Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Feeding schedule vs. Leaving food out

My girlfriend and I have had a 12 week old lab/shepherd mix for almost 3 weeks now, and at times, he can be a picky eater.

We were told that it's best to have the dog on a set feeding schedule and give them their meals at a specific time instead of leaving the food out all day. Since we've had the dog, we would put 1 cup of Canidae dog food in his bowl, and put it down for him at 6:30am, 12:30pm, and 6:00pm. Sometimes, he would eat 1/2 to 3/4 of a cup, but rarely would he finish what was in his bowl. And often times, he would just take a couple bites and simply walk away.

He's a little bit on the scrawnier side, so the vet set we should be feeding him as much as he's willing to eat. Well.... one time we forgot to take the bowl away after his 6pm meal. About an hour or 2 later, we noticed that he went back to the bowl and started eating again.

This made me wonder whether we should be leaving food out for him all the time since maybe that will make him eat more? Or do we continue to keep him on a set feeding schedule?

Thanks in advance for your help. :)

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
i feel you are doing the right thing by not leaving the food out all day. if you change your routine by leaving it out he might have erratic bowel movements which would make housebreaking harder.
since he needs to put on more weight try feeding him 4 times a day. make sure you leave the food out for at least 15-20 minutes before taking it away. perhaps he might not be eating because he is excited or wants you to stay with him while he eats. maybe he would feel more comfortable if you feed him in another room? these small variations might help...
i know that it might not be realistic to feed that much, so maybe try giving him his kibble as treats when you do training.

good luck with your baby!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts