Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if it is better to split up feedings into twice a day or is once a day better or does it matter? When my Rowdy(mini daschshund) was younger I fed him twice a day since he was a pup, but as he got older I started just feeding him once a day in the mornings because he would have more accidents during the night if I fed him in the evening, and i've continued to do that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also i'm trying to get Rowdy to slim down a little. He is not just overly obese but I think he is overweight. Would splitting his meals up help with his weight?

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
I feed all my dogs two meals a day. I feel it is better for them and in some dogs it helps to prevent bloat. I divide their daily intake up into two meals. Also they won't have to feel hungry all day. :)

You can not always go by the directions on a bag of dog food. Some dogs may need a little more or a little less depending on their metabolism. Cut back just a tiny bit if you feel your dog is overweight. When you get it correct then you can keep it this way unless you see him losing weight and getting too thin.

I took one of my dogs to the vet two days ago .... I thought he was a little pudgy ... he gained two pounds since three months ago ( extra Christmas goodies ) ... vet said he was a good weight. I had thought he needed a diet.....guess not! Lol! :)

If you can feel his ribs and not see his ribs or hip bones sticking out ... and if he has a good tummy tuck and a waistline from an above view...
he should be a good weight. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I was thinking. It seems like he is constantly hungry. I'm not sure if it's just because he is a little pig lol or if he is actually hungry lol I think i'll start feeding twice a day and see how he does. I have to feed my diabetic cat twice a day so i'll just feed the others twice a day too :) Thanks for the info. I haven't been on here long but you are always so helpful!

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Thank you! :) Good luck. I think you will see a difference ... but then again my little pudgy boy LIVES to eat rather than EATS to live. Lol! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts