Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

281 - 300 of 344 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
I figure with Cosmo, a small amount of meat will probably go a long way. Eventually I want to convince his mother to get Koko on raw. That dog has struggled with weight for a while from what I've heard (as of this month I've only been here for a year so I'm not sure of what happened previous), and I believe getting her on raw could help. She is INSANELY active, with no thyroid problems, but just has problems with weight. And she is on Beneful (poor gal).

I think I may propose that two month idea. I'll probably end up taking a before and after picture of Cosmo to show him the difference, but I do appreciate the fact that if the raw food doesn't go over well at the vet, he's definitely up for putting him on much better dry food! (Which is better then Purina!!). I like the idea of the Tupperware containers, and I have a feeling since Cosmo is so small what I might end up doing is packaging as a week's worth of food per container. And then feed 6 ounces out of that container (of various items) per day, that way I can change it up and also make SURE I am giving him everything I need.

What is better to start off with? The Chicken necks? or the quarters/backs? He will end up getting about 6 ounces of food a day, but as a puppy I'll probably be feeding him about 3-4 ounces of food per meal.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Haha exactly. I was terrified when I first had to make it on my own!! I'm so much more comfortable/confident with it now :p
I don't feel too worried at the moment. I was more concerned when looking at BARF-style diets as people were talking about all these phosphorous/calcium levels and everything going wrong, but I found that the PMR type diets, seem to make it all a hell of a lot easier lol!

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
A week of meat is going to get sort of stinky as it will be wet in the bin. Make the bins more like 3 day sized. The ones I have are quart sized and hold 2 pounds if packed tight, smaller might be fine for you.

I would plan to balance daily for a couple months. You don't know what Cosmo's gut is going to be happy with. Max is a struggle to feed bone every other day and Ginger is fine with bone every 4 days and was able to do boneless every other day after a month on raw! Some dogs take months to get off plain chicken and even need to stay on super bony backs for weeks.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Both backs and necks have a high content of bone, so either one would be fine. At Cosmo's size, probably going with the back will be better since chicken necks tend to be pretty small.

My dog is 7.5 lbs so I use 3 day tupperwares. Like Kathyy has pointed out, a week's worth is going to get smelly by the end of the week. I use tupperwares that are larger than needed because sometimes I have complicated chews/pieces in there. Another good idea is just using shopping bags. I know a lot of people with larger dogs do it. I also use ziplocs if I don't have tupperwares handy :)

Oh yeah, BARF is SO complicated!! Very easy to mess up. I've been doing PMR for almost a year now with great results :) I also find that all of my pets LOVE their food (even the ones that used to be picky), and I think they find it more mentally stimulating (since they have to use their paws and gnaw, etc.).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Wow - so much good info! I got the urge to feed Dukey raw shortly after we adopted him last January (wow - almost a year now!). He is one happy & healthy puppy! As for vets - yeah, you can tell their training by their response. The first vet he saw at the center said "fine, but be sure to supplement with dog food to get the other nutrients" (I ignored him, as I'd researched & knew better). For Dukey's check-up a few months ago, we saw a different vet - she was like "he's healthy & looks great & happy - keep doing what is working!" Needless to say, I will prefer to see her in the future. After reading the posts & link sites here, I think I need to add some organ meats, though - liver or kidneys. Otherwise, he's happy with his chicken back & gizzards for breakfast, & then a few pieces of beef heart & a beef neck bone to chew on for dinner!

Does anyone here give other treats during the day - for training or just 'cuz? I like to use the Milo's chicken meatballs & beef grillers. Thoughts?

As for websites - while I can't give anything new, I love this site because his recipes are funny (read a few...you'll get the pattern & then smile!), and his terms & quotes had me in hysterics!

http://www.rawfeddogs.net/

Oh - and my method is to buy about 2 weeks of food (in Florida, Publix carries those odd pieces; where I live there aren't any butchers!), and I put it into ziploc baggies and freeze. I always have 2 days in the fridge: today & tomorrow. Today, at dinner, I take out the new bag for 2 days from now so it's thawed by the day I need to use it - does that make sense? Then I never have much raw meat thawing in the fridge. I also store the bags/bones/anything raw & bloody that isn't consumed in the baggies, in another bag & in a container in the fridge until garbage night - saves the garbage from becoming stinky. I live in the suburbs, so I don't have the same options as country folks (of whom I'm just a bit jealous!).

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Yes, you really need to add organ. Liver should by around 5% of the diet as it's packed with vitamins and nutrients. Other organ is crucial too. Kidney, brain, spleen, pancreas..

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
I would never give Milo's Kitchen anything, they source from China and their chicken jerky was in part responsible for the HUNDREDS of dogs that died, let alone how many got sick. Currently I get Zuke's for storebought treats, and I also do homemade liver treats. I boil the liver until it's cooked, then cool/strain, and cut into little pieces, then bake at 250* for about an hour so they are a little crunchy.

I also bulk buy, a couple times a month or so :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Oh wow - thanks! Didn't know that about Milos! I've never heard of Zukes - will have to look for it. I'll also have to try your recipe - sounds yummy (if you're a dog...)!

·
Registered
4,849 Posts

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
If you are offering bony meat twice a day he could be getting a lot more bone than he needs. Too much bone means too much phosphorus and calcium and more is not better. My 33 pound Max adores chicken backs but a whole back is enough bone for half a week all on its own.

I usually only offer up kidney and liver too. If you happen upon an ethnic market and that market happens to have pig or lamb heads then you could offer brain and eye if you are up to it. Heads aren't easy to feed but are one of Max's absolute favorite raw meals, a super food puzzle.

Currently the dogs are getting home dried hot dog bits and string cheese as treats. If the meat in the bin didn't come out even I slice thin and cook at 300*F until it is dry. And I pass out dinner bit by bit some days as well. Ginger is a terrible catch but she manages to catch a few bits of her dinner this afternoon!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Didn't know that - he doesn't normally consume the beef neck bone, just the meat off of it. He does naw on it a bit, but I think more for the sake of feeling good than getting bone. I appreciate the backs because they are the most economical pieces I can get - anything without bone is out of my budget (for dog & people!). Are there any signs I'd see if he was getting too much bone? I didn't realize that little back would be too much!

As for cheese - I've heard for years about dogs being lactose intolerant, yet I see cheese often on posts. Do you have more info?

As for ethnic markets - I've looked around, and there aren't any where we are. Pitiful, I know! I wish I could find a butcher or some place that I could get decent scraps from. There aren't hunting grounds around either, to get leftovers from them.

·
Registered
11,253 Posts
I can't believe that the Vero Beach-Palm Bay area and nearby doesn't have any Latino markets. Also, the smaller grocery chains like Save-A-Lot that are in Hispanic or Asian neighborhoods tend to stock a wide variety of meats.

At my local grocery store (not an ethnic market although there are plenty of those), I can get rabbit, chicken feet, beef kidney, beef liver, pork feet, cow feet, and a good selection of more "normal" cuts of chicken, beef and pork.

I haven't had a dog have issues with a small amount of cheese but I'm sure some dogs do have problems with it or that too much could cause digestive upset. I only use maybe half a slice of cheese as a high value training treat, not as part of their food.

For cheap animal parts without bone-- chicken gizzards and hearts, beef hearts (all muscle meat), or buy a whole turkey or such on sale and de-bone it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm further south - St Lucie county; but we do have a Save-A-Lot that I pass on the way to work. Never been there - I will have to stop & look - thanks for the tip! There are a couple of markets in Ft Pierce, but they didn't have much. I may look again this weekend - there is a more local grocery store. I've never stopped there mostly because I'm not sure of the neighborhood!

Cheese - I see - that's what I've done with Dukey - a bit of cheese now & again as a treat/reward

The non-bone parts - I do give him gizzards & hearts - guess I should increase those & decrease the bones then! Thought it was better the other way around. I'm not great at de-boning! Not squeamish, just not talented.

I REALLY appreciate your great input here.

·
Registered
11,253 Posts
The best supermarkets are the ones you'd never think to shop at. That can be true both for meat for the dogs and for neat foodie finds for yourself.

I went searching at a Vietnamese market for random cuts of meat and also found some frozen fish with chili and lime rub, almond cookies and some nice sweet bean buns. I split the chicken hearts I got there for a $1 per pound between the dogs and me. I sauteed mine with a soy-ginger sauce and sliced them thinly. Very tasty.

I'm not a super experienced raw feeder, but the 80-10-10 raw model is working as it should be. 80% muscle meat, 10% bone, 10% organ (liver, kidney, pancreas). Some days more bone, some days less. Evens out over a week. The dogs love beef liver and kidney, way more than chicken liver.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ah - good to know, because Dukey didn't like chilcken livers, so I gave up on that area totally! I'll try the beef. I got pork once, he wasn't impressed, & since we don't eat pork I didn't push it!

As for what you're eating as well...you are braver than I! I'm not too varied in my tastes. :)

·
Registered
11,253 Posts
Ah - good to know, because Dukey didn't like chilcken livers, so I gave up on that area totally! I'll try the beef. I got pork once, he wasn't impressed, & since we don't eat pork I didn't push it!

As for what you're eating as well...you are braver than I! I'm not too varied in my tastes. :)
My HOUND dog (as in, eater of all that might even possibly be food) refuses chicken liver. Beef is a totally hit though.

Look at Urbanspoon and Yelp for markets in your area.

It might be worth it also to call a butcher in a major city (even a hour's drive away) if you can get a large portion of random meat cuts for a good price on a once a month trip there. Heart, tripe, the "chewy bits" like beef trachea and gullet and such can be cheap from an old school butchers shop.

Ask everyone you know for their freezer burned meat. Freezer burn is a texture thing, not a safety thing. As long as the meat has been frozen continuously, it is safe to eat (even for humans when cooked of course) but it loses moisture and the texture changes which is why people prefer not to eat it but dogs don't care at all.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Dogs don't care - I'd say that about sums up 98% of dogs attitude for food - LOL!!!! :)

I'll check out those sites...if I had a freezer it would be SO worth a trip to fill it! Hmm...tax return season approaching...

Okay, I checked out Urban Spoon - they list restaurants? Yelp looks like it might have some info - I'll make calls & see what they have. But I don't know that I can ever give him eyeballs...!

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
I only feed partial raw, kibble in AM/raw in PM, and have been feeding raw since September. I give chicken quarters, chicken feet, and turkey necks as the boney meals which I only feed 2-3 times a week. Jubel doesn't really need more bone. I don't know actual percentages of bone in his diet just adjust as needed based on his poop and make sure one of his boney meals is between his organ meal days.

He gets his weekly serving of liver one day a week and a equal portion of another organ (kidney, pancreas, brain) another day of the week. Boneless meats the rest of the week: pork shoulder, ground beef, ground green tripe, beef lung, salmon (fed once a week), beef heart, chicken heart, chicken gizzard, and I splurged on ground rabbit this order.

As for dairy I give occasional cheese bits with no issues but when I started adding a spoon on yogurt to his meals it upset his stomach. No more yogurt stomach upset went away. So yeah my dog doesn't do dairy well.

·
Registered
11,253 Posts
Okay, I checked out Urban Spoon - they list restaurants? Yelp looks like it might have some info - I'll make calls & see what they have. But I don't know that I can ever give him eyeballs...!
yeah, Urbanspoon is mostly restaurants but some restaurants are associated with meat markets (and not that kind of meat market) or small grocery stores. Like my favorite taqueria is part of a grocery store and carniceria.

Eyeballs are ick. Although, fish eyeballs taste like caviar and have a similar texture so those are kinda yum.

281 - 300 of 344 Posts