Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

141 - 160 of 344 Posts

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Max needs 1.5 chicken feet a day so assume that 3 chicken feet is about 2 ounces of bone. Figure turkey necks and pig tails at 40-50% bone at best but of course feed according to the resulting poop, you never know.

Be careful, she is a big girl and any of those bits could be hazardous eating for gulping dogs. I would only buy a few the first time to be sure they will work for her and don't scare you when she eats them.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Thanks, Kathyy. I will hand feed her. I only bought one pack of each item from an Asian market.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I just divided up the package of pork organ meat. It included tongue (muscle meat?), ears (muscle meat?), liver, kidney, heart (muscle meat?) and something I'm not sure about... maybe lung? It was large, thin and bright magenta in color.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Tongue, ears, and heart are meat. Liver and kidney are organ. Lung is arguably fed as meat, but as it tends to make most dogs have loose poop I feed it as if was organ so as not to give too much.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Nice package! Agree with Sibe that it isn't all organs but so what, good stuff in there.

Lung is very light weight and might even float in water. I feed it like heart as it is also rich in minerals and can cause soft poop. It makes great training treats as after cooking it is still very soft and easy to pinch into small bits. It isn't thin in shape though, a slice maybe?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Thin maybe wasn't the best word, but it isn't roundish like the kidneys or heart. The package was a good price, just under $2/pound, which around here is a steal. The Asian market had goat, which is what I originally went for, but it was $8/lb!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Thanks for your help, everyone. I wasn't sure if I had scored or not. I just knew that the packages had good prices on them and included things that looked more like road kill than my supper. LOL If she does well on these I'll go back for more.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Sasha did a great job with chicken feet. The kidney, on the other hand, she practically inhaled, so I'll probably give that to her cubed and maybe even frozen next time. But at least I don't need to worry anymore that she'll chew the bones.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Sasha did a great job with chicken feet. The kidney, on the other hand, she practically inhaled, so I'll probably give that to her cubed and maybe even frozen next time. But at least I don't need to worry anymore that she'll chew the bones.
glad to hear she is coming along.....and now we can add another raw feeder to the world....one small step for man. one huge step for dog kind. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi I just bought some turkey giblets and lamb kidneys from the butcher. I also have chicken necks how would I divy this up to make one serving of a meal. I have a 3 month old min pin by the way. He's 5 lbs. I'm feeding him natures variety raw now. I was thinking NV in the morning and night, then a chicen neck and combination of the turkey giblets and lamb kidneys for lunch. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thx!

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
your dog weighs five pounds. if you are feeding a patty of NV and then you are feeding a chicken neck, you may well be feeding too much and too much bone.

if i'm not mistaken, nature's variety already has bone.

is this the same NV that has veggies and organs and oils in it, too? if so, it's already a compleat diet.

·
Registered
28 Posts
your dog weighs five pounds. if you are feeding a patty of NV and then you are feeding a chicken neck, you may well be feeding too much and too much bone.

if i'm not mistaken, nature's variety already has bone.

is this the same NV that has veggies and organs and oils in it, too? if so, it's already a compleat diet.
Hey thx for replying on my other post. I want to use both so I can stretch out the NV. Not very cheap.

Thx!

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
you could get to the point where you don't have to feed NV at all.....your dog doesn't need most of what's in it...:)

·
Registered
28 Posts
So would say a 5 lb of ground beef/organ/bone mix a sufficient diet with the added tripe and chicken necks throughout the week. I would switch up the food from chicken to beef to rabbit and whatever else is on hare today.

Thx!

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
let's stop the duplicating answers LOL...i just answered you in the other thread....i'm sorry, but i cannot agree with giving this dog so many different raw proteins at once. you are begging for cannon butt.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hello All,
Glad to find this thread, thought I could use some advises.
We started with premium commercial raw food (frozen grind raw food) with Charly when he was around 2-3 months old. He is now almost 3. Being a Basset he is naturally a picky eater. He is however at the perfect weight of 18kg for his age and is of good health. I've been constantly struggling with his picky eating habit except in the cold winter when he has no choice as he needs to keep warm :)

I've in the past tried switching him to unprocessed raw food, such as chicken drumsticks and chicken wings etc, but gave up at the first incident when he had trouble to poop (when he managed, it was soft). Partially also due to the pressures from his Vet who is against giving dogs raw bones (apart from this topic he is an excellent vet).

Few weeks ago, I decided to give it another go, as I was getting really frustrated of throwing away expensive dog food. I started to feed chicken drumstick (minus the sharp tiny bone which I remove), chicken wings, and breast with a little bit of bones, all bought from supermarket for human consumption. Charly loves it, and so far no meals are wasted, if it is not finish today I'll just pick it up and it will be consumed tomorrow (unlike the commercial raw food which expires once thawed for 2 days)

My view is, while the commercial raw food is supposed to be good, (Charly's has no health issue), I don't know what's in it, apart from the label of Beef/Chicken/Duck with some rice, and the fact it is a premium brand which the breeders also use. But if the dog turns his nose on the food, I think it probably is not so tasty. For the record he always love the food again (for a few days) when he is back from animal 'hotel' where he is being fed kibble, whenever we go on holiday, so it can be just his bad habit of being picky.

I've added some minced beef meat to the diet so far, also yesterday I gave him oxtail which he loves!! He is a good chewer and he chewed off the meat until he got on to the small bone and he chewed on that for a good while, until he was having so much joy he started to roll on the grass and I got too worried that he was going to chock on the bone, I removed it. The bone was small but I could see he chew through part of it, which probably means it is safe for consumption had he swallowed it; I was just worried about choking and also blockage, at tiny chance as it might.

I do feel a little guilty reading up comments about 'feeding raw should take intensive researching'; We were feeding raw anyway but the lazier way, where the food is packaged nicely and we just need to thaw it out the day before. I read a lot of dog feeding and have some ideas about how it should be, what not to, etc, but it definitely wasn't an intensive research.

I do not want to mess up Charly's health. So the question here is, am I doing it right so far?
I started with chicken wing/thigh/quarter/breast with bones, the fatty skin removed and the sharp needle bone on the drumstick removed. After 2 weeks i added chicken heart and gizzard, he didn't like it so I baked it and fed it over a week, and will do it again in a couple of weeks. The amount is about perhaps 6-8 chicken hearts and 6-8 gizzards fed as treats for a week.
I now added oxtail, minced beef and also started to freeze up pork ribs (I read freezing the pork for at least 21 days should kill the bacteria) for near future use. I've occasionally also feed beef cut (lean meat).
I plan to add chicken liver (also bake as the dog doesn't like it raw) and will try to find some beef heart.

Is this enough variety for a month or 2? My partner is not fond of this type of raw feeding (he prefers the "safe", nutrient well calculated commercial raw food), but he has seen the changes in Charly when it comes to feeding time. My plan is to utilize this short period of time to convince my partner that it is OK, if not better, to self manage raw feeding. Charly's teeth are getting a little bit yellowish which I hope the new diet will help to remove the tartar as well. Budget wise I don't find it too expensive considering I kept throwing the food away and had to open a new package as the old one gets stale.

Charly does gets some healthy table scraps from us (the food we eat, not the food we throw away); For instance, every morning he gets some small bites from our wholegrain breads with a little bit of peanut butter (Omega 3?), lunch time he get some cheese (he loves it) and also bits of ham or chicken fillet, and bits of hard boiled egg.

I probably shouldn't be worried about the complete nutrient, I am not a fan of supplements, but I am curious about your comments, and your suggestions on how I can improve.

Thanks in advance!

P/S: I also added some tripe to his diet occasionally. it is commercial tripe for dog called Rodi. It is very smelly so I feed it only once in a month or so.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
i think you're doing fine. when we talk about research, we mean reading on what is species appropriate for feeding your dog and how to transition your dog from kibble to raw.

the intensive research to me is worth it, because i research everything that goes into my mouth. i would do no less for my dog.

i've seen others who buy some chicken, feed it. if all is well, they continue introducing proteins until they get to around four different proteins and then they feel good, the dog looks good and feels good....

try not to give him baked chicken gizzards and hearts. it defeats the purpose. if he is a picky eater, it's because you're allowing it.

if my dogs, especially in the beginning, did not eat something i put down for them, they had twenty minutes. if they still didn't eat it, it was fed to them at the next meal. it is not cruel. as long as they drank water, they didn't starve...but they learned to eat what i fed them...that is my job to give them the best i can. their job is to eat what i serve.

usually the people i meet up with on forums are those like you, like me two years ago who just wanted to check to see if they were doing this right and how else to tweak the dog's diet or how to stop runny stools or too chalky a stool or to better benefit their dogs.

i think going as slowly as possible is the way to go. that is how i did it with my dogs and they can now eat a variety of animal parts without issue.

as long as his stools remain stable, not too chalky and not liquid....a little soft is okay. perfect stools are not key. formed stools are.

oxtail does have little bones. true. i personally don't feed them. i like chicken feet and quail and pork ribs and duck necks, as an example of bonier parts of meals.

where do you live and how much does your dog weigh? ideal weight of dog determines, usually, how much you'll feed. also the dog's metabolism and activity level.

your partner will change his tune when charly, in six months, is the most gorgeous dog he's ever seen.

yes, that diet is good for the next month or so.

as long as charly is adapting to what you're feeding him, all is well. just go slowly...

in a few months you'll want to start feeding liver, about 5% of his overall diet and then you'll start to feed 5% of another organ. this is where charly gets his vitamins...

beef heart is not an organ. it is a rich muscle meat. please wait a little while on that. and serve it with a bony meal.

give charly a chance to adapt to raw and strengthen his teeth and jaws and muscles.

you don't have to remove that little bone, but i suggest feeding quarters, rather than drumsticks....he's a basset hound. he can handle bigger food. many people buy whole chickens and cut them right down the middle and then cut them again, to make four whole pieces....it might be cheaper that way.

pork ribs, if you are in the usa, do not have to be frozen. the last case of trich was in 2002, i believe. i had a chart somewhere, but i don't remember where i put it from the CDC.

wild boar or hog, on the other hand, is not safe to feed without freezing. see.

if you can get beef ribs down the line, not now....give him a slab of two or three ribs that are connected and let him enjoy them. also, do not feed any grocery store cuts of pork necks as the saw they use creates sharp corners.

that's good for a start...once you're in for a few months, you'll have given him chicken, pork, beef, and even turkey or fish....

he should no longer get table scraps, especially bread. no dog needs grains. bread has sugar and not good for his teeth. once my dogs were raw fed, they no longer get table scraps.

charly will go through a detox maybe....mine did..and they looked terrible, smelled like chicken....:) and it seemed that nothing was working.

it will. be patient.

in a few months, you can give fish oil (from sardines, mackerel, herring, with vitamin E - no soy - no mixed tocopherols). good for giving dietary fat and omega threes.

tripe is good. i prefer tripe from either hare-today.com or greentripe.com or if you know farmers who will give it to you, all the better.

the closer to nature you feed, the better it is for the dog.

hope this helped.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I like that you are going slowly on this. Try baking the hearts, livers and gizzards less each time and as he accepts them cut down on the cooking even more. I prefer boiling meats I need to cook, the broth is tasty stuff too. There is a carton with broth ice cubes in the freezer, tasty treats for warm days.

I would be measuring how much food goes into him though. Weigh out 2-3 days worth and that is it. It is easy to overdo treats especially and loose stool is very discouraging. He seems very light for a Bassett, good job, 2-2.5% of his ideal body weight is the usual starting point. To keep him eager feeding less may work better than feeding more. As in, if he is a bit hungry he may sample those icky hearts, gizzards and livers while if he is full he will just leave them as you work to cook them less and less.

When moving on stick to one protein at a time. I was extremely methodical about this. Fed bony chicken until poop was good and then just fed somewhat less chicken meat but the same amount of bone and a bite then 2>3>4 bites of the new protein until Max was eating about half new boneless protein and half very bony chicken. Once he was on the meats I was sourcing regularly I started on the organs and only started with about 10% his ultimate serving size the first day. Max adores all organs, I didn't have any issues with refusal.

I am going to feed only chicken bone until the dog is well accustomed to raw. Early on in his raw fed career Max pooped out a whole completely undigested chicken neck he neglected to put any tooth marks in. Last year that oxtail bone he swallowed was completely digested. Takes a while for the gut to get up to speed I guess. Learning to break up and digest whole bone is different from digesting ground. Any dogs I get will start eating pork, turkey, rabbit and the rest of the edible bones after they have been introduced to all the meats and organs and probably have started eating larger/smaller meals and their guts function well on closer to the suggested 10% bone rather than the 30% we suggest starting the dogs on.

Max gets peanut butter after he gets his supplements. His lower than 2% raw diet is a bit low in omega 3 [fish oil], vitamin E [nearly all of us are], zinc/magnesium/manganese [that >2%]. It turns out it is a pretty good source of vitamin E, manganese and especially magnesium. Search through a site such as this one http://nutritiondata.self.com/tools/nutrient-search to find whole foods that will work for you. For instance, oysters work as a super source of zinc if you care to feed a couple a week. It just confuses the issue feeding such stuff starting out, he will be fine for months with a diet a bit lower than optimum.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey I have a 3 month old puppy and I have been feeding him natures variety raw. I am soon going to get him on a full raw diet but I'm new so I really don't want to do it myself from a butcher per say. Check out haretoday.com they have a lot of pre ground meat organs bone mixes. They have whole carcasses too if that's your deal.

141 - 160 of 344 Posts