reactions to pork before.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
It could very well be "wild boar", because wild hogs have taken over in many states and I'll bet the meat can be had for cheap. They're just domestic hogs that have gone feral, so the meat should be the same. But probably less fatty because they get more exercise than confined hogs.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Ethically, I like the idea of dog food made from wild boar. If they are being killed anyway, put the meat to good use.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Orijin uses local ingredients and there are no wild boar in Alberta... that I know of. Maybe Natural Balance is actually using "wild" meat?

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
That was a fact a few years ago. That was the chicken meal.

I hope nobody is using wild meat. Wild boar carry nasty disease and what would the transit times between kill and processing be?

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
If the meat is cooked, does it matter? A lot of people eat meat from wild hogs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all your responses everyone! Since my first post I got a can and we tried it. Sally liked it and it didn’t cause any reactions, so I think we’ll keep it on our list of great allergy foods for her. I think we’ll try the L.I.D. Rabbit & Brown Rice canned flavor next.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts