Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey peeps!

Doing great with the pups, we already weaned them, and they seem to be doing better than when prudi used to care them.

Anyway... i was wondering if we could, or should feed the pups in a single bowl, for all to eat at the same time, or if it would be wise to have a bowl for each puppy?
I've seen people who feed pups in a single bowl, but i'm worried one of the pups might eat alot more than others?

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
I like the idea of separate bowls as one big bowl seems to just invite behavior problems like food aggression down the line. I remember WVasko saying something about this once - that he kenneled his pups at feeding time separately so they could eat alone, so they were still able to socialize with each other for the entire day but didn't have to worry about competition over resources.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
w/ my litter i did both....we started w/ one "pan" that they all ate out of....once they got the eating part down good (not walking thru it too much:D) i switched to separate dishes till they were about 6 wks then i went back to 2 bowls that they shared so they could get used to that part of eating....when one got "aggressive" s/he was removed from the dish for about 10 sec and then let back....i never had any issues after the 1st couple days.....

·
Registered
329 Posts
Ok my take on it all of my puppies are weaned and are fed in one big bowl.I use these bowls they are called flying saucers around here and look like this.
http://www.lcsupply.com/Product/Kennel-Supplies/Stainless-Flying-Saucer-Puppy-Pan.html

If I do have pups that are larger then the others or are more aggressive when eatting I will put the smaller pups in to eat first and then put the larger ones in after around 5 mins or so.I agree if they are growling or fighting then remove that pup for about a min then put them back.I have never had growling ect from pups,I have had them sit on the food or try to push the others out.I have never had a puppy owner call me back and say they had food aggression problems with there pup.I sit with my babies while they eat.I will stick my hands in the bowl and move the food around.Most of the time they are all over me and not the food (except for in the morning then all they think of is food).

I see no need to feed them from seperate bowls until you get close to the time for them to go to there new homes.When I tried that with my first litter they all played musical bowls and started flipping them over it was a mess.

And to think in a few months I will have babies again..I can't wait to kiss those smooshy faces *sigh* ;)

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you:D

I got another question, they are not eating togheter, and usually one will stop eating cause he or she bloats up a bit, then all of them stop eating, but in 3 minutes they all start crying, is this because they want me to feed them for joy, or because they really are hungry??
They all look fed up, with big tummies, so i assume they ate enough?

I'm giving them 240ML which are about 8 oz, 2oz per puppy is this good??

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Most puppies have Round Worms. It is just part of puppies... and the bloating when eating is almost as sure a sign of this as a stool sample. Kittens do the same thing because they often have the same problem.

I am willing to bet they need to be wormed. The worms cause them to bloat and they feel full but have not eaten enough sometimes. Later, when the gas goes down they are hungry again.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Well, that is the best thing. Pups should see the vet.. just to check over all health like heart, lungs and to palpate the organs, take temperature etc. as well as stool samples for worming and recommendations for vaccines.

As you have said, being in Mexico changes the cost of things conssiderably so I will toss this out there:

If you have a scale you can weigh each puppy, take its temperature, count its heart beats per minute and count resting respirations per minute to establish baselines. You can take a stool sample (or samples) to the vet for testing and with the baseline info a vet that knows you can give you the proper dose of wormer per puppy and tell you what worms they have etc.

I will also say this is not as good as taking the animals to the vet for a first time physical.

The wormer prescribed may be Nemix which is Pyrantel Pamoate which is used in dogs, cats, horses and humans and has a very wide safety margin.

I am telling you all this because you ahve indicated an interest in veterinary medicine. It is stuff you will eventually know by heart.

Links for this drug:
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_pyrantel_pamoate.html

and in humans :eek:
http://www.rxmed.com/b.main/b2.phar.../CPS- (General Monographs- C)/COMBANTRIN.html

·
Registered
329 Posts
I worm my puppies from 2 weeks on every week (and make sure you worm the dam) make sure you note down every worming the new puppy owners will need this.Wormers are done by weight you can buy a small scale and weight them yourself (which should be done anyway from birth on).The only thing I have ever heard that is safe for young pups under 6-8 weeks is Pyrantel Pamoate.

Here is what I use
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3307+14028+1430&pcatid=1430

1 - 10 of 10 Posts