Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick question: Sobaka is 7 months old and has been spayed. On the vet sheet I noticed it said to switch spayed animals to adult formula food. I am using the Natural Instinct brand food. For a puppy you are suppose to feed approx. 6 cups of food for an adult dog it says approx 4 cups for a dog that is 100+ lbs when grown. It seems like a big decrease in food amount for a dog who still acts very much like a puppy. If anyone has any thoughts on this I would appreciate it. I have also noticed that some brands like Royal Canin say to keep puppies on the puppy formula till they are a year old...confused!

Thank you

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
The thinking is to keep the dog from getting fat. I wouldn't want to drop the feed that much either. I would feed the way you have been and watch her condition. If she gets plump then cut back the food a bit. Those bags have all these numbers but really, skinny dogs-feed more, fat dogs-feed less.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I never go by what it says on the dog food bag. Most of them will have you way over feeding your dog. I agree with Kathyy that you just pretty much base it on how your dog looks. Keeping a dog a tiny bit toward the thin side is healthier too. Especially for large breed dogs to save those joints.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts