Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new here and freaking out just a tad bit because there is an Akita at the Memphis animal shelter with heartworms... And my mom (I'm 17) doesn't want to let me foster her. Which was fine and dandy (as long as I had time to keep arguing my case) until I saw that she seems to be getting put down on Saturday. Which is not fine and dandy.

I have two dogs. Brittany and Bello, who are raw fed. And since I don't think my vet is holistic (food has never come up), would feeding a dog who is undergoing treatment to get rid of heartworms be okay? Has anyone done this? I love feeding raw. Dogs love being fed raw. And it's ALOT cheaper. I really would hate to foster her and have her put on kibble because I would want to feed her Orijen, and more then likely not afford it.

-and now I'll actually go to my profile and try to make it look like I'm an actual member (because I do plan on becoming active I've been needing a new dog forum) and I need something to do so I don't throw up with stress-

·
Registered
801 Posts
I don't see how it would matter what you feed but then I'm not a vet so I would just ask a vet. There are also other high quality kibbles besides Orijen that are much cheaper like Blue, Taste of the Wild, etc.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I wouldn't feed a dog with any health issues a raw diet as their immune system is probably compromised & wouldn't be able to handle bacteria that may be present in raw food the way a healthy dog would.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I don't see why it would be an issue...heartworm is all in the heart/veins/blood...not in the digestive tract. What you need to be careful about with HW+ dogs is keeping them calm and restricting their exercise so their blood pressure doesn't go up. If the blood pressure goes up, it could cause the worm to break free...which means it can travel to the brain via the blood and go from bad to to extremely bad really fast. A good, well balanced raw diet is going to do nothing but help keep the dog healthy in other aspects of her life. I just fostered a HW+ dog, and though I didn't feed her raw, I did give her a multivitamin every day, just to make sure that she was getting everything she needed to keep her body as healthy as possible.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.