Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

341 - 344 of 344 Posts

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Feeding bone once a week not a good idea. The dogs will have concrete stool from too much bone after eating it, not be able to get all the calcium they need because they had to excrete the excess and are likely to have soft stool for half the week. It's not fun but it is possible to cut necks up. I love giving turkey necks but stick to chicken necks just because I don't have to cut them.

2 chicken necks is a lot less bone than 1 turkey neck. 10 ounces of turkey neck has 4.5 ounces of bone where 10 ounces of skinned chicken neck have about 7. The turkey necks I see are more like a pound so would have about 7 ounces of bone while the scrawny skinned chicken necks that weigh a bit more than an ounce likely have .7 ounces of bone. Remember the diet is 10% bone. If your dogs eat 70 ounces a day then a turkey neck daily would be perfect. My dogs don't even get 70 ounces weekly!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Feeding bone once a week not a good idea. The dogs will have concrete stool from too much bone after eating it, not be able to get all the calcium they need because they had to excrete the excess and are likely to have soft stool for half the week. It's not fun but it is possible to cut necks up. I love giving turkey necks but stick to chicken necks just because I don't have to cut them.

2 chicken necks is a lot less bone than 1 turkey neck. 10 ounces of turkey neck has 4.5 ounces of bone where 10 ounces of skinned chicken neck have about 7. The turkey necks I see are more like a pound so would have about 7 ounces of bone while the scrawny skinned chicken necks that weigh a bit more than an ounce likely have .7 ounces of bone. Remember the diet is 10% bone. If your dogs eat 70 ounces a day then a turkey neck daily would be perfect. My dogs don't even get 70 ounces weekly!
Sorry to ask a noob question, but I've always heard chicken bones are bad for dogs (choking). So the neck bones are OK for them? Our dog loves chicken but I haven't ever given her bones.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Sorry to ask a noob question, but I've always heard chicken bones are bad for dogs (choking). So the neck bones are OK for them? Our dog loves chicken but I haven't ever given her bones.
Chicken bones are only bad for dogs if they are cooked. Raw chicken bones are suitable for most dogs. Large dogs potentially could try to swallow a chicken neck or wing whole, which could pose a choking hazard. I have two giant dogs who eat chicken necks because they are good and safe chewers. But raw chicken bones in general are safe.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Chicken bones are only bad for dogs if they are cooked. Raw chicken bones are suitable for most dogs. Large dogs potentially could try to swallow a chicken neck or wing whole, which could pose a choking hazard. I have two giant dogs who eat chicken necks because they are good and safe chewers. But raw chicken bones in general are safe.
Thank you, I appreciate it.

341 - 344 of 344 Posts